OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stocking questions for the wrasse experts! Please forgive me if this is a dumb idea...

So I have a P. cyaneus that has one week left in QT, and I’m already addicted to wrasses. He’s an awesome fish. I would like to add as many more wrasse I can. Problem is my tanks a 40B barebottom. After some research I’ve come up with the following list:

H. melanurus (will put some sand in a container for him to sleep)
C. lubbocki
P. carpenteri

My current stocking is 2 Ocellaris Clowns that don’t leave their corner, and a Filefish that stays in the rocks. So I still have plenty of open water real estate. Only other fish I might add would be a algae Blenny of some sort.

Would this list be ok with my tank size?

Thanks!
The only issue I see is with the melanurus. A 40g tank is a bit on the small side for the species, and it may lead to aggression as it matures.
The rest of the plan is fine though. +1 on using an acclimation box.

DSmithZ28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 93 cube and want to add some wrasse(s) to my system. It's got a deep sand bed and lots of rock work but a tank boss Whitetail BT Tang. He is a very active butthead. I added a flame angel and he immediately went to seek and destroy mode. The flame, faster and smarter hid in the rocks and slowly started coming out. The tang ignored it after few days of some chasing. There are also 2 bonded clowns which he hangs out with when not grazing. I would like to add a yellow choris and a leopard wrasse. I have an acclimation box, but that did not help with the flame angel. the tang ignored it completely. I released at night and soon as he woke up went right after the flame. I have since re-homed the flame for acan nipping violations. So its just the three fish. Would I be right to assume that if the tang starts trouble the wrasse will dive into the sand? I am hoping after a couple days the tang would go about his own business as was with the Flame. The wrasse don't look anything like him so that should help. The tang spends a fair amount of time daily kicking the crap out of his reflection. Should I be okay?

anew2thereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm loving this thread! I also have a 40 breeder. I love the way the wrasse(s) look! I wanna add them to my tank but I'm afraid that they would destroy my Zoa garden and and a few Acans and frogspawn. Any wrasse(s) on the smaller size and being reef safe? I would like to add 4 of them...

Thanks!

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 93 cube and want to add some wrasse(s) to my system. It's got a deep sand bed and lots of rock work but a tank boss Whitetail BT Tang. He is a very active butthead. I added a flame angel and he immediately went to seek and destroy mode. The flame, faster and smarter hid in the rocks and slowly started coming out. The tang ignored it after few days of some chasing. There are also 2 bonded clowns which he hangs out with when not grazing. I would like to add a yellow choris and a leopard wrasse. I have an acclimation box, but that did not help with the flame angel. the tang ignored it completely. I released at night and soon as he woke up went right after the flame. I have since re-homed the flame for acan nipping violations. So its just the three fish. Would I be right to assume that if the tang starts trouble the wrasse will dive into the sand? I am hoping after a couple days the tang would go about his own business as was with the Flame. The wrasse don't look anything like him so that should help. The tang spends a fair amount of time daily kicking the crap out of his reflection. Should I be okay?
I would tend to think the tang would pay little attention to those wrasses, but I would still use an acclimation box. Yes - if the tang harass them both fish would bury in the sand. If he harassed them every time they emerged to the point of driving them back into the sand, then that would bode poorly.

Malkbone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm loving this thread! I also have a 40 breeder. I love the way the wrasse(s) look! I wanna add them to my tank but I'm afraid that they would destroy my Zoa garden and and a few Acans and frogspawn. Any wrasse(s) on the smaller size and being reef safe? I would like to add 4 of them...

Thanks!
Fairy Wrasse stay small and a reef safe, They're very colorful.

Also flasher Wrasse

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanna add them to my tank but I'm afraid that they would destroy my Zoa garden and and a few Acans and frogspawn. Any wrasse(s) on the smaller size and being reef safe?
This question makes me question if you read the first post?

ReeferNoob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should be fine. Just add the fairy and flasher via social acvlimation box because the P. cyaneus will be established by then.

Ok great, thanks. I have an acclimation box standing by!

The only issue I see is with the melanurus. A 40g tank is a bit on the small side for the species, and it may lead to aggression as it matures.
The rest of the plan is fine though. +1 on using an acclimation box.

I was afraid of that. If I have to rule out having any Halichoeres, would it be ok to add another from the Cirrhilabrus family instead? Thanks!

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was afraid of that. If I have to rule out having any Halichoeres
If you want a Halichoeres, consider chrysus or biocellatus instead. Both are very mild in temperament. I just wouldn't risk a species that could get aggressive in smaller quarters (like melanurus).
would it be ok to add another from the Cirrhilabrus family instead?
Something from the lunatus complex would work:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/c...feriority-need-not-apply-1st-revision.322326/

Malkbone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't seen much discussion on CuC for Wrasse heavy systems. I've been buying an extra hermit/snail anytime I stock up to compensate with losses to the new janitors.

