Algae release "useful proteins, carbohydrates and metabolites."

Discussion in 'Triton Applied Reef Bioscience' started by Randy Holmes-Farley, Feb 13, 2018.

1. mazoli

mazoli (re)Member R2R Supporter Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

Triton's approach is holistic, aka. it just works. But if you measure and dose 20-30 trace elements (not just the 3-5 basic ones), in my opinion it works even without the algae. But this is just my simplistic view regarding this.

rockskimmerflow and Lasse like this.

2. BigJohnny

BigJohnny Valuable Member

I don't do triton but I use a fuge/skimmer, no water changes, and correct major/trace elements based on hobbyist grade and periodic triton tests. So far (8 months) I've only had to adjust calcium, alkalinity, magnesium, potassium, strontium, and iodine. So only 3 extra vs when I did water changes. Well see if that holds true long term. I just use kalk and brs 2 part + potassium chloride/strontium chloride/triton iodine. Thankfully I don't use the triton core7 since the bottles (cartons) leak and it's impossible to get it anywhere. Works for me and much cheaper.

This is completely anecdotal but I swear I see a slight uptick in growth right before I trim my chaeto as the algae starts fading/dying at the top of the refugium. I let it go a lot longer than I have in the past running a fuge and that was based on tritons claims. I even compact it and flip it a few times when otherwise I would have considered it full. When I trim it I do remove all faded or dying areas though.

Having said that I would never let it "self regulate" like they have suggested without trimming. What's weird is they have also said to trim it sometimes too though.........it's contradictions like that which bother me. Same thing with the 8 dKH one place, 7 dKH the other instructions.

CNDReef and Lasse like this.
  3. bubblemytip

bubblemytip Active Member Build Thread Contributor

I'm not sure if the papers in this thread have been mentioned yet, but the thread poses some interesting theories/ideas: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/my-triton-experiences-so-far.261180/

The papers:
    1. http://www.int-res.com/articles/ab_oa/b010p131.pdf - author of thread uses this as evidence that "Algae seem to release carbohydrates, especially glucose (a form of sugar)"
    2. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1218179/pdf/9078264.pdf - author of thread uses this as evidence that "Corals, including SPS corals seem to be able to use glucose to synthesize at least 14 out of the 17 studied amino acids including all the 8 essential amino acids."

4. Tmmste

Tmmste Active Member

in my search for information on chelated iron and manganese to DIY.. i noticed this by Dana Riddle, "natural chelator" would that be something?[​IMG]

5. Scrubber_steve

Scrubber_steve Valuable Member

gpwdr, who has posted in this thread, has been running a Triton method aquarium since 2014.

He's done a very good job of documenting its progress from its inception.

The thread is well worth a look.

6. Scrubber_steve

Scrubber_steve Valuable Member

OK then; apology accepted

Lasse and acesq like this.
  7. 4FordFamily

4FordFamily Tang, Angel, & Wrasse Addict Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor

OK again, back on topic. Keep it there.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    Want2BS8ed and Lasse like this.
  8. NOBSAC

NOBSAC Active Member

@Tim@Triton

images.jpeg

tenor.gif

Thales likes this.
  9. Mandelstam

Mandelstam Well-Known Member

Somehow I get the feeling that whatever answer Triton provides it's not going to put an end to this debate... I mean people are still debating if evolution is a thing. And no, I'm not taking sides here, just saying that people have a tendency to hold on to their beliefs even when presented with evidence against them. And it doesn't make it easier when there are possible evidence on both sides lol.

It's been an information heavy thread, spiced with some drama, thanks for the good read! :)

MJC likes this.
  10. shred5

shred5 Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Well I think that is true especially in politics but the hobby is constantly changing and most people seem to change with it including fads, I am sure some people are though. There are those who never give up period on anything, always have to be right. There are those who think the person who argues the loudest is right. I have people at work like that.

The real answer is probably somewhere in the middle just like politics. Both side probably have a point here. Probably good and bad and depending on the algae plus some are better or worse than others. Plus science tends to only look at one thing vs the whole picture and their literally are 100 of process going on in the tank. Same with sand-bed debates, I mean who do some have no issues for 10 plus years and others have issues in a few.

Sallstrom, Want2BS8ed and Mandelstam like this.
  11. Mortie31

Mortie31 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter UK Reef Club Member Build Thread Contributor

Is triton a new religion lol

Mandelstam likes this.
  12. Want2BS8ed

Want2BS8ed Active Member R2R Supporter

Again the discussion has been informative, but it would still be nice to have a definitive statement from Triton.

13. Mandelstam

Sometimes it seems that a lot of tech or methods in the hobby is lol

NY_Caveman likes this.
  14. Mandelstam

I agree. And if the answer is dependent of the choice of algae, a clarification and recommendation on what mix of species to use to get those results.

Want2BS8ed likes this.
  15. shred5

More like a cult as a few other methods. ;Woot

Mandelstam and Mortie31 like this.
  16. Tmmste

Tmmste Active Member

If we would know the content of the bottles.. then all method would look-a-like and we wouldn't have "loyal followers". We would distillate from any method what we need and make it ourselves as we realize it is very cheap to diy...

17. shred5

It was a joke...

18. tastyfish

tastyfish Active Member UK Reef Club Member

Admin team, would it be possible to clean up the thread please? It's a shame there's suddenly a lot of bickering on what could be an informative thread and diminishes what we've all come to expect from Reef2Reef thread.

Cheers!

19. ksed

ksed Well-Known Member

Link does not work for me ?

20. Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley Reef Chemist Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Expert Contributor

Draft saved Draft deleted