Algae infested test tank - glucose + vinegar experiment

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to make a fun experiment to observe the effects of glucose and vinegar in this 10 gallon tank.

I used water from my display with a piece of live calcium carbonate from the tank. The sand was dry.

I put on the lights and observed algaes of many types (not microscoped). I see GHA and cyano.

I also believe I see Dinos/diatoms. I haven’t microscoped it yet.

I made a solution of 500g vinegar and 1tsp glucose. I dosed about 1mL of this solution to the tank.

It winds up being 1mL of vinegar and 0.002tsp of glucose.

Here’s day 1 right after my first dose of the carbon source.

70A6A2ED-A3CF-4E5D-8A59-3CBD6D92947E.jpeg
4C7F0DF3-E526-4102-A7EB-67C3D1BD7127.jpeg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(Other parameters of the experiment)
Age of the tank?
I think I see circulation.
Temperature?
Light source, hours of illumination?
Hypothesis?
Duration of experiment (going forward?)

:cool:

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Age of the tank?
Temperature?
Hypothesis?

I am actually shaking my nitrate test right now. I never tested anything until now.

The tank is a month old. I will answer the questions soon. :)

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parameters:

Temperature: 79.5F
Salinity: 1.025 (refractometer)
nitrate: 3.5ppm (Hannah HR)
phosphates: 0.01ppm

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious why do you think glucose+vinegar makes a difference?

Hi,

Just to provide an update. It appears that carbon sources containing glucose (sugar) are more effective. We have found faster recession of dinos using traditional vodka+vinegar+sugar and Xepta NP, than Red Sea NO3 : PO4-X.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Age of the tank?
Temperature?
Hypothesis?

I have a powerhead causing a lot of ripples on the surface of the water + a HOB with filter floss.

I have ai hydra 52HD running these settings for 8 hours a day

BE9ABF15-B14D-41CD-A1FD-6C69F35B6F1F.png

I think the tank will become super clean after consistently dosing a carbon source with glucose. Just a hypothesis. I think the Dinos will go away.

I will not dose any nutrients to prevent variables.

Duration of experiment: Indefinite. I just want to play around with algae and carbon haha.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dinos are ostreopsis.
you're set up for some interesting observations.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can you walk by this and not wipe the glass? :cool:
Photographic note; The picture day 2 had a good frame reference and distance from the tank. Consistency between day photos will improve visual evaluations by 50% to 100%, or some random statistic I forgot already?
Merry Christmas Eve!

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can you walk by this and not wipe the glass? :cool:
Photographic note; The picture day 2 had a good frame reference and distance from the tank. Consistency between day photos will improve visual evaluations by 50% to 100%, or some random statistic I forgot already?
Merry Christmas Eve!
lol

I don’t have anything in this tank that I like. The algae is the most interesting thing, so wiping it will make it boring ha.

I will try to keep the photography consistent. :)

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol

I don’t have anything in this tank that I like. The algae is the most interesting thing, so wiping it will make it boring ha.

I will try to keep the photography consistent. :)
No, I was thinking that someone on the ADD spectrum would walk by the tank and by impulse grab a cleaning pad and just wipe the glass for you.

Another idea, maybe add a secchi disk or some other object (outside, flat on the back panel that could help sea changes)

I forgot how to spell schski

edit: I'm really glad you are doing this investigation, thanks for it! KrisReef

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you need to be dosing ammonia to the system for a valid test, able to extrapolate to anything we'd see in reefing. our reefs are algae challenges among things that constantly produce waste that algae loves, I noticed above that is a very good test tank but is it being starved of nitrogen>

the algae will starve of nitrogen if you aren't simulating a common bioload, and it's loss will be attributed to whatever mixes are being added in test. several drops of dr tims cycling ammonia routinely lets the algae feed correctly, and then your test additions might overcome their natural growth ability.

you need to be adding either fish food or cycling ammonia in my opinion, anyone can just starve out algae in water if they don't give nitrogen long enough.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you need to be dosing ammonia to the system for a valid test, able to extrapolate to anything we'd see in reefing. our reefs are algae challenges among things that constantly produce waste that algae loves, I noticed above that is a very good test tank but is it being starved of nitrogen>

the algae will starve of nitrogen if you aren't simulating a common bioload, and it's loss will be attributed to whatever mixes are being added in test. several drops of dr tims cycling ammonia routinely lets the algae feed correctly, and then your test additions might overcome their natural growth ability.

you need to be adding either fish food or cycling ammonia in my opinion, anyone can just starve out algae in water if they don't give nitrogen long enough.
@taricha

Does this sound like a good idea? I don’t want to add more variables, but I was thinking of adding some source of N P to simulate a tank.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dosing ammonium chloride wouldn’t mimic reef conditions and could mess up the test imo. Looking at the current set up my guess is that the algae would really starve in a short period of time.

Last edited:

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 51 55.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 28 30.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.6%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back