AlgaeBarn...Is it all just hype?

scottedontknow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would toss out a guess at the technology used to count pods:
Coulter particle counter

I did get a free shipment and the visual count looked weak in my batch too. That said, counting really small pods isn't a visual activity but it can be done (estimated) using a good microscope and a thingamagig that indicates the area of water you are counting from. If the visual stuff is good (phyto) then I would suspect that the non-visul is good as well, but this isn't verified by me. I trust and if I suspect something was wrong I would find a scope and count a few cells.

I believe the culture is supposed to seed your system so that they might become self sustaining there. Hope it works out for you.
i
assume they just do it by weight or something along those lines.

OP
OP
TFD Live Reef Foods

TFD Live Reef Foods

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The name is trademarked, it is a brand name. Whether you can count or see over 5280 pods is probably beyond the ability of most consumers.

1581101958605.png

Regardless of if its a trademarked name they advertise 5280+ pods. We are both right.

I think that it could genuinely be at or around that number though. Ive been given bottles once or twice that look just like water but after a week or two i have thousands upon thousands. It just visually looks like less than what I normally see, but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt that most of them are juvenile and too small to see.

OP
OP
TFD Live Reef Foods

TFD Live Reef Foods

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People can justify it any way they want, but order Algae Barn Pods and then order pods from Reef Nutrition or Pod your Reef and compare them.

There is DRASTICALLY more life in the Reef Nutrition and Pod your Reef packages, it's not even remotely close.

I agree, the reef nutrition bottles are jumping with live. Im going to go buy 2 bottles just for the hell of it and throw them in.

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
BRS said something on a stream that hit home. NEVER EVER EVER get macroalgae from another reefer get it from a source where it is clean. So I might have to retract my statement and try them for macroalgae. +1 for the Macroalgae.
Algaebarn Your name has been restored. (somewhat) lol. Thanks for reminding me @311Reefer

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People can justify it any way they want, but order Algae Barn Pods and then order pods from Reef Nutrition or Pod your Reef and compare them.

There is DRASTICALLY more life in the Reef Nutrition and Pod your Reef packages, it's not even remotely close.
Was impressed with pod your reef the first time the two following purchases look like I paid 25 bucks for water

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Was impressed with pod your reef the first time the two following purchases look like I paid 25 bucks for water
Don't you just hate when you see what is supposed to be pods, and it looks like a bottle of water or a bag of water?
You feel like I have been swindled lol.

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Last shipment from pod your reef was also different the large bag is now a small bottle same price though

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve gotten pods from reef nutrition, algae barn, lfs and aquarium depot. I do feel like reef nutrition is superior. I didn’t see an explosion of pods After adding the 5280 like I do after adding RN pods. And those aquarium depot pods, I was tempted to break out the cocktail sauce and throw those monsters on the grill...

Pretty sure the lfs pods introduced a parasite into my tank. Though I can’t be certain.

amoore311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS said something on a stream that hit home. NEVER EVER EVER get macroalgae from another reefer get it from a source where it is clean. @311Reefer

If there is a company logo behind the advice. Take it with at least few grains of salt. Remember, they can't sell macro to reefers who are getting it for free from someone down the road.

Just make sure you know the tank you are getting your macro/coral/etc from.

I will say I do like Algae Barn Macro though. PomPom Gracillaria is great.

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience with AB has been very positive. The jars I have received are always full of visible pods. I used to order pods from them all the time. However, they are too expensive so then I decided to get the Poseidon reef system reactor and now I have thousands every 5 days. Has paid for itself already

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pods will come on any live rock, coral frags, or macro algae you purchase. What’s going to survive in your tank will survive. Purchasing “pods in a bottle” doesn’t make much sense to me unless you’re culturing a specific type for raising larvae.

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve gotten pods from reef nutrition, algae barn, lfs and aquarium depot. I do feel like reef nutrition is superior. I didn’t see an explosion of pods After adding the 5280 like I do after adding RN pods. And those aquarium depot pods, I was tempted to break out the cocktail sauce and throw those monsters on the grill...

Pretty sure the lfs pods introduced a parasite into my tank. Though I can’t be certain.
Lol how about a nother shrimp on the

E7FE3FDD-F9A5-4626-BFC5-BD7878AD543A.jpeg

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pods will come on any live rock, coral frags, or macro algae you purchase. What’s going to survive in your tank will survive. Purchasing “pods in a bottle” doesn’t make much sense to me unless you’re culturing a specific type for raising larvae.
No pods will ever make it into my tank from frags, they all get dipped. And any pods as well as pests dont make it. so I like to seed my system fairly regularly.. I use different types of pods just for diversity. I also have larger amphipods, I know they like to eat the copepods, so i try to add atleast every few months into my system. I used AB once and it was a good order no complaints, just kinda expensive. I've ordered from pod your reef, a couple times. The first time I felt eh about it but I had a coupon for a nice discount. I ordered 2 copepods and a bag of phyto. The phyto had a barely green tint.
I gave them another shot and was like night and day the pod bags were packed with life. And the phyto was deep green. I guess my first order was during a busy time and supplies ran thin... but both are good companies. One just costs more. :)

And I agree whole heartedly about buying as sterile as can be macro for a fuge. We dip our corals, bc were afraid of parasites and pests. But chaeto which is usually full of bad(and of course good) we take happily and dump in our tanks lol. I'm a big believer in a clean environment. If theres something in my tank, for the most part I put it there.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 52.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.1%
Back