Status
Not open for further replies.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hypothetically, what, if any, wrasses or wrasse genera would be suitable to add to a 45 gallon, bare bottom, AIO aquarium. Display is probably 38-40 gallons and 24” x 16”.

Tank would already have a Pink Streaked Wrasse (Pseudocheilinops ataenia), cleaner shrimp, snails and hermits. Later addition would be two Amphiprion ocellaris. Considering something peaceful, but perhaps more outgoing (less shy) than the Pseudocheilinops ataenia. Thanks.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hypothetically, what, if any, wrasses or wrasse genera would be suitable to add to a 45 gallon, bare bottom, AIO aquarium. Display is probably 38-40 gallons and 24” x 16”.

Tank would already have a Pink Streaked Wrasse (Pseudocheilinops ataenia), cleaner shrimp, snails and hermits. Later addition would be two Amphiprion ocellaris. Considering something peaceful, but perhaps more outgoing (less shy) than the Pseudocheilinops ataenia. Thanks.
Well, you already have the suggestion I was going to make first, lol.
The next best option is a Possum (wetmorella) species, but they are also a bit on the cryptic side.
Unfortunately I don't feel the tank is large enough for much else.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, you already have the suggestion I was going to make first, lol.
The next best option is a Possum (wetmorella) species, but they are also a bit on the cryptic side.
Unfortunately I don't feel the tank is large enough for much else.

Pretty much what I thought. Thanks Hunter!

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*EDIT* Nevermind, saw that you already had a pink streaked. I agree the Possum Wrasse would be the only option.

sloanhaus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up my 300 gallon tank. It’s going to be mostly wrasses, tangs, and anthias.

After advice from another member, it was recommended to start with the wrasses and then add the tangs. Is this correct. Also, I’m looking to add a show piece wrasse, don’t want to spend more than $300 on him or her. Which wrasses would be the best? I looked at the pintail fairy, but wanted to see if there are others I should look at.

Thanks

Sloan

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Setting up my 300 gallon tank. It’s going to be mostly wrasses, tangs, and anthias.

After advice from another member, it was recommended to start with the wrasses and then add the tangs. Is this correct. Also, I’m looking to add a show piece wrasse, don’t want to spend more than $300 on him or her. Which wrasses would be the best? I looked at the pintail fairy, but wanted to see if there are others I should look at.

Thanks

Sloan

I would add tangs last as they may be most aggressive of the bunch.

In that price range for fairies I would think about C. Lineatus, C. Rhombodalis or the Pintail (C. Isosceles). All three pretty peaceful To stay under 300 get smaller males or female. Harder to get Flashers would be nice as well. Attenutus or redtail. I even think I saw a Bells for 399.99.

With a tank that size you have a big list to choose from but be sure to read Hunter’s article on compatibility and species that are more aggressive.

With that list you have you will have a very active and attractive tank. Good luck.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After advice from another member, it was recommended to start with the wrasses and then add the tangs. Is this correct.
That would be the safest order, yes.
Also, I’m looking to add a show piece wrasse, don’t want to spend more than $300 on him or her. Which wrasses would be the best?
That is really not a question that I, or anyone else for that matter, can answer for you. "Best" is a matter of what visually appeals to you, and that is not something anyone can judge for you. Take the time to sift through the first post and Google through photos; we can certainly steer you away from less-than-ideal choices once you have a list of top candidates. :)

PGT253

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cross-posted,

I believe my wrasses have prazi resistant strain of flukes. I have done TTM & couple doses of GC but one of them still scratches/flashes. In fact, that particular wrasse has flashed continuously for 3 weeks since arrival. What do you recommend for treatment?

Thanks!

ReeferNoob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cross-posted,

I believe my wrasses have prazi resistant strain of flukes. I have done TTM & couple doses of GC but one of them still scratches/flashes. In fact, that particular wrasse has flashed continuously for 3 weeks since arrival. What do you recommend for treatment?

Thanks!

I’ve read that General Cure has a lot less Praziquantel in it when compared to PraziPro. So it might not be an effective enough dosage to eliminate the flukes, however I am no expert by any means! I’m sure the pros will chime in soon.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will happily defer to your thread in the disease forum for that one; those folks are far more versed than I.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cross-posted,

Thanks!

GC has prazi in it at the correct dose. When you use prazi by itself the dose is stronger than the dose in GC. The scratching that you see may be from the curing of the sites where the flukes was attached to.
You can try a round of prazi to see if that helps.

scottsreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Evolved I am looking at buying a Cirrhilabrus laboutei. My tank is a 180 mixed reef tank and i have a Cirrhilabrus solorensis in there now. Do you think they can live happily together???
TKS
Scott

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Evolved I am looking at buying a Cirrhilabrus laboutei. My tank is a 180 mixed reef tank and i have a Cirrhilabrus solorensis in there now. Do you think they can live happily together???
TKS
Scott
Probably with the size of the tank. Both species can be pushy when grown. Definitely use an acclimation box!

aherre07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am almost ready to start my wrasse acquisition and have quite a few wrasses in mind so wanted to see which ones I should introduce together and which ones I can add a later time. I'd like to get them in 3 groups if possible for two main reasons: 1) cost as some of these wrasses are not cheap and 2) to try and avoid tank overload and keep the water chemistry in the QT as stable as possible. Fish will go through an observation period and prazi treatment as well. So the fish on the list are:

Pink Margin C. rubrimarginatus
Pintail C. isosceles
Lineatus C. lineatus
Rhomboid C. rhomboidalis
Labouti C. laboutei
Flame C. jordani
Red Velvet C. rubrisquamis
Diamond tail P. attenuatus
Radiant H. iridis

The tank is a 240 gallon tank with plenty of rock and open swimming space and has been up and running for over a year and a half now. The groups that I have planned to get them in are as follows:

Group 1 - Pink margin, Rhomboid, Pintail
Group 2 - Red Velvet, Lineatus, Labouti
Group 3 - Radiant, Diamond tail, flame

Will this stocking plan be feasible in accordance with expected aggression and space? Any recommendations and suggestions are welcome.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am almost ready to start my wrasse acquisition and have quite a few wrasses in mind so wanted to see which ones I should introduce together and which ones I can add a later time. I'd like to get them in 3 groups if possible for two main reasons: 1) cost as some of these wrasses are not cheap and 2) to try and avoid tank overload and keep the water chemistry in the QT as stable as possible. Fish will go through an observation period and prazi treatment as well. So the fish on the list are:

Pink Margin C. rubrimarginatus
Pintail C. isosceles
Lineatus C. lineatus
Rhomboid C. rhomboidalis
Labouti C. laboutei
Flame C. jordani
Red Velvet C. rubrisquamis
Diamond tail P. attenuatus
Radiant H. iridis

The tank is a 240 gallon tank with plenty of rock and open swimming space and has been up and running for over a year and a half now. The groups that I have planned to get them in are as follows:

Group 1 - Pink margin, Rhomboid, Pintail
Group 2 - Red Velvet, Lineatus, Labouti
Group 3 - Radiant, Diamond tail, flame

Will this stocking plan be feasible in accordance with expected aggression and space? Any recommendations and suggestions are welcome.
Your places of greatest risk are: 1) rubrimarginatus alongside lineatus (very closely related - might be okay give the tank size but still risky), and 2) rubrisquamis can sometimes be outright belligerent. There's a third small risk with the laboutei becoming too aggressive with maturity, but I wouldn't put much weight on that one with the size of the tank.
If you're dead set on the list, add rubrimaginatus and lineatus at the same time, and put rubrisquamis in the very last group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 35.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 17.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back