Algae is taking over my coral help

reefingBeAmazin22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m like about 6 weeks into my tank, probably still in my ugly phase so I’ve been kinda chill at just like riding it out, but my tank looks kinda gross right now, my zoa is in the process of splitting but there’s algae all over the coral frag and the coral itself, right now he’s closed up too, I’ve got an emerald crab, which has been eating my bubble algae, 2 Nessarius snails, 2 bumblebee snails, and 2 hermits, should I get more cleanup crew, And my zoa doesn’t look to good, he’s all close up

Last edited:

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m like about 6 weeks into my tank, probably still in my ugly phase so I’ve been kinda chill at just like riding it out, but my tank looks kinda gross right now, my zoa is in the process of splitting but there’s algae all over the coral frag and the coral itself, right now he’s closed up too, I’ve got an emerald crab, which has been eating my bubble algae, 2 Nessarius snails, 2 bumblebee snails, and 2 hermits, should I get more cleanup crew, And my zoa doesn’t look to good, he’s all close up
I think you need snails that eat algae and diatoms, because the ones you have now don’t.
I would get astrea snails or trochus. If you have bare bottom astrea are perfect, but in sand they won’t be able to flip themselves over if the fall. Trochus can flip back over but are more expensive.

OP
OP
R

reefingBeAmazin22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you need snails that eat algae and diatoms, because the ones you have now don’t.
I would get astrea snails or trochus. If you have bare bottom astrea are perfect, but in sand they won’t be able to flip themselves over if the fall. Trochus can flip back over but are more expensive.
Yeah my bumble bee snails are like the most useless member of my clean up crew, they eat a little and theN Don’t for like a day
image.jpg
image.jpg

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumblebee snails eat meat not algae. They really are not considered reef safe because they may eat other invertebrates. They look cool, but I would watch them carefully or trade them for algae/diatom eaters.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back