Discussion in 'Fish Discussion' started by evolved, Aug 4, 2016.

All About Reef Safe Wrasses in Aquaria

Below, you will find sections about: these guidelines, wrasses which qualify as reef safe, the general requirements, feeding, shipping,...
By evolved, Aug 4, 2016 | |
  1. leahfiish

leahfiish Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

Is it recommended to avoid multiples of Macropharyngodon bipartitus in the same tank? I would like one, but I also know they are delicate so I was thinking of getting multiples to increase the chance of one making it. I just don't want to do that if I'd have to rehome any "extras". It is a 120g if that matters.

2. eatbreakfast

eatbreakfast Fish Nerd Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Expert Contributor Partner Member Partner Member 2018

Female Macropharyngodon do well in groups. But there should only ever be one male.

leahfiish and Maritimer like this.
  3. schaNYC

schaNYC Member Partner Member 2018

Will a single female flame wrasse (all/most wrasses) eventually turn male if by itself for some time?

4. eatbreakfast

eatbreakfast Fish Nerd Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Expert Contributor Partner Member Partner Member 2018

In most cases, yes.

5. Crashjack

Crashjack Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

Is sand a requirement during quarantine for Halichoeres wrasses (such as Claudia)?

6. eatbreakfast

Yes, but just a small tupperware is all that's needed.

Crashjack likes this.
  7. Crashjack

Thanks! Another question, I have a C. ryukyuensis and am thinking about adding a C. temminckii and a H. claudia. The ryukyuensis is pretty large and is established in the DT. The temminckii should be smaller. Looking at Hunter's chart, temminckii is a little more aggressive, but the sub-groups aren't close together. The temminckii and claudia would be quarantined together and added to the DT at the same time. Should this work out ok?

Another question, I want to add 2-3 flashers later and wondered a little about C. temminickii and the flashers. To me, C. temminickii looks sort of like a flasher, but the fish might see it different. Might there be any issues?

Finally, I might punt temminickii for exquisitius as exquisitius is less aggressive. However, the sub-groups aren't that far apart. Any issue with exquisitius and the established ryukyuensis?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017 at 1:05 AM
  8. eatbreakfast

The exquisitus will be a better choice than temminkii for adding other fairy and flashers due to the temminkii's aggression.

Crashjack likes this.
  9. Crashjack

Should I be worried about comparability between exquisitius and ryukyuensis?

10. eatbreakfast

Those two should be fine together. Just use a social acclimation box to introduce a new wrasse to existing one.

Crashjack likes this.
  11. Fringe09

Fringe09 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter SCMAS Member Build Thread Contributor

Hi Hunter and fellow wrasse owners. Preparing to purchase my first peaceful wrasse on my 160 gallon tank. Read the first post and I have a question about the feeding guideline.

Any tips on how to feed 3-4 times a day for someone with a regular job that is away from the tank 8-10 hours a day? Do I need to personally hand feed them 3-4 times a day? Are you folks in a position where you are around your tank throughout the day?

12. eatbreakfast

Feed every hour when you are home and an autofeeder with pellets when you are not.

Fringe09 likes this.
  13. NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman Cave Dweller R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Would a pink streaked wrasse (Pseudocheilinops ataenia) outcompete a mandarin for pods? Any issue if they were kept together in a 30 gallon aquarium?

14. eatbreakfast

A pink streaked wrasse is fine with a mandarin, but 30g will have a hard time producing enough pods for a mandarin longterm.

NY_Caveman likes this.
  15. Crashjack

Will do. Would I really need to include H. claudia in the box as it is a different genus?

16. NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman Cave Dweller R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Figured that to be true. Had one that lived for years in a 55, but 30 is probably too small. I think the pink streaked wrasse though would be a good fit for the 30 gallon. Research shows it is peaceful.

17. eatbreakfast

I would add the claudia via acclimation box. Ryukyuensis are usually fine with other wrasses, but there are always exceptions.

18. eatbreakfast

Pseudocheilinops ataenia are very peaceful.

NY_Caveman likes this.
  19. Crashjack

Ok, one more question. I can get a female isosceles or a male exquisitius from a trusted online vendor. The female Isosceles would likely be better from a compatibility standpoint, but I'm unclear as to how large isosceles gets as some sites state like 3" and relatively small tanks, while some state 5". Tank size isn't an issue as my tank is 6'x2'x19", but I want the two fairies and the Claudia to be my largest fish (I think smaller fish look more natural). How large does isosceles get?

20. Fringe09

Fringe09 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter SCMAS Member Build Thread Contributor

Thank you.

eatbreakfast likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted