Algae release "useful proteins, carbohydrates and metabolites."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steve, Steve ... I was responding to the expression: "to make that interpretationit from Tritons claim will give the same result as we get when the devil reading the bible." (Lasse)

You understand?

Regards
Jose, I understand that I can reasonably assume that your "gullible angels" slight was directed at me ( & probably Lasse) going by your posts from #209, where you refered to me, rudely, as "dear", & created a strawman argument to boot.
Lasse' rebuke of your strawman statement in post #211 was spot on.
You can interpret the word "useful" however you like.
I interpret the word "useful" as its meant to be understood - able to be used for a practical purpose or in several ways

And I've made my opinions on the use of the word quite clear in post #121, 124, 129, 131 & 135

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put links, not "creative interpretations". Try to read more carefully you.

Regards
Unlike you Jose, I did read the link you posted. And my post refering to it was not a creative interpretation. In fact I quoted the paper word for word.
If you had taken the time to read the paper, & my post, you would have known that!

The paper just doesn't come to the conclusions that you thought it did!

Jose Mayo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jose, I understand that I can reasonably assume that your "gullible angels" slight was directed at me ( & probably Lasse) going by your posts from #209, where you refered to me, rudely, as "dear", & created a strawman argument to boot.
Lasse' rebuke of your strawman statement in post #211 was spot on.
You can interpret the word "useful" however you like.
I interpret the word "useful" as its meant to be understood - able to be used for a practical purpose or in several ways

And I've made my opinions on the use of the word quite clear in post #121, 124, 129, 131 & 135
We are having a "language barrier" problem here, and I will not let the conversation walk the personal terrain ... I just say that you, once again, imagine more than you read and assume more than you know, so put words that are not spoken in the mouth of those who do not say them.

I will not respond to you any more.

Go happy

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hypocrite.
V17; I haven't been rude to anyone in this thread thanks.
But you have been stalking me, unprovoked, first, post #107, where you incorrectly suggested I was rude, to another participant.
Paullawr, in post #109, correctly informed you that your interpretation was wrong, as did I in post #108.
I'm waiting for an apology from you for that, V17! :)

Then, in post #183, you were again rude to me, sarcastically, due to another mis-interpretation of a comment I posted to another participant.
That other participant 'Liked" my post, because it was just a little light hearted fun.

Now, again, you are being rude, a third time.

V17; cease stalking me, and if you feel it necessary to post in this thread, make it non - personal & on topic ;)

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are having a "language barrier" problem here, and I will not let the conversation walk the personal terrain ... I just say that you, once again, imagine more than you read and assume more than you know, so put words that are not spoken in the mouth of those who do not say them.

I will not respond to you any more.

Go happy
Cheers dear
beerchug.gif

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I started the method I often wondered the same thing. I also felt macro released toxins at some level that some corals were more sensitive to. (triton recommends multiple kinds. Humm) I felt that before I ever read anything related to toxins or triton. My first triton test ever confirmed this theory in my head. I had a large amount of 4 different macros in a small system. There were some corals that just would not survive long term. Not just sps or lps either. My first test confirmed there was absolutely nothing wrong with my water. But it did get me hooked on digging deeper and utilizing the method 100%. Then integrating the method into a second system, both of which are running great. Since then I have removed much of the macro except for chaeto. Test coral subjects since proved my theory to be correct as far as I can see. Another thought is that although macro may release toxins it may release beneficial carbohydrates at the same time that outweighs the negatives. Only a controlled experiment would answer this as well as Randy's question I suppose.
This is good information. Yes, multiple algaes could be a problem, depending on the species. I mentioned this in my first post.
They could release toxins to compete against other algaes in the fuge. This is a well known function of some algaes.
Of course, it depends on the algaes grouped together, what toxins, if any, they exude, and which, if any, particular corals might be negatively affected.
This might be why Triton recommend using skimmers & activated carbon?

