alk is perfect but calcium is low

gonzo64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my alk always around 8.5 ..but it seems my calcium is kinda low...380....but,....i only have a softy tank..with shrooms ..zoas..leathers..ect...and couple of nps gorgs...question is.....do i need to worry about the calcium since i dont really have anything that consumes it???

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't sweat it. With the corals you have in there now, their needs will likely be met with regular water changes and I wouldn't worry too much about the exact calcium figure as you are in the ballpark for both.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium is fine. A lot of us will get pretty crabby if our calcium gets below 400 because we like our SPS spoiled as possible. For softies and most LPS >350 is more than fine. If you do monthly water changes I wouldn't bother testing it because any salt mix will replenish.

Alk though is a different story.

OP
OP
G

gonzo64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well i thought id check my mag...that is low as well....if i raise my calcium with it also raise the mag ??? i use oceananic salt ..it has the higher mag and calcium..that i always use...and just did a water change like 2 weeks ago.....so it the calcium and mag should be right there....and it has for ever....so im stumped on why this would be all low....

U

User1

View Badges
It is easy to raise it and I would. Use a calcium only supplement.

I'm sure it is for you :D Reminds me when I was changing out my Mustangs steering wheel from stock to the GT350's. In the process you have to de-arm the air bag. I swear I was a nervous wreck the whole time sweating bullets and double checking I had the battery disconnected several times only to check one more. Silly I know and this is coming from a guy who has been around small arms to nukes in my previous life (weapons loader and later explosive safety).

Anyway I had a issue where my Alk was where i wanted it at 8.5 but my Calcium was dropping and not sure why. It was around 430 - 450 but over the course of two weeks it dropped as low as 366. I was going to dose my ESV 2 part (part b) but the calculator said 892.50 ml's and that seemed like a lot :) That was based on my 170 gallons total system (estimate based on rock, sand, sump, etc).

Anyway I'm sure it is a no brainer but for whatever reason I balked :D

OP
OP
G

gonzo64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but the question is....do i raise mag first or calcium ??? does mag control calcuim or other way around

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the Mg value? If it's below 1200 or so, I would raise that first.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it about 900
That's surprisingly low. I would fix that first. It will take a LOT of mag sulfate.

It's probably worth double checking that Mg value with your LFS. I would also check your salinity.

OP
OP
G

gonzo64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's surprisingly low. I would fix that first. It will take a LOT of mag sulfate.

It's probably worth double checking that Mg value with your LFS. I would also check your salinity.

salinity as at 1.0255..check with two separate kit and basically same results..

OP
OP
G

gonzo64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also use oceanic salt mix cause it has higher mag and calcium and keeps my alk at 7-8...that why im confused at my numbers...

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but the question is....do i raise mag first or calcium ??? does mag control calcuim or other way around

Doesn't matter much, but there's no reason to not pick magnesium first if it is accurate.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Double check your salt mix first by testing the mag on freshly mixed salt. If it comes back below 1000 then either your test kit is off or the salt mix is off. Has to be one or the other and you need to resolve that first.

Even the most conservative salt mixes come in no lower than 1200 mag or so. Big GSP colonies are the only thing I know of that consume magnesium at an odd ratio.

OP
OP
G

gonzo64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Double check your salt mix first by testing the mag on freshly mixed salt. If it comes back below 1000 then either your test kit is off or the salt mix is off. Has to be one or the other and you need to resolve that first.

Even the most conservative salt mixes come in no lower than 1200 mag or so. Big GSP colonies are the only thing I know of that consume magnesium at an odd ratio.

just did a check on new saltwater and i got 480 for calcium and 1380 for mag...so i know the new saltwater is measuring good...maybe i just gotta more water changes

Back