Algae won't go away

Trew321

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, my tank completed its cycle two days ago and every since it's been green. It was worse than this before. But I've had the light off it for 2 days now and I've done a 25% water change. It just doesn't seem to be going clear at all all the research I find says to just do water changes. Any advice
IMG_20220807_171923.jpg

shakacuz

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
It's about 3-4 weeks now. 52L
get a bag of chemipure blue or elite appropriately sized for your tank and place it in the drain section of your fluval(should be the first chamber on the back). leave the light off for a week or so and you should be fine. bacterial b looms are normal, however, i believe your tank is not fully cycled as well.

OP
OP
T

Trew321

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
get a bag of chemipure blue or elite appropriately sized for your tank and place it in the drain section of your fluval(should be the first chamber on the back). leave the light off for a week or so and you should be fine. bacterial b looms are normal, however, i believe your tank is not fully cycled as well.
Sweet, my ammonia is at 0 and nitrite is at 20ppm. I came on here before and people were telling me it's cycled I always thought you had to wait for the nitrite to get to 0 for it to be cycled

Last edited:

Jubei2006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are cycled. If you have and peaceful hardy fish picked for the tank, they could go in. How did you cycle the tank?. Are you ghost feeding an empty tank? And yes water changes will help nitrate levels. Also if the water is murky, it's likely a bacterial bloom which will clear on its own with time. However UV and Carbon would greatly spped it up (if you are using it). Without corals, just leave the main lights off for the time being (upwards of 2 to 3 months). Sit back, relax, and watch 52 weeks of reefing on BRStv and the new biome series while you wait on the tank. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It won't go away by itself... Get your hands in and scrub, do a section at a time if need be. Control it before it controls you :)

OP
OP
T

Trew321

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are cycled. If you have and peaceful hardy fish picked for the tank, they could go in. How did you cycle the tank?. Are you ghost feeding an empty tank? And yes water changes will help nitrate levels. Also if the water is murky, it's likely a bacterial bloom which will clear on its own with time. However UV and Carbon would greatly spped it up (if you are using it). Without corals, just leave the main lights off for the time being (upwards of 2 to 3 months). Sit back, relax, and watch 52 weeks of reefing on BRStv and the new biome series while you wait on the tank. It's a marathon, not a sprint.
There is a clownfish in the tank I did the cycle with him in it.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought if you do too many big cleans it flushes out your good bacteria?
Yes I guess with water changes, but you can maintain an aquarium without... Like clearing algae? Like mowing your grass/ lawn, just general maintenance

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, loadsa information on reef2reef about all your issues, just use little search icon at top of page :) :)

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back