Alk

Alchameth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what's in the tank, corals? How's your Mag, Cal, PH? Kalk is usually the easiest, but it raises Calcium and PH, so if those are normal that wouldn't be the best. What salt do you use, and how often do you do water changes and how much?

OP
OP
Scoobydoo

Scoobydoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what's in the tank, corals? How's your Mag, Cal, PH? Kalk is usually the easiest, but it raises Calcium and PH, so if those are normal that wouldn't be the best. What salt do you use, and how often do you do water changes and how much?
I have nothing in my tank but peppermint shrimp and 2 turbo snails my alk is at 7.1 and my cal is at350 and ph is 8.2 and mag is at
I have nothing in my tank 1 peppermint shrimp and 2 turbo snails and 6 blue legged hermie's. My cal is at 350 mag is at 1200 alk at 7.1 0 phos ph 8.2 salinity at 1.025

OP
OP
Scoobydoo

Scoobydoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will this work

Attachments

• IMG_20210120_144541.jpg
    IMG_20210120_144541.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 8

Alchameth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't speak for the Fritz, my PH is low so I use Kalk to keep my Alk and Cal sorted. Those seem really low (Alk and Cal), what salt you using?

Krissreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look into two part, you dont want to raise only alk but no cal. And your cal is also low. It might be ur salt that has low levels or it might need to be mixed(yes the salt needs to be mixed before adding it in rodi water). If u decide to go with two part I would suggest the esv bionic.

namfuak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a big piece of information missing here. What is your daily Alk consumption?

*EDIT*
Other useful bits of info-
  • tank size
  • tank age
  • frequency and amount of water changes
  • brand of salt used
  • What does your new salt mix Alk test at?
  • How often do you test?
  • noticeable precipitation?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Scoobydoo

Scoobydoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a big piece of information missing here. What is your daily Alk consumption?

*EDIT*
Other useful bits of info-
  • tank size
  • tank age
  • frequency and amount of water changes
  • brand of salt used
  • What does your new salt mix Alk test at?
  • How often do you test?
  • noticeable precipitation?
20g breeder about 9 weeks old I change 10% water change every week op marine salt I test every other day and what you mean precipitation

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk is consumed by all kinds of tank biology so even if you don't have corals it can still dive rapidly. It's especially unstable in tanks less than 6 months old.

The only thing in that tank consuming calcium is the snail. If somebody tells you to test and dose calcium laugh and move on.

You can bring up alk with generic baking soda. Quite honestly a tank with no corals should be fine doing maintenance water changes. Alk at 7 dKH is no big deal for a non coral tank anyways.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back