Alk monitors - What are you hoping to see?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For the longest time, alk monitors have seemed like the unicorn of the hobby and that those who talked about it might as well have been talking about chasing rainbows. However, with several viable possibilities being talked about and prototyped at this point, it seems like this will be the next major leap in aquarium tech (at least that's my speculation).

What would you be most interested in seeing? Which are your current favorite options? What are some of the things that make you cringe? What do you think ought to be the price point of what you propose?

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am hoping that a alk monitor can be setup to incorporate a doser to regulate my alk and I would also like it to be able to dose calcium as well for 2 part. The one I am most interested in now is the one designed by Jim Welsh because Neptune has their hands on it now and i believe they will do a great job with it. The thing I am worried about most is the fact that it's new technology, I hope all the bugs get worked out before any are released.

Price point, under $500.

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's going to be expensive regardless, thats how it goes. If it worked in such a fashion like: automatic dosing to keep the ALK at a designated measure, I would like to keep track of how much is being dosed daily. One of the ways I understand whats going on in my tank now is how much ALK, CA, MG is being used.

So, if i dose 50ml of CA daily and suddenly my CA tests way high, I know that the 50 ml is not being used, so i ask why. Versus, if this new tech would adjust accordingly and drop the dose to by 15ml to keep my predetermined ALK measure on point, I would still want to know that the new dosing amount has dropped to 35ml.

Chris155hp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Above all accuracy(+-.05dkh) and controller integration. Love Jims idea that it just uses a standard BNC probe connection and that is super accurate. Also relatively cheap reagent refills say on par or close to Hanna reagent refills. Also a price point around $500. Some of the prices being thrown around are way way to high

Last edited:

Willz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Low price point and cheap reagents. Ability to control both alkalinity and calcium. E.g. add alkalinity as needed, but also add calcium to maintain balance.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's going to be expensive regardless, thats how it goes. If it worked in such a fashion like: automatic dosing to keep the ALK at a designated measure, I would like to keep track of how much is being dosed daily. One of the ways I understand whats going on in my tank now is how much ALK, CA, MG is being used.

So, if i dose 50ml of CA daily and suddenly my CA tests way high, I know that the 50 ml is not being used, so i ask why. Versus, if this new tech would adjust accordingly and drop the dose to by 15ml to keep my predetermined ALK measure on point, I would still want to know that the new dosing amount has dropped to 35ml.
I really like this point. I think it's very important to know how much dosing my tank is requiring. Imagine if the unit went down and you had no clue how much had been being dosed. So the monitor should also monitor how much is being added.

Chris155hp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea that's why I believe a simple monitor rather then something that doses is more important than an all in one unit. Let the device test and report to the controller. Let the user/controller decide what to do with the info. This makes making sure alk and ca are dosed in balance much easier

sinekal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One feature I really like about the KH guardian is the ability to set it to retest X number of times if your current reading X amount from your last prior to the unit dosing again. Seems like a strong control for the risk associated with flawed readings.

A high accuracy rate, in the test equipment/results, in the stepper motors, etc.

a regent with a long life span that doesn't degrade partially over time. I would really love if it told you the regent is low too.

Web access, or the ability to interface with my Neptune apex, including both the ability to see results and make adjustments to settings. Along those same lines, email/text alerts.

I'm sure there's a lot more.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking forward to what GHL has in store for the Profilux since everything they design always seems to be top notch.
I want accuracy, low maintenance and affordable in order of priority.

Waterjockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obviously Jim's unit is going to be able to interface with Apex.
Accuracy is of course at the top of the list.
I would love to be able to read the dkH on fusion, and be able to graph the readings. I would like to be able to set the interval of how often it does the test, with a "test now' feature.
I would like to be able to set high and low alarm points and add them to the email alerts. If they wish to incorporate dosing as well, I would like that to be an optional expansion.
Reagent fluid level would be nice too, but not high on my list.
To me, the alk tester being separate from the doser would catch a much larger consumer base. I believe there is a high percentage of users who either like how they are dosing now, or would initially not so "trusting" in it automatically changing dosing. As they see the reliability, they can add the expansion doser if they want :)
I won't comment on price point, but lower than the number being thrown around in another thread for a different auto alk monitor/doser :)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would rather see it incorporated into a controller but even stand alone would be fine with me. I want it to be able to track the parameters, dose to keep those parameters in the preferred range, and alert me if an issue arises!

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is my order of preference:
1. Accurate and precise within a margin of error equal to or greater than the Hanna Checker/Salifert kit;
2. Reliable;
3. Controller integration and/or web accessible;
4. User serviceable with readily available replacement parts such as pumps/probes.
5. Price in the sub-$750 range.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

sinekal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would rather see a co2 probe with alk being calculated from co2 and ph instead of an acid titration

What's the difference between the two, or advantage of one over the other. This is something I've been curious about when looking at the different options coming.

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would rather see a co2 probe with alk being calculated from co2 and ph instead of an acid titration

You may be in luck, this is the method the Mindstream product uses. The KH Guardian and the Jim Welsh/Neptune products use acid titration. GHL has not disclosed their method, but if its a probe, it stands to reason it would be the co2/ph method.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the difference between the two, or advantage of one over the other. This is something I've been curious about when looking at the different options coming.

Assuming perfect accuracy of each (which won't be the case), one user difference is that the CO2 measurement one can be almost continuous reading and creates no liquid waste. It also obviously can tell you pH and CO2 in addition to alk, for folks who might care.

hawkinsrgk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No dosing pumps to measure acid
No acid to deal with
No waste to deal with

Just two probes in a tank doing a calculation based on two variables ph and co2

I have looked into trying a diy on this, but every co2 probe is industrial and super crazy expensive. Well if there is a cheaper one I haven't found it. I think this a much better way to go if it could be done at a lower cost. I read a post where somebody made one from a ph probe, but it didn't seem reliable

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back