Anyone found any CuC that they can't go without in a heavy Wrasse tank?

Last edited:
OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't seen much discussion on CuC for Wrasse heavy systems. I've been buying an extra hermit/snail anytime I stock up to compensate with losses to the new janitors.

It depends what genera you stick to. If you have Halichoeres wrasses, this can be an issue, but nearly all the other genera won't pose a threat to your motile inverts (some larger Anampses can, and sometimes large Macropharyngodon too).

If you do have Halichoeres wrasses, it's best to add your new CuC when the fish is in the sand bed - early in the day or late at night. If they don't see you add them, they get less curious about hunting the "food" you put in. :)

Red banded trochus and the mostly black hermits tend to last the best for me. Abalones are pretty impervious too.

ReeferNoob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want a Halichoeres, consider chrysus or biocellatus instead. Both are very mild in temperament. I just wouldn't risk a species that could get aggressive in smaller quarters (like melanurus).

Something from the lunatus complex would work:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/cirrhilabrus-complexes-inferiority-need-not-apply-1st-revision.322326
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/c...feriority-need-not-apply-1st-revision.322326/

I will check out the article, thanks. Still learning the whole multi-quote response thing on this forum, sorry.

Perfect, I really like the biocellatus. My goal is a peaceful reef so that sounds good to me.

Last question I promise :D
Would it be ok to QT any 2 from my list together, in a 10g tank? I could easily upgrade to a 20g if you believe that would be better.

Last edited:

Malkbone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I will check out the article, thanks. Still learning the whole multi-quote response thing on this forum, sorry.

Perfect, I really like the biocellatus. My goal is a peaceful reef so that sounds good to me.

Last question I promise :D
Would it be ok to QT any 2 from my list together, in a 10g tank? I could easily upgrade to a 20g if you believe that would be better.

Make sure your qt has places for them to hide. PVC pipe/fittings 2"+ work well.

I've found if they both get qt'd at the same time they generally do just fine, there is a really well written thread here on r2r that covers most of the quarantine process.
https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?posts/2177961

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to apologize. :) (it's easier on a computer, but just highlight the text you want and then click the "+quote" button that pops up.)
Bigger is always better, but you can do it in a 10g if you keep tabs on water quality. You will need a sandbox for a Halichoeres in QT.

ReeferNoob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to apologize. :) (it's easier on a computer, but just highlight the text you want and then click the "+quote" button that pops up.)

Think I got it now! Thanks

Bigger is always better, but you can do it in a 10g if you keep tabs on water quality. You will need a sandbox for a Halichoeres in QT.

That sounds good, I will definitely have some sand in a Tupperware for him.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In most cases the tang SHOULD ignore the wrasses. However, I had a kole tang(close relative to the white tail) that absolutely hated leopard wrasses and chased them relentlessly. That is not the norm, but it can happen.

Emerald crabs are among my favorites. Very unlikely to hunt anything, big enough and sturdy enough to be ignored by the desirable Halichoeres.

If you don't mind their stealing frags and other small reef tank items, tuxedo and Halloween urchins do a good job.

I've also found most nassarius are savy enough to avoid being eaten by wrasses.

Nopy117

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What (If any) wrasse do you recommend for a 15g community reef with peaceful tankmates, and a 25g nuvo lagoon with also peaceful tankmates?

Thanks!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What (If any) wrasse do you recommend for a 15g community reef with peaceful tankmates, and a 25g nuvo lagoon with also peaceful tankmates?

Thanks!
Pseudocheilinops ataenia(pink streak wrasse) or a Wetmorella species(possum wrasse).

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks!
Pseudocheilinops ataenia(pink streak wrasse) or a Wetmorella species(possum wrasse).
+1 to those.
They're the only wrasse species suitable for tanks that size.

ReeferNoob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured I might as well post an update-

Went ahead and picked up a 20L from Petco and ordered a H. biocellatus and P. flavianalis from LiveAquaria. Unfortunately the P. flavianalis didn't even make it 24 hours and I don’t really know why. I matched temp, salinity, and had the room as dark as possible during acclimation and release. Bummer for sure.

The H. biocellatus is doing fantastic though, eats like a pig and apparently likes his picture taken. Don’t mind all the sand everywhere in the pictures, he was acting like he couldn’t find the Pyrex bowl so I just dumped the sand out in a corner.

I will be ordering another Paracheilinus this week

E1F7C037-1A6A-4333-9F39-0233894BBAB1.jpeg
46638CA0-9411-4BDE-BCCC-C29FF8EAD5F4.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back