All About Reef Safe Wrasses in Aquaria

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoob1e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you recommend in a mixed reef, red sea 250 has a yellow tang and a Bartlett anthias with clowns. Just had to take my 6line out as he was killing my cuc and bullying my fish. My thoughts where a mckocters and or flasher.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you recommend in a mixed reef, red sea 250 has a yellow tang and a Bartlett anthias with clowns. Just had to take my 6line out as he was killing my cuc and bullying my fish. My thoughts where a mckocters and or flasher.
Firstly, in a 250 reefer I would recommend removing the tang, as that's too small of tank.

Also, in that sized tank a Bartlett's will likely be problematic to other peaceful planktivores, such as flasher wrasses. Perhaps a small Halichoeres, such as the yellow Cori's or grey head wrasse.

bhuyett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question about compatibility based on my current tank mates.

I may have the opportunity to pick up two wrasses I have been looking for. A nice C. Laboutei, and a Macropharyngondon Choati to add to my tank and wondering if they would fit in with my current tank mates. I read in the "Reef Safe Wrasse Thread", about the Laboutei being peaceful when young, then become much more aggressive with maturity. What concerns if any should I be prepared for or should I forgo this as an option all together?

I currently have in my tank:
- Cirrhilabrus Lineatus - Super Male
- C. Rhomboidalis - female
- C. Jordani - female
- C. Isosceles - Supermale
- Halichoeres Chrysus
- Halichoeres Melasmapomus
- Macropharyngondon Ornatus

Thanks for your insight!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question about compatibility based on my current tank mates.

I may have the opportunity to pick up two wrasses I have been looking for. A nice C. Laboutei, and a Macropharyngondon Choati to add to my tank and wondering if they would fit in with my current tank mates. I read in the "Reef Safe Wrasse Thread", about the Laboutei being peaceful when young, then become much more aggressive with maturity. What concerns if any should I be prepared for or should I forgo this as an option all together?

I currently have in my tank:
- Cirrhilabrus Lineatus - Super Male
- C. Rhomboidalis - female
- C. Jordani - female
- C. Isosceles - Supermale
- Halichoeres Chrysus
- Halichoeres Melasmapomus
- Macropharyngondon Ornatus

Thanks for your insight!
Both should be fine. There are other established fairy wrasses, and a few of them to direct attention.

The ornatus may or may not be aggressive to the choati. It varies greatly between individuals.

For both I would still strongly recommend utilizing a social acclimation box to introduce.

Emery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have a list of non borrowing Reef safe wrasse that I can keep in a bare bottom tank?

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tank is appropriately sized, any of the fairy or flasher wrasses would be appropriate. If mulitiples are added do some research in the two articles evolved has written.

Emery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cirrhilabrus, Paracheilinus, Wetmorella, Pseudocheilinops.

Thanks, when I go to the LFS they don’t have the genus written out like that. Do you know the common hobby names for those? I’ll try looking them up aswell.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, when I go to the LFS they don’t have the genus written out like that. Do you know the common hobby names for those? I’ll try looking them up aswell.
Cirrhilabrus= fairy wrasse
Paracheilinus= flasher wrasse
Wetmorella= possum wrasse
Pseudecheilinops= pink streak wrasse

allaboutcorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this was great read as I am looking into a few wrasses for the new setup. Thanks!

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TJ, I have 3 flashers (mccoskeri, cyaneus, flavianalis) that will complete QT in a couple of weeks. My tentative plan was to add them to the DT and then in a couple of months get an octotaenia. Would that work in a 72x24 tank? Would it be ok to add another flasher to the trio before the eight line for 5 total in the tank?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TJ, I have 3 flashers (mccoskeri, cyaneus, flavianalis) that will complete QT in a couple of weeks. My tentative plan was to add them to the DT and then in a couple of months get an octotaenia. Would that work in a 72x24 tank? Would it be ok to add another flasher to the trio before the eight line for 5 total in the tank?
Yeah, I think that plan sounds good.

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Once your 3 that are in QT go in; any and all future additions would need to go in an acclimation box....
And if any of the 3 that you have currently become rambunctious to future additions, it will have to go into the acclimation box for a timeout

Whysosalty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!! I’m looking to get another couple wrasses in my 60 gallon cube reef tank. I currently have a pintail wrasse and am looking at a Labouts fairy wrasse. Anyone think they will mix?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!! I’m looking to get another couple wrasses in my 60 gallon cube reef tank. I currently have a pintail wrasse and am looking at a Labouts fairy wrasse. Anyone think they will mix?
Labouti wrasses get a little too big and active for a 60g.

Adam Puryear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hunter, what are some of the more rare wrasses that are of interest to you? I know you mentioned this in your article. I saw a presentation you did at one of the MACNA events on youtube that seemed very similar to your article here, at least I believe it was you as far as I can remember :).

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hunter, what are some of the more rare wrasses that are of interest to you? I know you mentioned this in your article. I saw a presentation you did at one of the MACNA events on youtube that seemed very similar to your article here, at least I believe it was you as far as I can remember :).
That was indeed Hunter on the presentation. Unfortunately, life has been busy for him and he hasn't been on here for awhile.

I know that Hunter had a C. clairei, C. johnsoni, P. bellae and an Anampses femininus, among others in his "collection".

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@eaybreakfast what do you think about these guys being together ?they will all be from small to medium size Also I will be adding more fairy’s later on.

1. A. Caeruleopuncatus - bluespotted wrasse.
2. A. Lineatus- lined tamarin
3. A. Meleagrides- yellow tail tamarin
4. C. Africanus- Spike fin fairy
5. P. Antennuatus- diamond tail(may get two)
6. M. Bipartitus- x2-bluestar leopard
7. M. Cyanoguttatus-x2- spotted leopard

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@eaybreakfast what do you think about these guys being together ?they will all be from small to medium size Also I will be adding more fairy’s later on.

1. A. Caeruleopuncatus - bluespotted wrasse.
2. A. Lineatus- lined tamarin
3. A. Meleagrides- yellow tail tamarin
4. C. Africanus- Spike fin fairy
5. P. Antennuatus- diamond tail(may get two)
6. M. Bipartitus- x2-bluestar leopard
7. M. Cyanoguttatus-x2- spotted leopard
What size is the tank again?
A. caeruleopunctatus gets almost a foot and a half and A. meeagrides gets 9".

Also diamondtails can be pretty feisty with one another, so unless the tank is 150+g I would only do 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 43.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 30.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back