All About Reef Safe Wrasses in Aquaria

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanadianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering on buying Rosy Scales or Red Velvet (C. Rubrisquamis) for my 180. I already have a few fairies, C. Solorensis, C. Isosceles, C. Exquisitus. They are all good size as they have been in the tank for at least 4 to 6 months. I just reviewed @evolved's chart and it has them in red. How aggressive do they get?
I've never had an issue whatsoever with mine - model citizen.

CanadianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I found Cirrhilabrus Exquistus. Green Box.

Cirrhilabrus rubrisquamis is in the dark orange box not close to the green box. Safe to get?
I have both in my tank and have never had an issue. There may be a few days of figuring it out but usually they settle in after that

Jaag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What size is a minimum for a Koi Fairy Wrasse?
What is their temperament?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size is a minimum for a Koi Fairy Wrasse?
What is their temperament?
Online there are a couple of species called koi fairy wrasse.

One species, C. solorensis, though I wouldn't use koi fairy for this species, would need a 75g or larger tank. This is a pretty well-behaved species.

The other species, C. debelius, which is what I would recognize as koi fairy wrasse, would be fine in a 40g. But this species can be prettt aggressive to other fairy and flasher wrasses.

Jaag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is the African C. exquisitus the same as the Vanuatu exquisite wrasse?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the African C. exquisitus the same as the Vanuatu exquisite wrasse?
No, they are currently technically the same species, but that will eventually change. The African one, and all of them from the Indian ocean for that matter, have prominant pink markings on the side of the body. The Pacific ocean ones don't have that.

Josh Kraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I am planning on what fish I want/can introduce to my DT (after QT of course) and would like some help.

I am a big fan of wrasses, and bought my first one (Lubbocks) about a week and a half ago. Right now he is in QT with a coral beauty, and they are like best friends. I just finished my second round of prazi, and am going to begin CP (from the info I have gathered, this is okay right?). Once I finish with these two in QT, I want to get a few more fish in QT for my next round of additions.

Some info about my tank, its a Red Sea Reefer 350 (with a lid on the way, it will be in place before my first move from QT to DT). So, its a 73 gallon display, with 18 gallon sump. It does have a sand bottom, and the rock work is in a way where there are tunnels and plenty of hiding places. I am looking to add more fish, and would like to include more wrasses. Any recommendations on what is compatible with the Lubbocks I have? I am also hoping to add a few Bangai Cardinals, a Flame Angel, and maybe a Tang (I'm hesitant because I have a hatred of ich).

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I am planning on what fish I want/can introduce to my DT (after QT of course) and would like some help.

I am a big fan of wrasses, and bought my first one (Lubbocks) about a week and a half ago. Right now he is in QT with a coral beauty, and they are like best friends. I just finished my second round of prazi, and am going to begin CP (from the info I have gathered, this is okay right?). Once I finish with these two in QT, I want to get a few more fish in QT for my next round of additions.

Some info about my tank, its a Red Sea Reefer 350 (with a lid on the way, it will be in place before my first move from QT to DT). So, its a 73 gallon display, with 18 gallon sump. It does have a sand bottom, and the rock work is in a way where there are tunnels and plenty of hiding places. I am looking to add more fish, and would like to include more wrasses. Any recommendations on what is compatible with the Lubbocks I have? I am also hoping to add a few Bangai Cardinals, a Flame Angel, and maybe a Tang (I'm hesitant because I have a hatred of ich).
First, don't uze CP with wrasses, they don't handle it well.

There are many fairy, flasher, leopard, pencil, and small Halichoeres species that would mix well with the lubbocks. Your best bet would be to find species you are drawn to and post the specific species combinations for recommendations.

Josh Kraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, don't uze CP with wrasses, they don't handle it well.

There are many fairy, flasher, leopard, pencil, and small Halichoeres species that would mix well with the lubbocks. Your best bet would be to find species you are drawn to and post the specific species combinations for recommendations.

Even the prophylactic dosage (I'm not sure why people call it this, because we aren't treating for prevention, we are actually treating for "just in case", I believe the word is empiric)? I've never used copper, but is the norm compared to CP, or is it dependent on what you are treating?

When dosing prazi, I did notice my wrasse's eyes got cloudy, and that is an indicator of flukes right? They seemed normal this morning, last night I did my second WC and started running carbon. Would his eyes be cloudy from the meds, or from the flukes?

Last edited:

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even the prophylactic dosage (I'm not sure why people call it this, because we aren't treating for prevention, we are actually treating for "just in case", I believe the word is empiric)? I've never used copper, but is the norm compared to CP, or is it dependent on what you are treating?

When dosing prazi, I did notice my wrasse's eyes got cloudy, and that is an indicator of flukes right? They seemed normal this morning, last night I did my second WC and started running carbon. Would his eyes be cloudy from the meds, or from the flukes?
Cloudy eyes would be from flukes.

I've found that wrasses handle copper better than CP, but it has to be brought up to therapeutic levels slower than manufacturers suggestions.

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

From what I've read, though CP is not recommended for wrasses, more success has been seen with fairy wrasses than others. I've got a Pintail (C. Isoceles) going through quarantine right now in its second round of GC. I'm going to try CP because though I've achieved success with Coppersafe (I guess), nobody has a good way to measure it, and nobody really knows what concentration a dose of Coppersafe really yields, not even Fritz. I can dose, test, dose, test-- 10 times per day if I want to, but at the end of the day, I'm really just guessing. My plan is to try around 42 mg/gal CP and just watch. If the fish stops feeding, I'll do a big water change and add carbon. Assuming the fish recovers, I'll be stuck with Coppersafe. If the fish continues to feed, I'll run my normal quarantine course and be done.

LagunaGlide

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good read. Thanks for the contribution. Sadly it killed my dreams of having several wrasse and one of them being a Mystery. One of my favorite fish period as far as looks. Now I have to decide A) get the must have mystery, or B) have several Wrasse. Oh well life is hard ;Joyful

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS has a pair of pintail wrasses. I was planning on buying the male, but this article suggests that if I get the female instead it will turn male and have better coloration, is that correct? How likely is it that this would happen?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS has a pair of pintail wrasses. I was planning on buying the male, but this article suggests that if I get the female instead it will turn male and have better coloration, is that correct? How likely is it that this would happen?
The female will likely transition into a male. It may or may not develop better coloration.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering my next fish additions and love the idea of a Ruby Longfin Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus rubeus). Current stock in the 120G is:

1 x True Percula (female, the big momma boss of everything)
2 x Black & White clowns, the larger of the two currently the mate to the True Perc
2 x Red Firefish
1 x Wheeler's Goby
1 x Hippo Tang
1 x Scribbled Rabbitfish
1 x Pygmy Yellowtail Angel

Also want to add a Bicolor Blenny at the same time.
The clownfish spawn every 2-3 weeks lately. Is there any worry that Cirrhilabrus will go after the eggs and get in trouble? Any other compatibility concerns here?

Thanks!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering my next fish additions and love the idea of a Ruby Longfin Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus rubeus). Current stock in the 120G is:

1 x True Percula (female, the big momma boss of everything)
2 x Black & White clowns, the larger of the two currently the mate to the True Perc
2 x Red Firefish
1 x Wheeler's Goby
1 x Hippo Tang
1 x Scribbled Rabbitfish
1 x Pygmy Yellowtail Angel

Also want to add a Bicolor Blenny at the same time.
The clownfish spawn every 2-3 weeks lately. Is there any worry that Cirrhilabrus will go after the eggs and get in trouble? Any other compatibility concerns here?

Thanks!
Fish learn pretty quickly not to go after clownfish eggs. It should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back