Algae Scrubbers/Refugium's too efficient for my own good, is it right for me, and do I need one?

Aeb1419

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont use either and my tank has been up for about 3 years now. 2 week water changes and a media bag. Just recently I added a skimmer and im questioning if it is even doing anything for me.
I agree that industry pushes the fuge agenda/scrubbers, but I cant deny that it works. At the same time I see how a newb can benefit from this. I look back at my newb days, and if I had a more reliable nurtrient export/control of sorts (with no Real knowledge of how it worked) I 100% believe i would have been more succesful. fYI i crashed my tank within 5 months. I think everyones reef chemistry within their tank is different and you should stick with what works for you

OP
OP
tippin.turtle

tippin.turtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would appear I chewed off more than I had bargained for when posting my feelings and thoughts about this subject. I did not prepare myself with empirical data to support my point of view. Poor foresight on my part for not anticipating the need for arguments sake. I'm posting my observations of what I am achieving with my own reef tank and with the practices I'm currently implementing.
You are free to disagree or agree with the benefits of carbon dosing or dismiss it outright as an effective means of nutrient reduction and being beneficial to coral health.
I am simply sharing my thoughts, experiences, and views on the subject; having utilized macro algae and bio pellets
for nutrient control.
After all, this is a forum for discussion and sharing.

A special shout out to our fellow R2R member: DAN_P

I'll be more prepared to spoon feed you and your kind
at my next posting and will provide the data you solely
desire. I only ask that you put some skin in the game by
showing the rest of the R2R community what you yourself
have been able to accomplish with your reef tank and
husbandry in return.

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great discussion.
Still not decided on whether I’m going with alga in the sump.

Really fascinated by a cryptic sump. sponges are just way cooler than a mass of alga!!

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I'm just so checked out of the trends all of this talk of "industry pushing refugiums" is new to me. If you choose to spend $400 on a sump good for you I guess but petco dollar per gallon and either $20 worth of acrylic or a $100 diy kit accomplishes the same thing.

Many stunning zeovit tanks out there, all of which run macro in the sump.

OP
OP
tippin.turtle

tippin.turtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I'm not going to debate you endlessly on the topic or give you a break down of every comment with scientific empirical data to persuade you. Do research yourself and formulate your own opinion.
That's it. If you don't like this thread than simply go away.
Also note worthy, where is your tank on this forum? Do you have a reef tank to speak of and why can't anyone see it?
I believe I know the answer;)
So unless you have anything constructive or anything meaningful to share than please go away.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I'm not going to debate you endlessly on the topic or give you a break down of every comment with scientific empirical data to persuade you. Do research yourself and formulate your own opinion.
Also note worthy, where is your tank on this forum? Do you have a reef tank to speak of and why can't anyone see it?
So unless you have anything constructive or anything meaningful to share than please go away.
Just looked at your build and it’s fabulous. Appears you set up a refugium at the beginning, so did you just change your mind? What sort of water change schedule have you got, just out of curiosity? Cheers

OP
OP
tippin.turtle

tippin.turtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just looked at your build and it’s fabulous. Appears you set up a refugium at the beginning, so did you just change your mind? What sort of water change schedule have you got, just out of curiosity? Cheers
Thanks Garf!
I did setup a refugium and briefly tried to use it when starting my tank. However, being a new tank started with uncycled "new" dry rock and also pursuing the "exciting" challenges that one finds with the bare bottom approach to reefing :) my macro algae died very quickly. Not enough nutrients to sustain life and I'm certain exposing it to extreme high intensity lighting did it no favors.
Being that my aim was to grow and propagate corals I wanted the "through everything but the kitchen sink at it" approach should a situation arise where it was required. With the exception of UV as I'm pretty "dug in" on my beliefs concerning the benefits of bacteria.:p
I do 20% water changes every two weeks since the tank was started a year ago.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Goodbye!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back