Algae Problem In My 55 Gallon

Dhon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bad algae problem. I have been doing water changes and added a phosphate filter pad but I still can't get the algae under control. I just bought a phosphate reactor but I haven't set it up as yet. I also think my protein skimmer is not a very good one. Anyone have any other ideas? I would like to get a small Kole Tang but I think a 55 gallon will be too small when it reaches full size. My next tank is going to be a 95 gallon wide. I wish I started with that tank. A 55 is too small for a reef tank.

Attachments

• IMG_2014.jpg
    IMG_2014.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 147

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Do you use RO/DI water?

I would get the phosphate reactor going with some phosban in it ASAP and you should see a huge difference.

OP
OP
D

Dhon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I use both RO and DI water. I hope to have the reactor up and running this weekend.

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Do you use RO/DI water?

I would get the phosphate reactor going with some phosban in it ASAP and you should see a huge difference.

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gfo would also help with it.. i had a small 2" tang in my 55 for about a year and half. honestly if your planning on moving to a bigger tank and you only have the one tang, i dont see it as to big of a deal as long as you find the smallest one you can and not put a 4"+ one in there lol. but my 2 cents.

VegasRick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

+1
Depending on the amount of phosphates in your system this may take several weeks or even months to get under control. Weekly changing of the phosphate media until its under control is recommended.
Might also check your DI resin and see if its time to change it out. You water changes might be adding more fuel to the fire

OP
OP
D

Dhon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two types of algae. One is easy to suck up with a turkey baster. It is just a green blob out of water. The other is hard to remove. I have to physically grab and rip it off of surfaces.

is it the hair algae?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 35 85.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.3%
Back