Algae Identification

Chris444

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea what time of algae it can be? It reproduces very quickly. Growns on everything apart from glass.
I have no idea how to fight with it.

20191011_182000.jpg 20191011_182016.jpg

OP
OP
Chris444

Chris444

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also my Nitrate is 2ppm and Phosphate 0 all the time, So possibly it consumes it all.

OP
OP
Chris444

Chris444

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont know if it makes a difference but a tank has been recently moved. As I have moved house a month ago

dvanrij

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bump was to keep your thread on the first page of the recent activity que so that you get more eyes on the thread. I don’t know what the algae is and would also want to find out what it is. I’m trying to help you out without directly answering your question.

dvanrij

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How diffuse is it? Is it confined to a specific area? Is it only growing in the sand bed?

dvanrij

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How diffuse is it? Is it confined to a specific area? Is it only growing in the sand bed?
Disregard please I reread you OP. It could be very possible that it’s keeping your nitrates low. I would remove as much as humanely possible then retest after 24-48 hours. If your nitrates shoot up it would confirm that it’s keeping them low. I would then take the normal steps to keep your nitrates low and starve it out. If it’s a bacteria issue maybe a UV sterilizer or maybe a dose of antibiotics would kill it.

Bret Brinkmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like some kind of bacteria. I recommend manual removal and cerith snails which are great for cleaning sand. Mine eat most bacteria in addition to algae and diatoms.

Your nitrates aren't overly high. Most people that keep corals maintain nitrates around that level or more. Bottoming out phosphates can cause a dino bloom though. What test kit are you using for phosphates? Some don't have the refinement or accuracy needed to measure down to the desired levels to keep coral or prevent dino blooms. Most people with corals keep phosphates between 0.03 and 0.5 ppm.

OP
OP
Chris444

Chris444

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like some kind of bacteria. I recommend manual removal and cerith snails which are great for cleaning sand. Mine eat most bacteria in addition to algae and diatoms.

Your nitrates aren't overly high. Most people that keep corals maintain nitrates around that level or more. Bottoming out phosphates can cause a dino bloom though. What test kit are you using for phosphates? Some don't have the refinement or accuracy needed to measure down to the desired levels to keep coral or prevent dino blooms. Most people with corals keep phosphates between 0.03 and 0.5 ppm.
I use salifert test kit. I think it could be some type of bacteria as since yesterday the water has a bad/strange smell.
Any idea how to control or ideally get rid of it? What type of bacteria it could be?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 130 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back