• Other or None

Results are only viewable after voting.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There have been several discussions recently on the topic of automated alkalinity monitoring. My friend Daniel @mdbannister thought it might be interesting (and I totally agree) to poll members to see which of the new alk monitoring options (that are either in the market or in development) they're watching most closely.

So let everyone know which one has peaked your interest the most.

andrew james

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my KH Guardian Monitor (the $649.00 version) on Friday. I have it hooked up to my Apex through an extra PH port and it seems to be working well. It measures once every 4 hours and automatically adjusts the amount of 3 part (AF Comp 123) added based on the result. So far so good. I'll be doing a lot of measurements over the course of the next few weeks but at least for the last three days it's kept all my parameters rock steady.

I woke up early this moring to work on my Apex code to build in fail safes so a bad reading or some other unknown doesnt nuke my tank.

Last edited:

120reefkeeper

Reef keeping with Military Precision!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually did not vote. I haven't because at this point I'm watching several of these. They all have merits. I'm specifically looking at the differences in the technology. Some use PH probes etc some don't . Some other things I'm considering.

1. Accuracy and precision

2. Total costs including possible needed upgrades to current equipment, reoccurring costs if necessary.

3. Time frame to market.

4. Bang for your buck ( total capability)

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waiting on pricing on the director before making a decision on it or the Trident.

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watching with interest as the different options emerge. Can the poll allow multiple responses?

The ReefTronics one is interesting in that you decide what to test. I'm sure it will be limited vs Trident or some others, but the ability to track nutrients is certainly interesting.

It will be an interesting year in the hobby for sure.

Tony

Jonty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have run the KGH Guardian since January this year, and it has never missed a beat, I love the unit, and it has changed reef keeping for me especially once it I had integrated with my Apex unit via the AIM module.

mwilk19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was seriously considering the Neptune Trident. At the $500/600 price point it was doable. That was until I found out that I would have to replace my perfectly working Apex with the new model at an additional cost of $800. Too rich for my blood. I'll stick with the Hanna checkers.

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was seriously considering the Neptune Trident. At the $500/600 price point it was doable. That was until I found out that I would have to replace my perfectly working Apex with the new model at an additional cost of $800. Too rich for my blood. I'll stick with the Hanna checkers.

I'm with you on this. I just bought my Apex Classic brand new about a year and a half ago. I'll probably go with a stand alone unit or one that can be integrated via a module. Still not sure on which one yet.

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be going with the Trident. Although measuring calcium and magnesium is not necessary, I'm excited about the insights more data on these parameters might give to running a reef long term.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tough to pick just one, so I picked the one I think I'll probably be investing in (as it stands currently). However, my main focuses are in following the details on:
  • Mindstream (mostly because I have a unit coming to me that I won from a MACNA raffle in 2015)
  • Alkatronic (I really like the work that Jonas has done on this)
  • Reefbot (another great device that I'm really excited about. Rabih and his team have done excellent work on this, and I look for it's release soon. I particularly like that it can test alk and PO4 which IMO are the most frequently tested and most important factors in a reef)
  • Trident (I like that it will monitor and test alk, cal, and mg and that it is controllable via Apex...However, I currently own the Classic, so I'll have to wait until I can figure out a way to upgrade to the 2016 Apex before I could consider the Trident)
Others I am watching though not as closely:
  • KH Director by GHL (I like that it would tie into my profilux, but I'm not a fan of having to buy the doser to make it work...but I'm open to my mind being changed :))
  • Pacific Sun (I just saw this one, so I don't know much about it.)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It would be cool to have a chart that shows what they all offer in one easy to view graphic! :D

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It would be cool to have a chart that shows what they all offer in one easy to view graphic! :D
I was actually thinking about trying to put something like that together. :D Ya know, they say great minds think alike...apparently so do ours. ;Smug ;Smuggrin

agent462

I like my tanks wide
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have the KHG. I love it more than any other device/product I've bought for my aquarium (ati powermodules are close). The KHG has been in use for years now and has definitely long past the point to determine whether it's reliable or not. Now that there is a monitor only version that is cheaper it's more affordable with the same mechanics to make it reliable. I think the pro version will be getting a price drop soon to. They could improve on a few things; networking, the form of it/mounting of it, web user interface, reagent premixed. I love this thing though, buy one.

I'm interested in the Alkatronic, a lot, but it doesn't have long term testing of their components and software yet. I know Jonas has put in a ton of testing but the final device needs to go through the rigor. They are targeting some really nice features over the KHG. I have more than one tank so I see this device going on my frag system probably.

The trident is another interesting device and will sure be awesome. It's a device a ways away from being released though and overall market abuse that will go into testing it. I am very Apex deep in products so I will most likely be getting one for the multiple points of testing.

A great example of why my KHG is awesome or any of these devices in reality. The other day I tore down my calcium reactor to clean, change media, fix a leaky connector, etc. It usually takes a few days to a week to get the calcium reactor dialed back in after a full tear down. The KHG has kept the alkalinity in check by dosing almost every time it checks. Usually it only doses a tiny bit once per day. It's been dosing the max amount I allow it every time it checks. The alkalinity is mostly staying stable in the range I want. The only thing I could do different but I won't is allow it to dose more alkalinity solution so it's not doing max.

I think you can probably tell when I tore the reactor down and got it back online with the chart below.
Capture.PNG

deaclauderdale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll cast my vote for the KH Guardian as well. I find it very reliable and spot on with my salifert testing kits. I'd also be interested in the Alkatronic. The Trident is sweet but the form factor makes it a no go for me.

SMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None. I just finished reading the thread titled " My wife thinks this is too much, overboard, obsessed...."

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back