Algae issues

KyleC.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your best bet is to search around on the forum here. There are many reasons for excessive algae growth. You'll get varying opinions on causes, methods of removal, and cures. On that note, in my opinion, algae growth is normal in the ocean, its virtually impossible to keep a saltwater tank "algae free" as a hobbiest. At least, I, cannot spend the amount of time it would take to keep a tank picture perfect all day, as this is just ONE hobby of mine.

Side note, you'll also be better off answering a few questions about your set-up, and I'm sure someone with more experience will gladly try to help!
Tank age?
Current parameters? (DKH, PO4, CAL, MAG, Etc...)
Size of tank?
What kind of flow being provided?
Livestock and feeding regimen?
Current form of nutrient export?

Just a few of the top of my head, but again, someone else with more experience will eventually chime in, and BTW WELCOME to R2R!

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank is fairly new, a month - 3 months old the brown algae can be a normal progression and its just an ugly phase most tanks go through after they have cycled.

However if your tank has been up for some time 6+ months that is probably not the case. If its a reddish rust brown it may be cyano. If its a slimy, snotty consistancy it may be dinos. In both cases it helps to reduce the light cycle, and to get a good ratio of nitrates to phosphates, somewhere around 16:1. You do not want 0 nitrates or phosphates. Manual removal by syphoning it out is a good idea. Some folks syphon into a screen to catch the algae and return the water.

If you have a fuge concentrate on making the cheato or caulerpa healthy and flourishing and it will outcompete most nuisance algaes.
If you do not have a fuge consider adding ornamental macro algaes like red grape caulerpa to outcompete it.

Those are a few ideas I have.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 137 60.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 81 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.8%
Back