Discussion in 'Fish Discussion' started by evolved, Aug 4, 2016.

All About Reef Safe Wrasses in Aquaria

Below, you will find sections about: these guidelines, wrasses which qualify as reef safe, the general requirements, feeding, shipping,...
By evolved, Aug 4, 2016 | |
  1. Shoob1e

Shoob1e Active Member

What would you recommend in a mixed reef, red sea 250 has a yellow tang and a Bartlett anthias with clowns. Just had to take my 6line out as he was killing my cuc and bullying my fish. My thoughts where a mckocters and or flasher.

2. eatbreakfast

eatbreakfast Fish Nerd Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Partner Member Showcase Editor Expert Contributor

Firstly, in a 250 reefer I would recommend removing the tang, as that's too small of tank.

Also, in that sized tank a Bartlett's will likely be problematic to other peaceful planktivores, such as flasher wrasses. Perhaps a small Halichoeres, such as the yellow Cori's or grey head wrasse.

3. bhuyett

bhuyett Active Member

Quick question about compatibility based on my current tank mates.

I may have the opportunity to pick up two wrasses I have been looking for. A nice C. Laboutei, and a Macropharyngondon Choati to add to my tank and wondering if they would fit in with my current tank mates. I read in the "Reef Safe Wrasse Thread", about the Laboutei being peaceful when young, then become much more aggressive with maturity. What concerns if any should I be prepared for or should I forgo this as an option all together?

I currently have in my tank:
    - Cirrhilabrus Lineatus - Super Male
    - C. Rhomboidalis - female
    - C. Jordani - female
    - C. Isosceles - Supermale
    - Halichoeres Chrysus
    - Halichoeres Melasmapomus
    - Macropharyngondon Ornatus

Thanks for your insight!

4. eatbreakfast

eatbreakfast Fish Nerd Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Partner Member Showcase Editor Expert Contributor

Both should be fine. There are other established fairy wrasses, and a few of them to direct attention.

The ornatus may or may not be aggressive to the choati. It varies greatly between individuals.

For both I would still strongly recommend utilizing a social acclimation box to introduce.

bhuyett likes this.
  5. Emery

Emery Active Member

Anyone have a list of non borrowing Reef safe wrasse that I can keep in a bare bottom tank?

6. saltyhog

saltyhog Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019

If the tank is appropriately sized, any of the fairy or flasher wrasses would be appropriate. If mulitiples are added do some research in the two articles evolved has written.

eatbreakfast likes this.
  7. eatbreakfast

Cirrhilabrus, Paracheilinus, Wetmorella, Pseudocheilinops.

ChiCity and Emery like this.
  8. Emery

Emery Active Member

Thanks, when I go to the LFS they don’t have the genus written out like that. Do you know the common hobby names for those? I’ll try looking them up aswell.

9. eatbreakfast

Cirrhilabrus= fairy wrasse
    Paracheilinus= flasher wrasse
    Wetmorella= possum wrasse
    Pseudecheilinops= pink streak wrasse

norfolkgarden, ChiCity and Emery like this.
  10. Emery

Emery Active Member

Thanks a lot, much appreciated

norfolkgarden likes this.
  11. allaboutcorals

allaboutcorals Active Member R2R Supporter

this was great read as I am looking into a few wrasses for the new setup. Thanks!

12. saltyhog

saltyhog Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019

TJ, I have 3 flashers (mccoskeri, cyaneus, flavianalis) that will complete QT in a couple of weeks. My tentative plan was to add them to the DT and then in a couple of months get an octotaenia. Would that work in a 72x24 tank? Would it be ok to add another flasher to the trio before the eight line for 5 total in the tank?

norfolkgarden likes this.
  13. eatbreakfast

Yeah, I think that plan sounds good.

saltyhog likes this.
  14. ChiCity

ChiCity Valuable Member R2R Supporter

Once your 3 that are in QT go in; any and all future additions would need to go in an acclimation box....
    And if any of the 3 that you have currently become rambunctious to future additions, it will have to go into the acclimation box for a timeout

saltyhog likes this.
  15. Whysosalty

Whysosalty Active Member

Hey everyone!! I’m looking to get another couple wrasses in my 60 gallon cube reef tank. I currently have a pintail wrasse and am looking at a Labouts fairy wrasse. Anyone think they will mix?

16. eatbreakfast

Labouti wrasses get a little too big and active for a 60g.

17. Adam Puryear

Adam Puryear Member

Hunter, what are some of the more rare wrasses that are of interest to you? I know you mentioned this in your article. I saw a presentation you did at one of the MACNA events on youtube that seemed very similar to your article here, at least I believe it was you as far as I can remember :).

18. eatbreakfast

That was indeed Hunter on the presentation. Unfortunately, life has been busy for him and he hasn't been on here for awhile.

I know that Hunter had a C. clairei, C. johnsoni, P. bellae and an Anampses femininus, among others in his "collection".

19. Greenstreet.1

Greenstreet.1 Valuable Member

@eaybreakfast what do you think about these guys being together ?they will all be from small to medium size Also I will be adding more fairy’s later on.

1. A. Caeruleopuncatus - bluespotted wrasse.
    2. A. Lineatus- lined tamarin
    3. A. Meleagrides- yellow tail tamarin
    4. C. Africanus- Spike fin fairy
    5. P. Antennuatus- diamond tail(may get two)
    6. M. Bipartitus- x2-bluestar leopard
    7. M. Cyanoguttatus-x2- spotted leopard

20. eatbreakfast

What size is the tank again?
    A. caeruleopunctatus gets almost a foot and a half and A. meeagrides gets 9".

Also diamondtails can be pretty feisty with one another, so unless the tank is 150+g I would only do 1.

Draft saved Draft deleted