Algae Turf Scrubber replacement time

Discussion in 'Boom Corals' started by BoomCorals, Dec 12, 2017.

1. BoomCorals

BoomCorals www.boomcorals.com R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor Toys For Kids Sponsor

So I have long been using a large bulky DIY algae turf scrubber on my system. For those like @crabs_mcjones who have seen it in person, it's a large eye sore and often in the way as the DIY pvc contraption takes up over half of my 125G sump. It used huge chinese mars aqua grow lights (one on each side) etc and so on. After a lot of research, I decided what I wanted to replace my DIY job in order to have something that was easier to maintain and also a much smaller footprint. Back in September I placed an order for this brand new ATS, and got myself on a wait list for one of those units.

Fast forward to last week and my ATS pump died. And, in my efforts to remove it in order to clean it to see if that's all that was needed to resolve, I managed to knock the entire contraption into the water. So, byebye ATS lights too. As it turned out, the pump had simply given up the ghost and needed to replace it. Faced with the prospect of having to buy both a new pump and new ATS lights, I reached out to the company about my ATS I had ordered in september. Unfortunately I am not coming up any time soon so I had to make other arrangements. I came back to my original list, and after much more research contacted Clear Water Scrubbers. These scrubbers are carried by Bulk Reef Supply (and are the only scrubbers carried by BRS) so that at least means something. I received a reply almost immediately and called the owner of Clear Water to discuss sizing. This helped a lot and I decided on the CW-300, their largest unit, based on my current and future needs.

It arrived today, and so far I am pleasantly pleased. The build quality looks very nice, and it comes fully assembled. The mesh screen is already "roughened" so I will just take some algae from my old screen and wipe it around on the new one to help seed. I watched the youtube video and install is quite simple. Aside from flipping the gaskets for the drains around (shipped in reverse to prevent shipping damage) you really wouldn't need the video. Maintenance looks super easy, which was key for me. Unscrew the union and remove the screen/tube. Scrape off, etc, and you're done. Here's a few pics, but for now it's off to the hardware store for some supplies. I'll be connecting this to a Jebao DCT4000 and should have it up and running today.

IMG_3128.jpg IMG_3129.jpg IMG_3130.jpg IMG_3131.jpg

Tags:

2. Crabs Mcjones

Crabs Mcjones Millepora Maniac Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Partner Member 2019 Partner Member 2018 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

That's exciting! And I do agree. The old one, while it worked, it took up quite a bit of room. Even on such a large tank. Need any help setting that bad boy up give me a shout! :)

3. BoomCorals

All set up. Going to get some pvc 2x2 to set it up in a permanent spot. But so far so good. It’s functional so we will see how the algae grows.

39B8B744-9B89-46AD-842C-85D9228A861E.jpeg

NY_Caveman and Crabs Mcjones like this.
  4. dragon99

dragon99 Valuable Member Reef Tank 365 Partner Member 2019 Partner Member 2018 Build Thread Contributor

Curious about your thoughts on why turf scrubber instead of fuge?

Crabs Mcjones likes this.
  5. BoomCorals

In my experience turf scrubbers are much more aggressive and effective at nutrient control.

6. carlson

carlson Active Member

This looks nice! How much did it cost?

7. BoomCorals

Around $450 for this model which is for pretty large systems.

8. Dirtrider225

Dirtrider225 Valuable Member Partner Member 2018 Build Thread Contributor

Following along. I may do something like this in my new build.

BoomCorals and Crabs Mcjones like this.
  9. Water Dog

Water Dog Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

Curious to see how well this ATS performs for you. I was fortunate enough to score a killer deal on a used Turbo’s L2 Rev 4 ATS and will be setting it up on my tank. I had a Rain2 ATS prior to that but wasn’t thrilled about the non dimmable LED lighting it used and the bald patch on the growth screen it caused.

10. BoomCorals

So far so good, the screen is already showing little bits of algae hairs growing!

11. siggy

siggy Which way do I go R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Partner Member 2018 Build Thread Contributor

Curios on how many gallons are you scrubbing and wattage of the light needed to do that. This may solve the lack of space for the chaeto Farm...... are you seeing any algae in the displays with this?

12. BoomCorals

Yea there is still some algae here or there, but that's mostly because I am constantly putting in new frag plugs every time I frag, and new anything into the tank = algae.

13. djwasimani

djwasimani Member

looks nice

14. Kallor

Kallor Member

How much trickle noise do you get from an algae scrubber like this? I'm in the early stages of planning a new tank - my old one broke after a move :-(

I'd rather avoid GFO this time around, and an algae scrubber might be nice for that. But noise is enemy #1 ....

15. BoomCorals

There is a little bit but not too bad.

16. Water Dog

Bud Carlson of Turbo’s Aquatics designed this cool flap valve for his scrubbers to tune the outflow volume to eliminate noise coming out of the scrubber’s discharge. I suppose you can accomplish the same thing using a gate valve to tune the outflow and have it empty into a filter sock to reduce the noise coming out of the ATS.

1E0FB198-7ECD-4ED2-B55C-6C63E680EF55.jpeg

727B70D2-F2AE-481B-8A69-1738669C4A39.jpeg

17. BoomCorals

With the CW the noise is from inside the scrubber, from the waterfall. The drain output comes out under water so it doesn’t make much noise.

Kallor likes this.
  18. Water Dog

Oh... gotcha.

19. Salty1962

Salty1962 Wrasse and SPS Lover R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2018 Build Thread Contributor

Should've gone with a L4, problem solved!:)

20. BoomCorals

I wanted one but needed one faster than I could get it. But the CW is working very well.

Draft saved Draft deleted