Algal Filtration In Reef Aquariums

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

sil40sx

View Badges
Reaction score
This is about two weeks worth. It gets thicker every week, but tnever get the fuzzy looking alage. I recently cleaned it off though.

I am using kessil H80 on the lowest setting, if I turn it up, the brown part (hotspot) in the middle gets bigger.

IMG_6252.jpg

The hotspot is caused by 1 of 2 things or both. 1) the light is too close to the screen. 2) you are not putting enough flow over the screen.

Try increasing the flow and backing the light up about an inch or two and it should get better growth on the screen then. Flow should be just high enough not to shoot of the side of the screen.

So after moving my light about 4 inches away from the screen, and added more flow, this is what I got. What else am I doing wrong. :( LOL

IMG_6488.jpg

SantaMonica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
First, you need light on both sides. That will probably do it.

But the dark slime is from weak light, compared to nutrients. So you need to clean more often to get the slime off and let the light get in.

Move the light to 3". Clean when you can't see the screen. Add a second light. And when nutrients in the water come down, lighter colored GHA will start showing up.

sil40sx

View Badges
Reaction score
I have my light on the lowest setting, I’ll increase it 25%. Thanks!

MissyTwitch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
445FCC80-0364-40D7-98DF-10FD8D9C4B09.jpeg
New Algae Scrubber with extended bottom acting as refugium for vulva/Cheato; use to grow sea lettuce but it strips too much if you don’t keep it under control. It will replace old scrubber. I run two, one in morning and one in evening to stabilize pH swings.

Old Algae Scrubbers =>
19C43B28-88DB-4CE4-A707-A2092CA6FCED.jpeg

ED260808-3F6A-4DE2-9C80-0E2D37812F53.jpeg

We don’t run Protein Skimmer, no point. Keeps zooplankton population more prevalent. Corals happy.

Resultant tank =>
EC35AC70-F2AA-45EF-A9B7-AA1B43D81929.jpeg

Side Note: acrylic and acrylic glue bought on amazon, grow light panels bought amazon ~cost for DIY extra large scrubber ~$200, on the low 200 side from what I remember. Last true water change was greater than a year ago. It was due to an overdose of kalk, otherwise wouldn’t have needed to. Just change out carbon every 4-6 weeks now.

Last edited:

MissyTwitch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
When doing research about ATS/Turf Scrubbers, I was never able to find an amazing SPS dominated aquarium that was supported by this filtration method. I certainly believe they are out there, but it just doesn't seem to be the preferred method for SPS.

Does anyone have a setup to prove me wrong?
See my post towards the last page of this thread

MissyTwitch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I don’t know what people’s budgets are but these are relatively cheap compared to kessil. We actually have two h380 halo II Kessils and these panels place on either side of an acrylic/glass tank do just as good or better for scrubbers/cheato refugium. Thicker greener cheato ball. We moved the two kessil to other purposes [bonsai/herbal garden]

6B202310-47FB-49C8-B971-ABABA741B24D.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Lighting and water flow are Key

MissyTwitch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Lighting and water flow are Key
Agreed. One of the things one gots to watch out for is the water flow can get slowed down at top. Using a wire brush every few days across the top helps keep flow consistent till it’s time to clean it.

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Agreed. One of the things one gots to watch out for is the water flow can get slowed down at top. Using a wire brush every few days across the top helps keep flow consistent till it’s time to clean it.
you need a light shade missy, to block light shining on the screen along the slot area so algae doesn't grow there & block it

MissyTwitch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
you need a light shade missy, to block light shining on the screen along the slot area so algae doesn't grow there & block it
That’s actually actually a good idea, had thought of that after the fact, figured it be to much trouble in changing the initial simplistic design. Haven’t put online the new scrubber. I’ll see what I can come up with. Problem is the light is diffuse [due to paneling/wide angle lenses] it would still come up through the bottom. Not as bad though.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score

SantaMonica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
But which one; looks like the screen is hanging down, which would probably not be a slot. If it's holes, and the screen is on one side of the bar, it becomes a 1-sided screen when the holes fill with growth because the water sprays down from one side and can't get to the other side. For this reason a slot is preferred.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Mine has slot and gets full coverage. I have seen the ones with the holes held by 4-5 nylon tie straps and it also got good coverage

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 147 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back