Algae issue....Please Help!

Ry1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys so my 100L tank is having Algae issue, not sure what kind or what is causing it. It is 10 month old. Just tested now and these are the parameters.

Amm-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-2
Phos-0.05
Cal-380
Mag-1180
Ph-8.0
Salinity- 1.025
Alk- 7.0 (raising it currently)

I have a filter bag in the back with some Phosguard in as i thought it might be the issue but as i remove it comes back after 2 week or so, its really getting me down so any help will be greatly appreciated.

2CDB4075-C5A7-4E4A-9A71-F7528DAE9E9B.jpeg AA396314-3BFA-430B-9F26-1DA07314B395.jpeg

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may be wrong, but looks more like a green cyanobacteria. I would manually vaccum out as much as you can then add some flow down there and see if it comes back.

Chemiclean does work if it is cyano(also kills some good bacteria), but it will come back if what caused it in the first place is not remedied. your nutrients dont seem too high though.

Reducing photoperiod and even a blackout for a few days can help as well (but again will come back if initial cause is not corrected).

OP
OP
Ry1

Ry1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may be wrong, but looks more like a green cyanobacteria. I would manually vaccum out as much as you can then add some flow down there and see if it comes back.

Chemiclean does work if it is cyano(also kills some good bacteria), but it will come back if what caused it in the first place is not remedied. your nutrients dont seem too high though.

Reducing photoperiod and even a blackout for a few days can help as well (but again will come back if initial cause is not corrected).
Thanks, i do appreciate the reply, as you said though i would prefer to try and find the route of the problem instead of adding chemicals and it keep coming back.

NJBillyV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i do appreciate the reply, as you said though i would prefer to try and find the route of the problem instead of adding chemicals and it keep coming back.
It could be a lot of things, who knows why these things happen, what you need to do is eradicate it as quickly as possible. Totally agree with Talon. Suck up as much as possible, add flow, go blackout, add some Chemiclean, throw in a bag of ChemiPure Blue.

Then add a UV unit, buy/build an algae scrubber, and start using Vibrant.

Don't just wait around until your tank is a complete mess and you just quit the hobby. Attack it aggressively and get rid of that shyt now.

Nhjmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a similar issue going on but mine is all over rock and choking out corals. Some sort of brown hair algae. I’ve lost hundredsssss in coral. Tried vibrant thing about vibrant it takes months to work I’ve tried Dino x tried 50% water changes. Nitrates won’t drop to zero or near yet phosphates very low. Took all the lr out scrubbed with soft toothbrush put back tried dosing phytoplankton nothing it just keeps getting worse. Only thing I haven’t tried is a blackout but I really don’t want to do that. Tank will be two years ok’d this October was doing amazing till wasn’t. Feeling like throwing in the towel.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 126 59.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 76 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.2%
Back