Discussion in 'Fish Discussion' started by evolved, Aug 4, 2016.

All About Reef Safe Wrasses in Aquaria

Below, you will find sections about: these guidelines, wrasses which qualify as reef safe, the general requirements, feeding, shipping,...
By evolved, Aug 4, 2016 | |
  1. eatbreakfast

eatbreakfast Fish Nerd Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Partner Member Showcase Editor Expert Contributor

They aren't as regularly available as they were, but they are still coming in.

2. Makers Marc

Makers Marc Active Member

Do you see them online anywhere? Will your LFS be interested in shipping?

3. eatbreakfast

eatbreakfast Fish Nerd Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Partner Member Showcase Editor Expert Contributor

My LFS doesn't ship, but I know that a potter's was on the quality marine list. So I would recommend being in contact with your LFS and have them keep an eye out from the various suppliers.

Makers Marc likes this.
  4. HairyGary

HairyGary Why do all your fish look like trout? R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award R2R Secret Santa Build Thread Contributor

My LFS was holding a small redtail tamerin for me two weeks ago but some employee left open the top the night before after feeding. Needless to say, it was dry when we found her the next day. She gets them periodically but not as usual as before. i thought I say a yellow tale on the NY Aquatics site this week.

Makers Marc likes this.
  5. Makers Marc

Makers Marc Active Member

There is a yellow tail for really cheap as well. Im considering getting it, although the potters and red tail are my preference at this point, as im not a huge fan of how a male yellowtail looks.

6. HairyGary

HairyGary Why do all your fish look like trout? R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award R2R Secret Santa Build Thread Contributor

Yeah I get that. MY LFS can pretty much get anything so I don't buy online. They don't ship to my knowledge though. Yeah I would have your LFS keep an eye out for them

7. evolved

evolved The Wrasse Guy Staff Member Team R2R R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor AZ FRAG Member Article Contributor Expert Contributor

I tend to error on the side of caution, hence that note with rubrisquammis. Usually, they're feisty but you can mix other Cirrhilabrus if you choose right. However, when things go bad with them they can be an outright murder.
    FWIW, I have had a pair of clowns for years which spawn on regular occasion. No issue with wrasses; they learn the clowns territory and stay away.
    Really, just about any of them which are not collected in a regular fashion. A high price tag comes along with many of those, but not all.
    Those are some fair picks, but I will say that bellae did not impress me when I kept one. I won't pay the price tag on them again - there are much better flashers out there for <$100.

saltyhog and eatbreakfast like this.
  8. Radman73

Radman73 Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

2 H. Chrysus together in a 220? I'm assuming no but figured it doesn't hurt to ask.

9. eatbreakfast

H. chrysus is probably one of the few Halichoeres wrasses that it can be done for awhile. But there will likely be problems when they are both male.

Radman73 likes this.
  10. Radman73

Thanks, what I figured and it isn't fair to the fish to cause those kinds of problems down the road.

11. evolved

evolved The Wrasse Guy Staff Member Team R2R R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor AZ FRAG Member Article Contributor Expert Contributor

Agree. It is the one species of Halichoeres I've seen kept in an aggregate of 4-5 and seems to do okay.
    In a 220, it is one of the few species of Halichoeres I would be willing to try with. If you're vigilant, you can always act down the road if need be.

Radman73 likes this.
  12. Radman73

I do have a 60 cube that I could always move one too. Now you have me thinking again lol!

Thanks guys.

13. nwkennard

nwkennard Member

So I might have made a mistake with some new wrasse purchases and want to get some feedback on what I can expect going forward.

I have a 93 gal cube with the following fish; Kole Tang, Flame-Back Angel, Clown, Valentini Puffer, Blue Dot Jawfish, C. solorensis, C. lubboki, and C. cyanopleura (blue sided).

I had credit with LA and a pretty large gift certificate that was about to expire and noticed that a Scott's from Fiji and an Exquisite from Maldives had just come in. So I ordered them.

Of course in my impulsiveness I totally forgot that Scott's fairys are generally aggressive towards other fairys. Should I attempt to acclimate them and see how it goes? Also, the Scott's is listed as a juvinile/female. Will it help that it's not coming in as a male at first?

And lastly, If all 5 fairys do work out, should I see color fading from certain ones? Given the fact I'll have 5 males together will that stop any future color loss? And if some will lose color, which ones can I expect it from.

@eatbreakfast or @evolved if you have any opinions I would greatly appreciate it.

14. evolved

Solorensis and cyanopluera are pretty closely related, and a 93 cube doesn't offer them much space to avoid another. Could be an issue.
    Uh oh...
    Personally, I wouldn't. Exquisitus is fine though.
    There's a chance it could for now, but given that it will transition to male anyway and simply get larger, it would only be for a limited time.
    No, and if you do, it's a sign of it being excessively bullied.
    Scottorum always fades in captivity anyway; no real known way to avoid it.

15. eatbreakfast

^agreed on just about all fronts. Sometimes female scotts can be pretty aggressive too.

16. nwkennard

nwkennard Member

Well it's already been shipped out, i'm in the middle of a tank transfer so I have all the fish in the 93 while the other tank goes fallow. I'll leave them in there for the 76 days, I'll monitor aggression and if I see anything serious I'll remove the Scott's. With regards to the C. cyanpleura and the solorensis, they get along pretty well and are fully transitioned males. Is there any chance they can work out not becoming aggressive towards each other? Likewise, is it 100% sure the Scott's will become aggressive if left in there or is there a possibility of co-habitation.

17. evolved

There's a chance they could work together; I'd venture 40-50% likelihood. Something to always keep an eye on though.
    It's not a 100% certain, but a good 95%.

18. ccbobafett

ccbobafett Active Member

Quick question,

Will a fairy wrasse be compatible with a crushed coral substrate?

Thanks

19. Greenstreet.1

Greenstreet.1 Valuable Member

They don’t sleep in the sand.

20. ccbobafett

ccbobafett Active Member

Thanks that’s what I thought, but lfs said I couldn’t have one because when scared they dive towards sand so I was confused.

Draft saved Draft deleted