Algae? Nem?

mbmiche

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to get a positive ID on this dark green cluster (not the gsp). Any idea if this is a nem, filter worm, or some sort of algae? Thanks!

PXL_20220226_204354679.NIGHT.jpg PXL_20220226_204219120.NIGHT.jpg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost looks like some sort of paly cluster

OP
OP
mbmiche

mbmiche

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few people have suggested hydroids in other threads, but these are a dark green and the stem/tube is thicker than any pics of hydroids that I've seen. I think I've seen them eat some of the small eggs/polyps that I feed to my clowns and corals. One of my Nassarius got a little close with it's ?antenna/snout? and retracted it pretty quickly, so I'm pretty sure they sting. They are mostly contained on one small end of a rock that I have some GSP isolated on (rock sits in the substrate), so it'd probably be easy enough to pull the rock and chisel off that piece of it. Just trying to be more certain about what they are in case they start popping up elsewhere.

BigRick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few people have suggested hydroids in other threads, but these are a dark green and the stem/tube is thicker than any pics of hydroids that I've seen. I think I've seen them eat some of the small eggs/polyps that I feed to my clowns and corals. One of my Nassarius got a little close with it's ?antenna/snout? and retracted it pretty quickly, so I'm pretty sure they sting. They are mostly contained on one small end of a rock that I have some GSP isolated on (rock sits in the substrate), so it'd probably be easy enough to pull the rock and chisel off that piece of it. Just trying to be more certain about what they are in case they start popping up elsewhere.
They come in different colors. Brown and green are common.

OP
OP
mbmiche

mbmiche

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything I had seen about hydroids made them look almost like dandelion seeds. Did a bit more digging and I found a few better pics. Thanks all.

Hydroids it is... Darn.

Guess I'll be pulling the rock and lopping off the end

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything I had seen about hydroids made them look almost like dandelion seeds. Did a bit more digging and I found a few better pics. Thanks all.

Hydroids it is... Darn.

Guess I'll be pulling the rock and lopping off the end
Be careful if you're sensitive to nematocysts... I got a nice sting/rash handling a rock with these on it.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back