All About Reef Safe Wrasses in Aquaria

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocklin Mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are several wrasses that go by the common name of Christmas wrasse. Some are a lot more aggressive than others. Do you know the species name or can you post a picture. H. ornatissiumus is pretty aggressive while H. claudia is pretty passive. Both go by that common name.

Halichoeres claudia. From Live aquaria. Is there a difference in colors? Perhaps they sent the wrong species.

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The Hooded is a big chicken when it comes to me. So it might be difficult and I would err on the side of permanent removal if I did catch him as I don’t think I’d get another chance if released. I’m trying to find an initial phase isoceles and would like to add a few more others, but it’s tough to find what I’m looking for. The tank is 30x42, 90 gal.
Yeah, I know how that goes. Young male wrasses are hard to find as the market seems to be directed toward the color of terminal males. What else you looking for? Divers Den has a few gems now. There is a young Johnsoni there. He could push the Hooded for dominance.

Dugless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I know how that goes. Young male wrasses are hard to find as the market seems to be directed toward the color of terminal males. What else you looking for? Divers Den has a few gems now. There is a young Johnsoni there. He could push the Hooded for dominance.
I really want the isoceles over the johnsoni. I’d go for both if I could, but everything I’ve read suggests against it.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Halichoeres claudia. From Live aquaria. Is there a difference in colors? Perhaps they sent the wrong species.

This is H. claudia

H. claudia.jpg

This is H. biocellatus, also called Christmas wrasse
H biocellatus3 (1 of 1).jpg

This link has a picture of H. ornatissimus

https://reefguide.org/ornatewrasse.html

HairyGary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I really want the isoceles over the johnsoni. I’d go for both if I could, but everything I’ve read suggests against it.
I plan on doing it. Just waiting to add it as one of my last wrasse. I've had a Brunneus and Isosceles together and they are closer in sub group. I think you would be ok with it. Actually, I think @evolved has them together. Diamond/pintail vs crescent tail. I am fortunate enough that my LFS owners are wrasse freaks and can get pretty much anything. They have a 220 now with a Gem tang and all wrasse. Three Johnsoni males (third one just transitioned), Brunneus, two Jordani's, Lineatus, Labouti, H. Chrysus, Melanearus, pair of Bellus, etc. I might be missing a few. The big male Johnsoni rules the tank but pretty peaceful overall.

Dugless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well shoot, I would’ve pulled the trigger on a Brunneus a few weeks ago on DD. All my preferred wrasse are in the Lunatus complex.

HairyGary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well shoot, I would’ve pulled the trigger on a Brunneus a few weeks ago on DD. All my preferred wrasse are in the Lunatus complex.
Same here pretty much. Really docile group. I have a friend here who refuses to buy another Pintail because it was too shy. Mine is great and really active but my Lineatus will nudge him once in a while to show him whose boss I think.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometime having more wrasses in a tank will defuse aggression issue, but the tank have to be large enough for all the wrasses.
In my 320, a Labouti and a Bluethroat was fighting constantly for weeks until I have to remove the Bluethroat. Now with about 16 wrasses the Labouti will orcasionally chase the other wrasses but does not key on any one wrasse. No injury or damage at all.
6B447807-5E77-4D99-BBA6-BB61E3190446.jpeg

Rocklin Mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today the temperament is gone...they are swimming together. This happens every so often. Good advice in this thread though.

ReefTeacher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 180 gal mixed reef that I am redoing to feature more wrasses. In a tank this large would it be ok to mix a C. exquisites and a C. naokoae? I know the last one is pretty aggressive and the exquisite is passive, but in a large tank with a lot of current and corals and other fish are my chances better?

My LFS has a spectacular naokoae at a decent price, otherwise I wouldn't consider it. What do you all think?

HairyGary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a 180 gal mixed reef that I am redoing to feature more wrasses. In a tank this large would it be ok to mix a C. exquisites and a C. naokoae? I know the last one is pretty aggressive and the exquisite is passive, but in a large tank with a lot of current and corals and other fish are my chances better?

My LFS has a spectacular naokoae at a decent price, otherwise I wouldn't consider it. What do you all think?
Might be but also adding any other wrasse down the road will be difficult.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Even in large tanks naokoae can be problematic to other fairy wrasses. If you were to attempt it then make it the last fairy, even then it may not work.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you treating H. Biocellatus with Cupramine? Any problems in QT?

That one went through TTM, Prazi x 3 and then 6 weeks of observation. He has transitioned to terminal phase male and looks much different now.

I now treat all my Halichoeres wrasses with CP and dewormer(prazi or general cure).

Redline 10k (1 of 1).jpg

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having a melanurus chase and nip a new moyeri leopard, melanurus doesn't chase anyone else and I have a solarensis, lineatus, yellow, 8 line flasher, isosceles, possum , and exquisite. I am going to try a mirror but today was his first day out in a week and he was forced to bury in an hour.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having a melanurus chase and nip a new moyeri leopard, melanurus doesn't chase anyone else and I have a solarensis, lineatus, yellow, 8 line flasher, isosceles, possum , and exquisite. I am going to try a mirror but today was his first day out in a week and he was forced to bury in an hour.

Did you use an acc box to add him to the display ?
You may want to trap the melanurus and put him in the acc box for a few days so things can calm down.

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CP is Copper Power, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back