What happened in your aquarium, in regard to some corals not surviving, may or may not have been due to toxin released from the multiple algaes. It's impossible to know,
and there could have been other reasons for the corals decline. But I agree; I would not use multiple algaes in a fuge & let them fight it out.
That's not the way I use algae filtration.

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are certainly some species of algae that are filtration safe, and others that should not be used for filtration in a coral reef aquarium.
For example

Dana Riddle -
"I ran a commercial coral farm back in the '90's using ATS technology. They were capable of maintain low nutrients and the corals fared well for the most part. That's the up side. The down side: The scrubbers needed cleaning once a week and the scraped algae leaked a lot of, for want of a better term, organics into the systems. The protein skimmers would overflow for hours after these cleanings. I think I have some tests on this stuff (biochemical oxygen demand and water color to indicate the degree of yellowness imparted to the water.) The worst part was some of the algae growing on the scrubber pads (looked like the red alga Hypnea.
"The algae we grew were true turf algae and the pads were covered with various red, green, and brown types.) This red alga would attack some of the corals (Acropora mostly) and bore into the skeletons. It made some sort of toxin that dissolved coral tissues. I published this almost 20 years ago in FAMA and still have a copy.

" I'm a proponent of algae scrubbers if they use the right algae and are maintained correctly."
end
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/o...er-on-your-system.285119/page-19#post-3839761

Last edited:

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not run a complete Triton system, but I see my fuge as an integrated part of my system – responsible for many different tasks – there the release of carbohydrates and protein/amino acids is one important thing for at least the microbial life in my aquarium. My prove for this is that we know what macro algae release these compounds and we know how organic carbon and proteins/amino acid works in an aquarium.

Sincerely Lasse

This is my perspective on the matter. Well put my friend.

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bottom line is: had triton added the phrase "In our opinion," to their statement, this thread would not exist.
Unfortunately I don't think any company in our industry (or any really) sells a product that says in our opinion lol.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jose Mayo @Scrubber_steve Sorry guys - it was a bad Swedish way of saying that a person maybe not understand what was written in the right way - my fault. I did not take Jose´s answer as an insult - I took it like a rather funny answer in the same region as my statement. Should any have the blame its me.

And Steve - should an older Swedish guy use words like "dear" and so on to me in a discussion - I would probably (in my younger days) knocked him/her down. But I have been working with guys from Brazil and they have other ways of express them self and I did not take Jose word as an insult of you (or me).

Back to my roots of 69. Love, Peace and Missunderstanding to you both :) and its a joke too:)

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

Jose Mayo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jose Mayo @Scrubber_steve Sorry guys - it was a bad Swedish way of saying that a person maybe not understand what was written in the right way - my fault. I did not take Jose´s answer as an insult - I took it like a rather funny answer in the same region as my statement. Should any have the blame its me.

And Steve - should an older Swedish guy use words like "dear" and so on to me in a discussion - I would probably (in my younger days) knocked him/her down. But I have been working with guys from Brazil and they have other ways of express them self and I did not take Jose word as an insult of you (or me).

Back to my roots of 69. Love, Peace and Missunderstanding to you both :) and its a joke too:)

Sincerely Lasse
I understood as you say, Lasse, and "I entered the game," as they say here to say that we accept the joke ... written words have no face or expression and are sometimes interpreted in another way.

I also apologize to everyone for any misunderstanding.

Best regards

mazoli

(re)Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more thing, nitrates 5-10ppm, phosphates 0 to .03. How's this possible. No water changes, 3 sulfur denitrators, each for 100-150 gallon tank.

Hi there, what you are doing sounds very interesting, and out of the box thinking. Would you share details about your method? Do you use skimmer? How much flow fő you have, etc.. thx

Want2BS8ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who? I didn't read every post, but I didn't see a post from triton or an answer to the original question.

The conversation has been interesting for sure, however the truths Scott.h speaks of are indisputable:

1) Triton has not responded and
2) The question has still not been answered

@Tim@Triton, @Eshan@Triton this has gone on long enough... it is time you publicly defend your statement.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 28 82.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.9%
Back