Alk and Calc testing kits

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive heard they are difficult to read
I guess I've never had that problem for Calcium and Alkalinity but you should be consistent with the color you're using at the end of the titration. I will say they are very precise for hobby grade IMO. If color is a problem maybe the Hanna Checker?

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Hanna for both. The calcium test kit has a few steps to it that people dislike, but once in the routine, it's pretty simple. The Alk test kit is a breeze.

zuri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
used red sea for years was always a pain tedious even with the color changes, recently picked up salifert fast accurate easy to read cheap I use Hanna for phosphorus an nyos for nitrate

zuri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you look at the complaints for Hanna Cal/Alk it has alot to do with consistency not from just the users end but the reagents are loudly complained about

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correction: I was thinking of the Hanna NO3 test when I was talking about supposed difficulty of use. Hanna Ca test is very straightforward. I've never had an issue with accuracy with any Hanna meter and I've checked them vs either another test and/or I've made my own standard solutions to test. (I'm a chemist, so that's obviously easier for me to do than for most.)

Iggy305

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using Salifert & Red Sea, I find Salifert easier to read so it’s my go-to. I also use Hanna Checkers but generally to confirm what I’m reading on one of those 2 kits.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Hanna, Red Sea Pro and the Salifert daily. Salifert is .3 DKH per .1 ml, Red Sea Pro is .2 DKH per .1 ml and Hanna reads to the .1 DKH. Also there is the interpretation of just exactly WHEN do you reach the end of the titration process. I expected Hanna clearly outperform Red Sea and Salifert. I was surprised by the results. In practice, they all seem to be pretty much the same in performance. Salifert is the least expensive option.

Alkalinity is the most important parameter. Just about anybody who raises acropora coral for sale measures alkalinity daily. It is the single most critical parameter to hold as constant as possible. I measure ALK daily. I dose automatically and after measuring I add a bit to fine tune my dosage. My daily automatic dosage is just a bit under what the tank consumes so after testing I top it off.

Calcium is far different. As far as I have read, corals are happy as long as it is above 380 or so. I keep mine at 450. It can go down to about 420. I only measure it weekly and then adjust.

I have only used Red Sea Pro and it is good enough for my purposes. I would think that Salifert is just as good and less expensive.

Some people have problems with distinguishing color changes. So it is always a good idea to go to youtube and find videos on test you are interested in to see the process (some are fussy enough that you might not want to deal with them). Also, watching a video will give you and idea if you can actually detect a titration end point.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back