AlgaeBarn...Is it all just hype?

DibsOnMcRibs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They aren’t the best source for pods. However, before I started culturing my own, I bought from them. My macro algae and several of my fish have come from them. I absolutely trust the health of their fish and algae. Pods were added out of convenience.

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So they are paid, just not via “cash”.

Check?
direct deposit?
Visa cards?

...kidding.

Probably...free merchandise for the shout-out.

Kinda fishy you specifically stated cash...

Ha, we are not paying them with any sort of money. We occasionally give products for use in the specified video review.

AlgaeBarn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ecopods? I've been eyeballing them over the last couple of weeks but they're pretty expensive compared to their other options.
They are pretty awesome :). If you don't feel like you got your moneys worth, let us know and we will get you taken care of.

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Now you understand why I won't order anything else from Algae Barn they sell water lol for 50+ bucks.
I have to quote my own quote because my faith was restored. I am going to be the first to admit that when I do not get the quality I paid for, I will scream yell, have a fit and cry foul. When I spoke on Algae Barn selling RODI water, I had placed an order 2 years ago. As I was leaving for class tonight, I found this on my doorstep. I checked my messages and AlgaeBarn apologized for the order that was hosed 2 years ago and wanted to mend the relationship that I have had since the 1 time I did order from them I got RODI water. Back in 2018 they did try to make up for the original order but it was still water. Somewhere on R2R there is a post and I am ranting about them. Well I gotta say, I can see pods in the 3 jars and they are active. They sent pods in a thermal wrapper because its cold in Chicago. To answer the original question in this post ” AlgaeBarn...Is it all just hype?” The answer is since they got not management, YES they are worth it. (No hype). You can look below. I got 3 jars of pods and a bottle of Phyto. I did not ask for this nor pay for it. I am happy because I now have pods for my new 210. I will be putting in another order this Friday. @AlgaeBarn Thanks you guys are worth the hype. I can also see customer service is still great too. :)

PODS001.jpg PODS002.jpg PODS003.jpg PODS004.jpg PODS005.jpg PODS006.jpg

Last edited:

Fish4udog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I no longer use them. To pricey.

I now use a local reefer who PACKS his bottles full. He sells on here. @hollback , he’s so good he usually has a waiting list!

I can verify @hollback bought 2 bottles well packed each 8oz bottle is full of pods actually getting 2 more bottles from him. Beats anywhere I have seen them

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can verify @hollback bought 2 bottles well packed each 8oz bottle is full of pods actually getting 2 more bottles from him. Beats anywhere I have seen them
I was going to order from him too but seeing what @AlgaeBarn did for me considering my complaint was 2 years old I am gonna go back to Algaebarn. Not to mention they sent a cherry on top

Fish.jpg

That's right Swedish fish inside my box. Who can resist the gooey taste of those Swedish fish?
I am on an AlgaeBarn track now they have made a believer out of me the biggest skeptic on the planet. I am so skeptic if you say "Good Morning" I gotta go outside to see if it's daylight :)

AlgaeBarn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Setting up my new reef tank i decided to go all out and give algae barn a try. I purchased their Nitrocycle kit that comes with a bottle of Turbostart900 and a bottle of Nitrocycle as well as a few varieties of macro algae and some pods
Let me know how it goes. If you have any questions, we are here to help!

Pau Hana Reefer

got reef?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lesson in how to win a thread and customers. Other vendors and sponsors should take notice.

Agreed! If you're willing to stand by your product and make things right in front of an large audience, it not only says a lot about their customer service, but how much they believe in and stand by their products.

I've only made one purchase from them so far (which was a positive experience), but now I have even more confidence about making the purchase that I've been contemplating for a couple weeks.

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to disagree. I've order probably 8-10 or more 5280 pods from algae barn over the last year and there is a huge disparity between batches. Some have very few, some have a noticeable amount, none have been "teaming" with pods. Some bottles arrive with a ton of dead in the bottom. Some bottles leak, due to poor packaging, and they do credit or replace those. For the price you are better off with reef nutrition, IMHO, if you can source them. I expect the bottles to contain at least what reef nutrition bottles contain but none of the ones I purchased have even come close, or at least what their brine shrimp bottles contain. The ecopod bottle I purchased had about the most pods I've ever picked up from algae barn, but still not a huge amount.

I may give @hollback a shout and see what he offers. I am growing my own now but it's a hassle.

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have to disagree. I've order probably 8-10 or more 5280 pods from algae barn over the last year and there is a huge disparity between batches. Some have very few, some have a noticeable amount, none have been "teaming" with pods. Some bottles arrive with a ton of dead in the bottom. Some bottles leak, due to poor packaging, and they do credit or replace those. For the price you are better off with reef nutrition, IMHO, if you can source them. I expect the bottles to contain at least what reef nutrition bottles contain but none of the ones I purchased have even come close, or at least what their brine shrimp bottles contain. The ecopod bottle I purchased had about the most pods I've ever picked up from algae barn, but still not a huge amount.

