OP
G

gonzo64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok whats the best way to raise the mag...i do have a big bag of epson salt can i use that or do i need to mix with.....mag chloride too is that rock salt ??

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok whats the best way to raise the mag...i do have a big bag of epson salt can i use that or do i need to mix with.....mag chloride too is that rock salt ??

For a one time correction that is not too large, Epsom salt is fine. For regular use or big corrections, I'd prefer to see mostly the chloride salt as Epsom salt boosts sulfate a lot more than magnesium.

OP
OP
G

gonzo64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you for the reply.. looks like brs has a two part starter package that would help with calcium and mag and alk...so i might try this..

For a one time correction that is not too large, Epsom salt is fine. For regular use or big corrections, I'd prefer to see mostly the chloride salt as Epsom salt boosts sulfate a lot more than magnesium.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
G

gonzo64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one more stupid question if i could...i have to wait for the supplies to arrive...there a lfs near me that has liquid mag and calcium i believe its aquavitro brand ..could i use this for now.....it would be easier to then mixing ..any thoughts....thanks

Yes.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how long does one wait to test the magnesium after dosing it ??

As soon is it mixes in, which might be 5 minutes in a sumpless system to an hour or more in an extended system.

Think of it like food coloring. As soon as the whole tank would be the same color, it is ready.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

gonzo64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well finally got my mag up ..i did buy a different test kit to check this to see if i get same results with two different kits ..i got like a 200 difference salifert said 1140 af said 1440...i think im going to trust the newer kit cause the salifert kit is like two years old...is 1440 a little high???

OP
OP
G

gonzo64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also i used the brs magnesium mix i have like a premixed gallon of this mag...will this keep for awhile..or do i have to worry about getting bacteria in this waster if this sits....how can i keep this from going bad.???

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 27 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.1%
Back