Algae release "useful proteins, carbohydrates and metabolites."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

mazoli

(re)Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) Triton has not responded and
2) The question has still not been answered

@Tim@Triton, @Eshan@Triton this has gone on long enough... it is time you publicly defend your statement.

Triton's approach is holistic, aka. it just works. But if you measure and dose 20-30 trace elements (not just the 3-5 basic ones), in my opinion it works even without the algae. But this is just my simplistic view regarding this.

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Triton's approach is holistic, aka. it just works. But if you measure and dose 20-30 trace elements (not just the 3-5 basic ones), in my opinion it works even without the algae. But this is just my simplistic view regarding this.

I don't do triton but I use a fuge/skimmer, no water changes, and correct major/trace elements based on hobbyist grade and periodic triton tests. So far (8 months) I've only had to adjust calcium, alkalinity, magnesium, potassium, strontium, and iodine. So only 3 extra vs when I did water changes. Well see if that holds true long term. I just use kalk and brs 2 part + potassium chloride/strontium chloride/triton iodine. Thankfully I don't use the triton core7 since the bottles (cartons) leak and it's impossible to get it anywhere. Works for me and much cheaper.

This is completely anecdotal but I swear I see a slight uptick in growth right before I trim my chaeto as the algae starts fading/dying at the top of the refugium. I let it go a lot longer than I have in the past running a fuge and that was based on tritons claims. I even compact it and flip it a few times when otherwise I would have considered it full. When I trim it I do remove all faded or dying areas though.

Having said that I would never let it "self regulate" like they have suggested without trimming. What's weird is they have also said to trim it sometimes too though.........it's contradictions like that which bother me. Same thing with the 8 dKH one place, 7 dKH the other instructions.

bubblemytip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if the papers in this thread have been mentioned yet, but the thread poses some interesting theories/ideas: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/my-triton-experiences-so-far.261180/

The papers:
1. http://www.int-res.com/articles/ab_oa/b010p131.pdf - author of thread uses this as evidence that "Algae seem to release carbohydrates, especially glucose (a form of sugar)"
2. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1218179/pdf/9078264.pdf - author of thread uses this as evidence that "Corals, including SPS corals seem to be able to use glucose to synthesize at least 14 out of the 17 studied amino acids including all the 8 essential amino acids."

Tmmste

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in my search for information on chelated iron and manganese to DIY.. i noticed this by Dana Riddle, "natural chelator" would that be something?
486a5e7b29b74bb3123753015a0f27e9.jpg

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gpwdr, who has posted in this thread, has been running a Triton method aquarium since 2014.

He's done a very good job of documenting its progress from its inception.

The thread is well worth a look.

NOBSAC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mandelstam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somehow I get the feeling that whatever answer Triton provides it's not going to put an end to this debate... I mean people are still debating if evolution is a thing. And no, I'm not taking sides here, just saying that people have a tendency to hold on to their beliefs even when presented with evidence against them. And it doesn't make it easier when there are possible evidence on both sides lol.

It's been an information heavy thread, spiced with some drama, thanks for the good read! :)

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Somehow I get the feeling that whatever answer Triton provides it's not going to put an end to this debate... I mean people are still debating if evolution is a thing. And no, I'm not taking sides here, just saying that people have a tendency to hold on to their beliefs even when presented with evidence against them. And it doesn't make it easier when there are possible evidence on both sides lol.

It's been an information heavy thread, spiced with some drama, thanks for the good read! :)

Well I think that is true especially in politics but the hobby is constantly changing and most people seem to change with it including fads, I am sure some people are though. There are those who never give up period on anything, always have to be right. There are those who think the person who argues the loudest is right. I have people at work like that.

The real answer is probably somewhere in the middle just like politics. Both side probably have a point here. Probably good and bad and depending on the algae plus some are better or worse than others. Plus science tends to only look at one thing vs the whole picture and their literally are 100 of process going on in the tank. Same with sand-bed debates, I mean who do some have no issues for 10 plus years and others have issues in a few.

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Is triton a new religion lol

Tmmste

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More like a cult as a few other methods. ;Woot
If we would know the content of the bottles.. then all method would look-a-like and we wouldn't have "loyal followers". We would distillate from any method what we need and make it ourselves as we realize it is very cheap to diy...

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If we would know the content of the bottles.. then all method would look-a-like and we wouldn't have "loyal followers". We would distillate from any method what we need and make it ourselves as we realize it is very cheap to diy...

It was a joke...

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Link does not work for me ?

Also, related to allelochemicals of algae, if these are lipophilic (fat soluble) have little chance of acting at a distance, their effects being more evident when there is direct contact of algae with corals, as widely observed. But algae also produce hydrophilic allelochemicals, which are easily transported in the water column and can act at a distance, among other ways, by negative changes in coral holobiont, by severely affecting the bacterial variety that inhabits it, as described in the paper below:

Allelochemicals produced by Caribbean macroalgae and cyanobacteria have species-specific effects on reef coral microorganisms

*As seen, not everything that comes out of the algae is useful and ... Perhaps all this should serve to strongly recommend that, for those who use macroalgae in refuge, but mainly that use an ATS (in which the algae that grow there are not even chosen), the use of activated carbon or Purigen is necessary in the line of water, to avoid unforeseen situations.

Best regards

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back