I may give @hollback a shout and see what he offers. I am growing my own now but it's a hassle.
sorry to hear that and we have all experienced disappointments here and there I know I have. I look at how those disappointments are dealt with. I also look at it after two years you try to mend what was broken like with my case then that says a lot. Please don't get me wrong and much credit to hollback, however without elaborating more I would like to stay on the track that I am on. But if it works for you roll with it. everyone has different feelings on the matter. :)

Last edited:

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you like the 5280 pods, try the ecopods. I think they are a better selection, and you may get more? They seem to stick around in my tank vs the 5280 that just disappear. Plus it seems their population is growing in my buckets, can't tell you which species is thriving but the 5280 pods never grew.

OP
OP
TFD Live Reef Foods

TFD Live Reef Foods

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up my new reef tank i decided to go all out and give algae barn a try. I purchased their Nitrocycle kit that comes with a bottle of Turbostart900 and a bottle of Nitrocycle as well as a few varieties of macro algae and some pods

Thats exactly what I did. From speaking with them it sounds like the best way to start out is to get your tank up to 2-3ppm ammonia and then get the nitrocycle kit in the tank and after youve verified that the ammonia has been converted into the nitrites/nitrates then add your macroalgae and then after that order the pods.

You may be able to add all together but i think the number one thing i learned is patience. I dont think any good thing will come from trying to rush it, so im just going to keep at it and hopefully it shows in the long run.

Still waiting on my new bottle of TurboStart to arrive, hopefully within the next few days.

Jorgehiram

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I placed an order with AB over a year back of the 5280 and did not look like too many pods in the bag, been a rookie I did not say anything just in case I was wrong. On one of the trade shows in FL someone explained to me how they count the pods and there is a scientific method to it, some are too small to see and look like floating dust. I decided to try again with the AB Tisbee and Apocalypse and on 2/5/2020 received my order, this time came in bottles, 2 bottles I added to my tank and the other 2 bottles I placed on a hatchery I builded from different ideas. Today 8 days latter totally forgot about them and when I check the culture it was packed so dense they must be millions. I had to split the culture in three one gallon hatcheries plus feeded 64 Oz to the tank. My trust is 100 % renewed. The only thing that came damaged was the swedish fish :)

Will try to add a short clip or pic.

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like I'm the only one that's not happy with what comes in a bottle from algae barn and I've bought maybe a dozen 5280 pods, some definitely have more pods, some there's almost nothing to see, even with a 40x loupe. I've pretty much given up on a decent bottle of pods from them and buy mine from reef nutrition, when I can find them. If they would package them like their brine shrimp, I would be happy, but they don't.

OP
OP
TFD Live Reef Foods

TFD Live Reef Foods

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like I'm the only one that's not happy with what comes in a bottle from algae barn and I've bought maybe a dozen 5280 pods, some definitely have more pods, some there's almost nothing to see, even with a 40x loupe. I've pretty much given up on a decent bottle of pods from them and buy mine from reef nutrition, when I can find them. If they would package them like their brine shrimp, I would be happy, but they don't.

I can't really agree or disagree with you. Obviously at first glance to me it seemed pretty far fetched that there was 5280 pods in the jar as well but a lot of the breeds of pods they have are apparently pretty small compared to other brands like reef nutrition.

Ive noticed them getting bigger and bigger so i think mine are atleast going good and may be able to repopulate and yield me a lot more than 5280 pods in the long run.

Nep2nRevision3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So glad you guys @AlgaeBarn jumped in the conversation. As stated by someone earlier, this shows you have faith in and stand behind your product. In a world where good customer service has all but disappeared, that makes a world of difference to me as to whom I spend my money with. This and contacts I've made prior to purchases are proof of good customer service!

I've made numerous Algae Barn purchases from the mandarin feeding kits to phyto and pods to a really nice ORA large derasa clam that has and is still doing great. Only disappointment was a peppermint shrimp that may have been the smallest I've ever seen. It was placed in a 45 cube never to be seen again. Who knows?

Addressing the issue with trying to count pods in a jar, that's a tough call. Knowing that there are pods in the jar that are too minute for the average hobbyist to observe, it really puts me in a position of having to trust in the fact that you are supplying what has been advertised. That can be a real challenge when I'm forking out my $$$(these types of products aren't cheap), not seeing much movement in the jar gets me wondering.

I'm definitely an Algae Barn fan but I also use AlgaGen and Reef Nutrition pods. The latter two are available at some of my LFS so they're convenient to grab if I'm there anyway. There's also something to be said about holding a product in your hand and being able to make the decision as to whether or not it's worth the money before you pay.

AlgaeBarn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can you DM me a recent order number? The thing with the brine shrimp is they are much larger than most copepods (hence easier to see).

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back