Algae identification

Screasey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, can someone please help identify this algae. It's growing on one of my snails and a growth on a rock. The whole of my tank is kind of covered in small hair like reddish brown algae aswell.

IMG_20210818_204845_10.jpg IMG_20210818_204859_57.jpg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely some from of hair algae that came with the snail. If the stuff on the rock blows of it might be cyano. It also might be cyano attaching to the hair algae

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a new setup. I'd remove the algae, but if this is new it will be replaced. Maybe by something new. Eventually by something else, maybe green this time. Then brown. Then red again. Then furry. Then green. Finally pink. All naturally just doing the maturation thing.

OP
OP
Screasey

Screasey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a new setup. I'd remove the algae, but if this is new it will be replaced. Maybe by something new. Eventually by something else, maybe green this time. Then brown. Then red again. Then furry. Then green. Finally pink. All naturally just doing the maturation thing.
What I've done is sucked out the blob that was on the rock, snail taken out and cleaned up and put back in, looks reddish brown in the tank but when taken out it's more a green colour. Hopefully just part of the process, tank is only 2 months old.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I've done is sucked out the blob that was on the rock, snail taken out and cleaned up and put back in, looks reddish brown in the tank but when taken out it's more a green colour. Hopefully just part of the process, tank is only 2 months old.
Perfect.

No need to sweat the upcoming changes in competitors for space. It is an evolving set of plant and animal winners/losers for a while. As long as you keep steady temps, salinity, and some nutrient passing through the system you will end up in a "steady state" some 12-18 months from now. You can accelerate with live rock, but as long as you keep the basic parameters stable you will get to the same place without.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back