Algae Turf Scrubber VS Chaeto Reactor: Which would you prefer and why?

Algae Turf Scrubber or Chaeto Reactor? Which one gets your vote?

• Algae Turf Scrubber

Votes: 54 62.8%
  • Chaeto Reactor

Votes: 32 37.2%

• Total voters

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When it comes to nutrient export, use of algae is one of the most effective and natural ways of going about it. While many of us would love to have a large refugium, sometimes space can make that impossible, so let's look at a couple of other options.

1) Is the Algae Turf Scrubber (ATS) which uses light and oxygenation of some kind to grow GHA on a surface in an enclosed reactor. There are multiple designs from waterfall scrubbers to upflow scrubbers and all kinds of variations. These have been a tried and true method for nutrient export for a while.

2) Is the Chaeto Reactor. These are newer to the industry than ATS, but the principle is (if I am not oversimplifying) a contained refugium inside a reactor. The design is created to grow chaeto efficiently for nutrient export.

Let's have a poll and talk about these.

Which do you prefer? Chaeto Reactor or Algae Turf Scrubber? Why?

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't answer that as I was unable to grow chaeto, and I am about to install a Algae reactor. Curious what others say.

Conrad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turf scrubber. Cheato can export nutrients to a point where Algae scrubbers is like turning on your aquarium lights. You get more results the longer the hours are on. It is extremely effective as hair algae can grow rapidly and fast, it also gives it a place to grow instead of in your aquarium. I can feed as heavy or as light as I want depending on how I run the scrubber. Cheato has never grown that fast or taken care of nutrients as well as a scrubber for me or anyone in general.

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't currently have either, but would use a Chaeto reactor over the scrubber (at least for my current system). The scrubbers are generally placed above the sump and therefore require more space. The reactor can be anywhere I want and run by a submersible pump. I BARELY have room to remove my skimmer cup let alone have equipment on top of the sump.

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gosh . Cheato Reactor has more options with regard to location (can be in or outside sump).

ATS grows like crazy and is easier to clean.

I pass, I have a mandarin so I grow cheato in a fuge for the pods, although I did have a DIY ATS for a while.

Maxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both have their place.

Both operate differently.

I feel the ATS is easier to maintain because you just scrape and go. With a Chaeto reactor, you cant take out too much algae so there is a learning curve to using them, but it's not too difficult to dial in.

Chaeto can be sold after harvesting, and must be purchased or obtained from somewhere. So there is a potential to actually make your reactor pay for itself. Turf algae can be grown without doing anything deliberate, but nobody wants to buy any.

There are others pro's/con's for both, but this is a decent start.

Ultimately, do your research, and choose what works best for you.

mrlavalamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gosh . Cheato Reactor has more options with regard to location (can be in or outside sump).

ATS grows like crazy and is easier to clean.

I pass, I have a mandarin so I grow cheato in a fuge for the pods, although I did have a DIY ATS for a while.

Wouldn't the Chaeto reactor still grow pods just the same as a fuge?

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
team scrubber. I'm using an upflow type. it floats in my sump.
sump.jpg
ALGAE011119.jpg

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I have tried an algae reactor, algae waterfall and and up flow algae scrubber. My favorite and easiest to make and use and clean and everything has been an UAS. I have made these for small tanks and my 210g. Work great.

I tried the algae rx for months and months and never got any growth. Maybe just wrong lights of something. I also tried the waterfall (DIY) and it failed twice. Could not get a good flow continuously over the sheet. Very frustrating.

So, after trying those three, I went back to the UAS and am happy as a clam. Well, mine are in QT, but they will be in big tank in 6 months. :)

Maxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've run a chaeto fuge before and I ran a Pax Bellum Chaeto reactor for about a year (before I took a hiatus from the hobby). I had more success with the Pax Bellum than the Fuge, but I suspect my failure's with the fuge were a result of poor lighting and not paying attention to the nutrients the chaeto needs to maintain growth. Once I got the Pax Bellum N24 and spent time talking with Tristan from Pax B and learned more about what I should do to optimize chaeto growth, I had exponentially better results.

I'm in process of setting up a 40 breeder system and have one of the new Tunze MAR 3181. I'm looking forward to seeing how it does with my new system.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont use plant systems for control we prefer detritus management as the primary goal, pre rot export.

but for intended purposes of this compare thread I would choose ATS as it concentrates for repeated export organisms specifically selected for the home and tank and variables, vs relying on one species or two which might not adapt so well across homes.

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't the Chaeto reactor still grow pods just the same as a fuge?

bad karma. pods deserve a place that is synonymous with safe haven before the mandarin with the hippy psychedelic coat devours their tiny souls.

Reeffraff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having tried both I prefer the waterfall type turf scrubber. IME the scrubber is far better at pulling out nutrients and actually takes up less space. This is a typical 4-5 days of growth (it's 2-sided) and I can dial it in very easily to export more or less nutrients by adjusting flow, light intensity and light duration.
20191129_231330.jpg

My corals seem to like it:
20200404_205155.jpg

Rich Klein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it comes to nutrient export, use of algae is one of the most effective and natural ways of going about it. While many of us would love to have a large refugium, sometimes space can make that impossible, so let's look at a couple of other options.

1) Is the Algae Turf Scrubber (ATS) which uses light and oxygenation of some kind to grow GHA on a surface in an enclosed reactor. There are multiple designs from waterfall scrubbers to upflow scrubbers and all kinds of variations. These have been a tried and true method for nutrient export for a while.

2) Is the Chaeto Reactor. These are newer to the industry than ATS, but the principle is (if I am not oversimplifying) a contained refugium inside a reactor. The design is created to grow chaeto efficiently for nutrient export.

Let's have a poll and talk about these.

Which do you prefer? Chaeto Reactor or Algae Turf Scrubber? Why?

Refugium

Back