Algae on frag plugs in coral qt - should I remove / how to remove

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey all, started a coral qt and have been picking up some frags. I've noticed one of the plugs has turned brown and is starting to spread to the other plugs. Should I remove this algae? If so, what's the best way? I read something about scrubbing peroxide outside the tank, but wouldn't that bother the corals?

PXL_20201021_114018292.jpg

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just get new plugs and glue them onto the new ones.
Ok, thanks - I have a few new ones. Are you saying to do that to all of the plugs currently in there? Most are super glued to the plug, I think I can just put a razor to them to remove. The main brown one is epoxy'd - what's the best way to remove that without hurting the frag?

AcanthurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H2O2 will kill what is on the plugs. A hacksaw blade can cut through the epoxy if there is room.

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally all of that sounds horrible. You are probably just going to stress a coral. Why not either manually move a few snails in that direction or blow off the algae with a baster? If the algae will not come off with a baster then do it by hand while it is in the tank, maybe a foam brush?

ajjw0828

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally wouldn't worry too much about it. Like another said throw a couple snails or craps toward it. Or scrub the plug with a toothbrush. Good to see other Michigan reefers!

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Personally all of that sounds horrible. You are probably just going to stress a coral. Why not either manually move a few snails in that direction or blow off the algae with a baster? If the algae will not come off with a baster then do it by hand while it is in the tank, maybe a foam brush?
The algae won't come off w a blast of water, tried that. I also don't have any cuc in the QT, I'll add some tonight. Won't scraping it off by hand spread the spores, causing more?

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I personally wouldn't worry too much about it. Like another said throw a couple snails or craps toward it. Or scrub the plug with a toothbrush. Good to see other Michigan reefers!
Michigan representing! Hah. All of these frags were acquired locally :) yea I need to get some cuc in the tank asap. I was considering the toothbrush route - no chemicals and out of the tank, right?

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The algae won't come off w a blast of water, tried that. I also don't have any cuc in the QT, I'll add some tonight. Won't scraping it off by hand spread the spores, causing more?

Dude it is algae, algae just grows. I am not sure who spreads all this misinformation on algae and what causes it. There have been people saying that bubble algae spores spread when you pop them but most people do not buy that myth. What I see in that picture is garden variety green film algae. What is it actually hurting? You are going to have way more algae in that in the future. I would just get used to it because there will likely be plenty more to come. For the most part algae is very natural and part of a reef tank. It is only when algae gets out of control that it is a problem.

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dude it is algae, algae just grows. I am not sure who spreads all this misinformation on algae and what causes it. There have been people saying that bubble algae spores spread when you pop them but most people do not buy that myth. What I see in that picture is garden variety green film algae. What is it actually hurting? You are going to have way more algae in that in the future. I would just get used to it because there will likely be plenty more to come. For the most part algae is very natural and part of a reef tank. It is only when algae gets out of control that it is a problem.
Sorry, I am going off of old school mentality. I'm 10yrs out of the game and getting back into things w a new build. Back then those were very much the thoughts.

ajjw0828

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Michigan representing! Hah. All of these frags were acquired locally :) yea I need to get some cuc in the tank asap. I was considering the toothbrush route - no chemicals and out of the tank, right?
Good to hear! Who did you get them from? Not sure how long you've been in the hobby but I can recommend some people if you're new. You prolly already know to check out Michigan reefers on FB. But yup, I would pull the frag plug, and put a little water in a cup and kinda scrub the plug in that cup. Then once you get as much as you can off put back in the tank. I've had algea growing right next to sps and so far the SPS has won out. Looks like you're doing it up right tho, a I've only ever heard good things about great lakes tanks. Sucks they went out of business.

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good to hear! Who did you get them from? Not sure how long you've been in the hobby but I can recommend some people if you're new. You prolly already know to check out Michigan reefers on FB. But yup, I would pull the frag plug, and put a little water in a cup and kinda scrub the plug in that cup. Then once you get as much as you can off put back in the tank. I've had algea growing right next to sps and so far the SPS has won out. Looks like you're doing it up right tho, a I've only ever heard good things about great lakes tanks. Sucks they went out of business.
Cool, thanks, I'll do that today. I got most of them from posts on Michigan reefers.com. I was in the hobby for about 6yrs, 10yrs ago. Mostly a soft/LPS tank and it crashed, had little free money so I decided to get back in later. Now is later and I'm sort of going all out. Yea the gla tank is really awesome. Starphire on 3 panels and it's built really nice. I'd say the only down side is just a single overflow and herbie style, not bean animal. Then again I don't think that's a huge deal. I bought the tank from the same forum and someone local. As for the frags I think one of the members posts here (Stebbins?) and is in royal oak. The other two I don't think post here, but definitely looking for recommendations!

ajjw0828

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, thanks, I'll do that today. I got most of them from posts on Michigan reefers.com. I was in the hobby for about 6yrs, 10yrs ago. Mostly a soft/LPS tank and it crashed, had little free money so I decided to get back in later. Now is later and I'm sort of going all out. Yea the gla tank is really awesome. Starphire on 3 panels and it's built really nice. I'd say the only down side is just a single overflow and herbie style, not bean animal. Then again I don't think that's a huge deal. I bought the tank from the same forum and someone local. As for the frags I think one of the members posts here (Stebbins?) and is in royal oak. The other two I don't think post here, but definitely looking for recommendations!
Sweet! It's a hard hobby to stay away from. Sounds like your new setup is going to be killer. Can't wait to see your build thread! Yup, I've bought a couple corals from Stebbins, good guy and he has some really nice corals. My guess is if you're already on Michigan reefers you know a lot of the same people I do. I will PM you a few other peoples contacts tho just in case.

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That little bit of slime algae is nothing to worry about. Just leave it alone. You would only have to worry if you get hair algae growing to the point where it touches or smothers the coral.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back