Algae problem in my 90 gal

Keaton3100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,
I’ve been having some algae problems in my tank recently. I upgraded to this tank from a 45 gallon about a month ago, yet this tank was already fully established as I got it from someone else. Since the tanks been set back up I’ve been working on getting it back to a point of stability however I have a bunch of algae growing at the moment that I’m not sure how to get rid of. I was wondering if anyone could help me identify whether or not this is GHA or bryopsis, and the best method for treatment. If it is bryopsis I was thinking of going with a Fluconazole treatment.

40E24603-E5FA-4D22-AB39-6AE6280E307C.jpeg 8B311158-1319-47BA-9894-D658FB15E52C.jpeg C56DE3A3-1F2D-462D-8859-31B2AD0C0784.jpeg image.jpg

Ravsta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tested for nitrates and phosphates? Also might be worth reducing lighting for a short period? Usually high nitrates/phosphates/lighting will trigger GHA. Try siphoning as much out as possible during water changes.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you add new rock or anything? I know when I went from my Reefer 250 to my 525XL I had an algae explosion for a few months. Added new dry rock and a bigger system so the bacteria had to catch up.

OP
OP
Keaton3100

Keaton3100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you add new rock or anything? I know when I went from my Reefer 250 to my 525XL I had an algae explosion for a few months. Added new dry rock and a bigger system so the bacteria had to catch up.
No I haven’t added any new rocks, like I said however it was an established system that I purchased about a month ago so it shook up the snow globe a good bit.

OP
OP
Keaton3100

Keaton3100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like GHA from your pics. Before adding any chemicals, I would get a few turbo and trochus snails and watch them mow it down like I do some good ole’ TX BBQ.
I have one trochus snail at the moment, along with a few nassarius and a few other that I don’t know what specifically they are. But maybe I’ll have to try out a few more of the trochus.

OP
OP
Keaton3100

Keaton3100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tested for nitrates and phosphates? Also might be worth reducing lighting for a short period? Usually high nitrates/phosphates/lighting will trigger GHA. Try siphoning as much out as possible during water changes.
I have tested for nitrates and as of today the nitrates are at 0 or pretty darn close. And phosphates read at just above 0 however I don’t know how much I trust the phosphate test I have.

Daniel92481

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get some quality test kits. I use Hanna for phosphates and Alkalinity. Phosphates should be <0.25, but I would watch your coral vs. chasing specific numbers. Many reefers prefer a lower range of 0.01-0.1.

OP
OP
Keaton3100

Keaton3100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get some quality test kits. I use Hanna for phosphates and Alkalinity. Phosphates should be <0.25, but I would watch your coral vs. chasing specific numbers. Many reefers prefer a lower range of 0.01-0.1.
I use Hanna for alkalinity as well but have been told that their checkers for other parameters aren’t very reliable. I use api for nitrates and have a fluval test kit for phosphate. It tests at 0.25 every time I try it out. What do you use for calcium and magnesium? I have Red Sea kits for the both of them but I get some really wacky numbers from it. Still searching for that “stable” tank that everyone talks about lol.

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Hanna for Phosphate ULR and Salifert for Nitrates.

Your nutrients might test low because all of it is currently in the GHA. Personally here is what I would do:

- Try to remove as much by hand first
- Get more turbo and trochus snails to mow it down
- Look into setting up a refugium with chaeto to bring down your nitrates and phosphates
- If you want something faster, you could use GFO or other like products to bring down your nutrients. You'll want to lower them slowly

Good luck!

OP
OP
Keaton3100

Keaton3100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Hanna for Phosphate ULR and Salifert for Nitrates.

Your nutrients might test low because all of it is currently in the GHA. Personally here is what I would do:

- Try to remove as much by hand first
- Get more turbo and trochus snails to mow it down
- Look into setting up a refugium with chaeto to bring down your nitrates and phosphates
- If you want something faster, you could use GFO or other like products to bring down your nutrients. You'll want to lower them slowly

Good luck!
I will definitely pick up some of those snails. I do currently have a refugium set up in my sump that has a large ball of chaeto in it. And my nitrates were around 20 a couple weeks ago so I invested in some nopox and have been dosing it for a couple weeks. I believe that the nitrate levels have dropped because of the nopox because I saw a quick difference and it went down quickly. I’m now just doing a very minimal maintenance dose to try to allow a little nitrates to come back because my zoas have seemed very unhappy since they dropped.

Daniel92481

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Hanna for alkalinity as well but have been told that their checkers for other parameters aren’t very reliable. I use api for nitrates and have a fluval test kit for phosphate. It tests at 0.25 every time I try it out. What do you use for calcium and magnesium? I have Red Sea kits for the both of them but I get some really wacky numbers from it. Still searching for that “stable” tank that everyone talks about lol.
It’s really subjective when it comes to the brand you want to use imo. I prefer to use the Hanna ULR. For calcium I use Red Sea...magnesium I use Aquaforest.

codycolina707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brightwell razor and weekly water changes killed all my gha in about 3 weeks

OP
OP
Keaton3100

Keaton3100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s really subjective when it comes to the brand you want to use imo. I prefer to use the Hanna ULR. For calcium I use Red Sea...magnesium I use Aquaforest.
Makes sense, that’s what I’ve heard from everyone. Maybe my magnesium test kit is just expired or something but it’ll read 100ppm apart one day after testing previously. So are you leaning towards this just being GHA? If I don’t have bryopsis I don’t want to go with the Fluconazole because you have to turn off skimmer for a few days.

OP
OP
Keaton3100

Keaton3100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like GHA. Get some more CUC and watch your nutrients. You’re on the right path!
Ok awesome, I’ll try out some more cleanup crew and a water change before taking drastic measures. I might also add though and see what you think, why is it just one rock that is mainly taken over with algae? All other rocks have a small amount but nothing major.

Attachments

• 63157307826__D44D3794-F33C-4935-AE17-4AEFE20FC494.MOV
    2.5 MB
OP
OP
Keaton3100

Keaton3100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok awesome, I’ll try out some more cleanup crew and a water change before taking drastic measures. I might also add though and see what you think, why is it just one rock that is mainly taken over with algae? All other rocks have a small amount but nothing major.
I don’t think the video worked so here is a pic of each separate rock structure.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 18
Back