Algae

Jp21921

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 30 gallon tank. I have a favia and a mushroom coral. I have 2 clownfish and a cardinal fish. I just got a wave maker put in I also have 2 small snails. I had diatoms in my tank and now it’s turning to green algae. I am wanting to get more coral and a fish and a clean up crew. I know I’m going to get a cleaner shrimp, what else should I get and how many for a 30 gallon. Any info helps as I’m very new to this. Thank you in advance.

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go to reefcleaners.org and get a few different kinds of snail depending on what they have in stock. Trochus snails are my favorites, great algae eaters. Maybe a few dwarf ceriths too. And nassarius snails to scavenge for detritus and leftover fish food.

OP
OP
Jp21921

Jp21921

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go to reefcleaners.org and get a few different kinds of snail depending on what they have in stock. Trochus snails are my favorites, great algae eaters. Maybe a few dwarf ceriths too. And nassarius snails to scavenge for detritus and leftover fish food.

Thank you going to look now

Birddog61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snails are wonderful in new tanks when the algae stage arrives. 1 per pound of rock is a good starting point. If not a few more. In addition a few large hermits to eat any snails that die. And some will . NOTE thay are good at knocking frags over.
Urchants make quick work of rock cleaning however thay eat coraline algae also. So would nees to be rehomed as the tank matures if you desire coraline. Coraline algae compeats with micro algae for rock space thus limiting where micro algae can grow in addition to compeating for nutrients

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snails are wonderful in new tanks when the algae stage arrives. 1 per pound of rock is a good starting point. If not a few more. In addition a few large hermits to eat any snails that die. And some will . NOTE thay are good at knocking frags over.
Urchants make quick work of rock cleaning however thay eat coraline algae also. So would nees to be rehomed as the tank matures if you desire coraline. Coraline algae compeats with micro algae for rock space thus limiting where micro algae can grow in addition to compeating for nutrients
Ok my tank is finally exploding with coralline growth but also hair algae and Dino’s and red slime. Bought 3 urchins (125g) to combat nuisance algae, o one mentioned they eat the coralline too!

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Especially long spine urchants.
I have pincushion urchins, used to fight hair algae
B98CCD27-2089-43AC-8374-F366F61BA76E.jpeg

jpbeen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 30 gallon tank. I have a favia and a mushroom coral. I have 2 clownfish and a cardinal fish. I just got a wave maker put in I also have 2 small snails. I had diatoms in my tank and now it’s turning to green algae. I am wanting to get more coral and a fish and a clean up crew. I know I’m going to get a cleaner shrimp, what else should I get and how many for a 30 gallon. Any info helps as I’m very new to this. Thank you in advance.
I would get 2 Trochus snails for algae control and 2 nassarius snails to scavenge for detritus. Try to obtain from LFS as acclimation is very important. Too many snails will die off when food source is gone and cause major water quality issues.

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my pincushion urchin. He does a really good job of cleaning. My only issue with him is he constantly picks up any loose frags. That does come in handy sometimes. I lost something in tank and he found it.

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back