Alk monitors - What are you hoping to see?

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you calculate Alk from a disolved CO2 reading and a pH reading?
I don't know the math, but this article explains it pretty well:
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/5/chemistry
"there is an exact mathematical relationship between pH and carbonate alkalinity for any aqueous system"
You have to know the CO2 level though which alters the pH of the system.
image_preview

Flatlandreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Standalone accurate probe that would record readings in an app format to graph stability.

I would like to continue using my current dosing system and I don't want to rely on something that would dose based on the probes readings, probe failure could lead to disastrous results. Also something simple could mean affordability for all systems.

MockandRoll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Standalone accurate probe that would record readings in an app format to graph stability.

I would like to continue using my current dosing system and I don't want to rely on something that would dose based on the probes readings, probe failure could lead to disastrous results. Also something simple could mean affordability for all systems.

That is easily fixable. All you add is a maximum daily dose.

recess62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw Neptune is working on an alk module. I was talking to the rep at the CTARS FFM He said they hoped to have it out this year

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id like to see a very cheap monitor, even if its accuracy is only +\- 1 dkh

If it was 100$-200$ id buy it knowing i could walk by the tank and see alk is 9dkh (or 8-10dkh).

Chris155hp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also wall mounted would be nice! not everyone has the space to sump mount or floor stand in their stand. It has become somewhat of an issue with the Kh guardian
Also May I suggest that if possible stick with the standard RO 1/4 tubing with quick connect fittings as that is standard in this hobby and easily accessible. Also the quick disconnects of John guest type fittings work best for preventing the device from loosing prime. I have on my dos and other equipment that use compression fittings lost prime due to the tubing cracking. Also as far as astetics go, RO tubing comes in a variety of colors which allows users to match their equipment colors. Many users I know have converted their apex DOS and other Dosers to such fittings bc of the above reasons.

K100286

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For myself I don't need all the tech. hook up's. I would like to see a bare bones version that I can check a couple times a day. The monitor(s) on the market today are too expensive for what is required.

MockandRoll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For myself I don't need all the tech. hook up's. I would like to see a bare bones version that I can check a couple times a day. The monitor(s) on the market today are too expensive for what is required.

With 4 companies trying to get a product to market, someone should make such a product. For Neptune, I wonder if they could store the last 20+ tests and not have to change any software or components. Since Neptune made the ATK standalone, if possible they should do the same for this.

This is gonna be a good year for Kh

I concur. Hopefully this lives up to the possibilities.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back