Algae in middle of favia. What can I do?

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve got this bejeweled favia with algae in the middle. The coral is healthy and spreading down the sides of the plug, but as it grows it’s been leaving little bare areas between the polyps on the original rock it it’s on. Since no snails can get at those parts, algae has started to grow. Any idea what I can do to kill this algae? I was tempted to try hydrogen peroxide like I do on frag plug bases but there really not any way to avoid getting it directly on the coral. Anyone done a diluted peroxide dip on a favia?

708268FA-9A64-4352-AECE-FAC62EB0C05B.jpeg

OP
OP
trmiv

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve tried but it’s too easy to damage the coral flesh while doing that.

AmaleeC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve tried but it’s too easy to damage the coral flesh while doing that.
You may also want to try using a turkey baster to get it off, but if that is not an option — try dosing Vibrant. It’ll take about two weeks to kick in, but it’ll slowly do the trick.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used peroxide dips on just about all types of corals from softies, lps, sps.. you name it. Never had any issues. I would start with a roughly 25% peroxide 75% tank water mix for a couple minute dunk and see how that goes. May take a few days to see the results. Can always repeat too in a week if needed

OP
OP
trmiv

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well I tried the scraping with a dental pick and that didn’t do much. It got rid of some algae but damaged the coral in places. Waited a few days for the coral to recover and tried 75% tank water and 25% peroxide dip for two minutes yesterday. The algae is now dead but so is the coral. It rapidly deteriorated hours after the peroxide dip and is now 90% dead. i should have just left it alone.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used peroxide on zoas only...they did get pretty upset but they bounced back. Don’t give up on it just yet! Maybe put it in a shaded spot to see if it recovers?

OP
OP
trmiv

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yea I’ll stick it back in the tank. My experience with these flat encrusting type favia though is once they start going downhill it’s really tough to get them to recover, so I’m not confident especially given how much flesh died off.

OP
OP
trmiv

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I stuck this in the back corner of my tank in low light. It was a dead skeleton. Lately I’ve been noticing some color on it. Appears a small bit of the favia is starting to grow again.

A4281098-05CC-4C2B-87AC-EC4C26ABE89A.jpeg

OP
OP
trmiv

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Further progress on this coral making its return from the dead. Life uh....finds a way. It was a totally white skeleton when I stuck in a shaded area in the back.

5451F6DC-213B-4D1A-9D96-7D52AF0F56BC.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back