Algae

Kraig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been trying to identify this algae, but being new to this I'm not confident in my identification skills or what I should do with this.

This is in a 2 week old tank, no inhabitants yet except for some kind of pod running around on this rock. Is this green hair algae or possibly turf algae? It came in on some live rock I picked up and I believe it has grown/spread some over the past week or so.

Should I try to remove what I can from this rock or is there anything else I should do?

Thanks a bunch!
Algae.jpg

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manually remove what you can. Add some Turbo Snails. They'll clean it off for you. Make sure it's as short as possible, as they won't eat it if it's too long.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the full cleanup crew going. Also adding some herbivore fish would help in the longer run. Live rock is totally worth some ugly but temporary hitchhikers.

OP
OP
Kraig

Kraig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the full cleanup crew going. Also adding some herbivore fish would help in the longer run. Live rock is totally worth some ugly but temporary hitchhikers.
I wasn't sure if it was really a good time to add a cleanup crew or not. That rock is really the only thing in the tank that looks like it could provide something for the cleanup crew. I'm afraid they wouldn't have much else. Hoping to get some fish in a QT tank I have going soon but it will be a bit still before they go in the DT.

I'm not really worried about the algae, and I'll take it along with some live rock, but also don't want it to take over my tank before I have a chance to get anything else going!

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't sure if it was really a good time to add a cleanup crew or not. That rock is really the only thing in the tank that looks like it could provide something for the cleanup crew. I'm afraid they wouldn't have much else. Hoping to get some fish in a QT tank I have going soon but it will be a bit still before they go in the DT.

I'm not really worried about the algae, and I'll take it along with some live rock, but also don't want it to take over my tank before I have a chance to get anything else going!
It's not too early to get the CUC going. If you're seeing algae, it's time for them. They also eat the stuff that grows as a film on all the tank glass as well.

OP
OP
Kraig

Kraig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not too early to get the CUC going. If you're seeing algae, it's time for them. They also eat the stuff that grows as a film on all the tank glass as well.
Thanks for the input!

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a good start by manually removing what you can. Easy way to do this is take a bucket with tank water in it. Put one rock at a time in there and scrub it with a toothbrush. Swish it around and put it back in the tank.
then let the CUC do the rest.

corey

Back