Alkalinity Daily Swings. How to dose best?

AaronFReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had been dosing soda ash at night from 8 PM (around lights out) to 11 AM when lights began ramping up, with calcium on the opposite schedule. I stopped doing this because I noticed my alk during the end of my photoperiod was swinging quite a bit lower than during morning when I always made a point to test it. I use a hanna checker to test and get pretty consistent results, usually within one decimal point of each other when I have my dosing tuned "right". I adjusted dosing often to try and maintain very stable alk. I have a 25g lagoon with a 10g volume of water in the sump (25g sump) and many acros, some of which are beginning to be mini colonies.

One example of a test would be 8.3 at 730 AM and 7.8 at night around 8 PM. So in order to try and counter this, I set my Neptune DOS to dose Ca and Alk throughout the day, with a minute offset so they wouldn't dose at the same time and precipitate. They drip into a raceway in my sump with a COR-20 at full flow so no issues of low flow on that.

Last night I did a test and freaked out when I saw my alk at 7.6. I had missed two mornings of Alk testing and i was at 8.5 last I tested. So i upped the dosing from 23.5->25 mL (which is the reverse of the change I had made before my last test since 8.5 was a bit high for me) and tested again this morning. It was back to 8.3. It's possible that last night's test was just a bad reading (and within the precision/accuracy of the hanna anyways, probably right? Though I find it to be quite repeatable usually when done carefully), but it raises to a point my dilemma on how to dose in this system.

What is the optimal way I should be dosing to avoid daily alk swings? My pH swings from 8.1 at trough to 8.4 at peak. I run nothing to counteract pH other than an airline on the skimmer outside.

Secondary question, I have often needed to dose calcium at higher levels then I do my soda ash to keep it from dropping. Numbers like 28 mL Ca to 23.5 mL soda ash.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in the day, we used to add alkalinity at night to keep the pH from lowering at night. Many of us were using pH monitors. So we tried to control what we could test easily.

Now, with easier alkalinity testing, more folks are controlling alkalinity. I just bought an alkatronic. Just as you learned, I now know my alkalinity consumption is almost all during the day (Even a few hours after lights off) So to control that, I would dose alkalinity during the day.

So, to control pH better, I would dose at night. To control alkaliny better I would dose during the day. Dilemna...

I’m planning on just dosing slowly all day long. That’s what I’ve been doing the past few years. I’ve done all 3 methods and they all work. In reality, we would probably try to control the bicarbonate ion. That‘s what we think corals use. I think Randy has a thread about that.

BTW, I need to dose more calcium too.

DOJOLOACH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious if you guys have noticed a change in concentration of your alk supplement.

I've had a consistent drop In dkh .3 every day for the past two weeks, adding the same 10ml of liquid soda ash from brs. Today I tested two times and both came out .3 higher than previously.

Is it possible that I need to stir up my liquid soda ash before using it

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious if you guys have noticed a change in concentration of your alk supplement.

I've had a consistent drop In dkh .3 every day for the past two weeks, adding the same 10ml of liquid soda ash from brs. Today I tested two times and both came out .3 higher than previously.

I can't imagine that you would need to stir the soda ash. That doesn’t make sense to me. If the trend continues, the alkalinity consumption likely changed for some reason. This assumes your test kit it good.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I used 2 part, I dosed multiple times during the day when corals are using it.

I now switched to all for reef (which is good for smaller tanks but can be cost prohibitive for larger tanks). My Alk stays much more stable with this and I only need one dosing line.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No, it needs no stirring after initial dissolution unless it gets very cold or you made it more concentrated than the recipes suggest.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it needs no stirring after initial dissolution unless it gets very cold or you made it more concentrated than the recipes suggest.
What about shelf life?
I have some stored in glass bottles, but now use All for reef. I think my 2 part in the cabinet will be around for at least 5 years at the rate I use it for corrections.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about shelf life?
I have some stored in glass bottles, but now use All for reef. I think my 2 part in the cabinet will be around for at least 5 years at the rate I use it for corrections.

Two parts last forever.

An open high pH alk part will absorb CO2 and will give a lower pH effect, but the same alkalinity.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 24 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.7%
Back