Alge disintegration or spawning?

EricHL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reefers.

Can you please have a look to the video linked below? I do not have any idea what caused this (green?) cloud.
Additional Informations: The temperature in the tank increased from 26°C to (78°F) 28.5°C (82.2°F) over the last days. I have reduced feeding in the last weeks to reduce nutrients (in order to reduce alge).

This event recorded below took some more than 1 minute. There are bubble alge in the tank as well. Coud this may be a bursting bubble alge?
I did not see any animal in this area. But all the alge sit on life-rock which is populated by fetherduster worm and bristle worms.

Thank you for your support.
Best Regards
Eric

OP
OP
E

EricHL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reefers.

Can you please have a look to the video linked below? I do not have any idea what caused this (green?) cloud.
Additional Informations: The temperature in the tank increased from 26°C to (78°F) 28.5°C (82.2°F) over the last days. I have reduced feeding in the last weeks to reduce nutrients (in order to reduce alge).

This event recorded below took some more than 1 minute. There are bubble alge in the tank as well. Coud this may be a bursting bubble alge?
I did not see any animal in this area. But all the alge sit on life-rock which is populated by fetherduster worm and bristle worms.

Thank you for your support.
Best Regards
Eric
I got a better look at it.
It seems to be the disintegration process of the C. peltata.
Some of it is already bleached as you can see in the video.

Beste Regards
Eric

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what people refer to as caulerpa "going sexual". It's spore release by the macroalgae, and the white leftover will melt away (I'd remove).
I'd never seen it while it was happening, thanks for the video - it's fast!

One might guess that either or both temperature increase or squeezing nutrients down was a stress that triggered the caulerpa to give up and just launch spores everywhere.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 43.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%

Back