All About Reef Safe Wrasses in Aquaria

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dugless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I be concerned with adding a male McCoskers to a group of C. Rhomboidalis, C. Bathiphylus, P. Octotaenia?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I be concerned with adding a male McCoskers to a group of C. Rhomboidalis, C. Bathiphylus, P. Octotaenia?
What size tank? In most cases you should be fine if you utilize a social acclimation box.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank size is an important detail. The biggest risk is with the octotaenia, depending on that.
+1 to using an acclimation box.

Mykesocalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to get some wrasse. I have a 165 gallon system. Tank dims are 30”x60”x12”. Bare bottom about 90 or so gallon display. Current fish. Clown, yellow tang, powder brown, and tomini. Any thought on a number and what type? I don’t mind adding a sand dish or two for the sand sleepers. I have a tight fitting lid. Also on feeding, does the time of feedings matter? Like say when I get home from work at 5pm and before lights out at 10pm or should I look into an auto pellet feeder? Thanks for the help.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to get some wrasse. I have a 165 gallon system. Tank dims are 30”x60”x12”. Bare bottom about 90 or so gallon display. Current fish. Clown, yellow tang, powder brown, and tomini. Any thought on a number and what type?
The tank size is more important than the system size. Is the tank only 12" deep? You will need an extra well secured top if so, as jumping will be frequent. 5-6 different species are easily possible, provided the compatibility is there.
I won't give specific recommendations on species, as that is entirely a matter of what appeals to you, your budget, and availability. But I am more than happy to review a specific list. :)
Also on feeding, does the time of feedings matter?
Not really. Spaced apart by at least 30 mintues, and it frequent small amounts are best.

Mykesocalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank size is more important than the system size. Is the tank only 12" deep? You will need an extra well secured top if so, as jumping will be frequent. 5-6 different species are easily possible, provided the compatibility is there.
I won't give specific recommendations on species, as that is entirely a matter of what appeals to you, your budget, and availability. But I am more than happy to review a specific list. :)

Not really. Spaced apart by at least 30 mintues, and it frequent small amounts are best.
Yes 12”deep. The lid is tight and am working on getting a fully designed acrylic screen top. So I’m assuming an auto feeder is a must?

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m assuming an auto feeder is a must?
For vacations and when you're away, yes. But if you can feed 2-3 times during that 5-10PM window, than not necessarily.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the best auto feeder to use with tiny pellets? I have been training my fish to eat pellets and able to do with with good success. I never use feeder in my 30 years of marine fish keeping.
I am sure some of the veterans wrasse keeper use feeder. What is it that some of you use?

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@evolved will a red coris be ok with a pintail?
From a compatibility standpoint, yes. But understand that a Red Coris grows to 15" and will flip anything/everything over it can in search of food.

Coris and Thalassoma are two genera intentionally left out of the article.

PGT253

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
upload_2018-5-19_18-54-56.png

Is this net breeder a good acclimation box? I can make one out of the critter keeper but I'm afraid wrasses would bump into the clear plastic walls and cause spinal injury.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
upload_2018-5-19_18-54-56.png

Is this net breeder a good acclimation box? I can make one out of the critter keeper but I'm afraid wrasses would bump into the clear plastic walls and cause spinal injury.
Those are pretty small and don't leave much room for cover and a fish.

PGT253

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's about 10" long and 6" wide/high. Would it still be a good option if I'm only adding wrasses in 2" range, flashers and fairies?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's about 10" long and 6" wide/high. Would it still be a good option if I'm only adding wrasses in 2" range, flashers and fairies?
Then that should work. I thought it was one of those little ones used for freshwater livebearers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 160 61.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 90 34.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.5%
Back