Algae Turf Scrubbers (ATS) Along with Carbon Dosing

MichiganMarc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hi everyone,

Tank (165g) has been up and running since 2014. Initially maintenance just included water changes along with carbon (vinegar) dosing.
I dosed the vinegar to help control the nitrates and it did a pretty good job (kept them at 0). However the tanked developed a cyanobacteria issue along with some pesky hair algae issues. Following that, I started noticing more of a major bacteria build up (snot- like substance) mainly in my sump. So I decided to take another approach. I invested in a Santa Monica Rain2 Algae Turf Scrubber. It has been up and running for about 6 months now. I have cut back the vinegar dosing to a very, very small amount to allow the ATS to start doing its thing. Since I have reduced my carbon dosage, the bacteria build up (snot-like substance) has disappeared and quite a bit of the hair algae as well as a majority of the cyanobacteria. I have tested for nitrates and they have increased to about 20 (from 0) I believe from cutting back the vinegar dosage. However, I am still battling some cyanobacteria as well as some small patches of green hair algae.
My question: Should I stop all carbon dosing now that I am running an ATS?
I do have some GFO I can run through a reactor if need be, however I haven't been since I believe it would just compete with the ATS.
I know ChemiClean is an option. I just wanted to get some opinions before going that direction.

Current water stats:
Alk: 10.0
Mag: 1475
Cal: 400
Nitrate: 20

Cheers!
Marc

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening,

You have a few things going on with a few options. My personal opinion is to slowly finish stoping the carbon dosing. Vinegar/vodka have great benefits but also down sides. What you are running into now with cyano and algae is standard for when slowing or stopping carbon.

I alway look to natural controls first. How are you looking on CuC? There is nothing wrong with the ats as a nutrient export, do you have a skimmer also? You did not list your Po4, but you could look to some gfo if it is high. And some will disagree but I have used chemiclean over the years and it works well.

Just go slow making changes, especially stopping dosing.

OP
OP
MichiganMarc

MichiganMarc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hi Mastiffsrule!
Thank you for replying to my post. And I understand.
CuC was just replenished about a month ago. I placed an order with ReefCleaners. I am actually thinking about ordering some additions to that current CuC. I have no hermits but mostly a snail crew.
I do run a skimmer and that was also upgraded. I am now running the Reef Octopus Varios Regal 150 SSS and it's pulling lots of good gunk. I have also been keeping up with weekly screen cleaning with the ATS.
PO4 is at .082
I agree with taking it slow. I don't really want to "shock" the system.
I do have the ChemiClean on hand, just haven't pulled the trigger, so to speak, yet lol.

Thank you again for your feedback. I really appreciate it!!

Marc

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give it time now that you have nutrients in your tank it will take time for the good bacteria to out compete the bad.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 78 38.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 30 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back