Discussion in 'Fish Discussion' started by evolved, Aug 4, 2016.

All About Reef Safe Wrasses in Aquaria

Below, you will find sections about: these guidelines, wrasses which qualify as reef safe, the general requirements, feeding, shipping,...
By evolved, Aug 4, 2016 | |
  1. eatbreakfast

eatbreakfast Fish Nerd Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Expert Contributor Partner Member 2018 Partner Member

Most likely, they will not coexist longterm. H. melanurus can be quite aggressive toward conspecifics.

2. evolved

evolved The Wrasse Guy Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award AZ FRAG Member Expert Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

I agree, and do not advise that plan.

3. tom reilly

tom reilly Well-Known Member

These fish will be the cause of my "multi tank" syndrome.

evolved likes this.
  4. kashman100

kashman100 Well-Known Member Partner Member 2018

I have a 55 gallon reef tank with a clown pair and a royal gramma that have been together for years. What wrasse would have the best chance of getting along (if any)?

5. eatbreakfast

eatbreakfast Fish Nerd Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Expert Contributor Partner Member 2018 Partner Member

Most flashers, the smaller fairies, a yellow cris wrasse or a melanurus wrasse are some options.

6. evolved

evolved The Wrasse Guy Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award AZ FRAG Member Expert Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

I do enjoy spending other people's money. :D
    +1

Robink likes this.
  7. kashman100

kashman100 Well-Known Member Partner Member 2018

Cool thanks

8. terri_ann

terri_ann Well-Known Member

Thanks guys! I was afraid of that:( Have to break down a tank for months due to brain surgery soon. Will be giving them away to good homes then. :D Makes me sad to not be able to keep it(them)but cannot risk death to any of my wet pets;)

evolved likes this.
  9. fin mike

fin mike Well-Known Member

Just read this whole thread. Many thanks to you for putting it together. The time, experience and thought processes that went into making that chart are impressive. I am now more educated and better off because of your work. No more mindlessly purchasing species because "I want them". This provides a strategic guide for the novice as well as established reef junkies such as myself. Kudos to you sir!

evolved likes this.
  10. Mini Coop

Mini Coop Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

So, Mr. Hunter, you are saying to add maybe just one male of one species now, and then add another kind later? Probably not 2 males of different species in QT together?
    I am trying to re-stock my tank, didn't like wrasses, now I do, and now I have seen too many opinions and am confused. HAHA! :) Mr @Diesel told me you are the expert, so I will listen whatever order you tell me to do! :)

11. eatbreakfast

Though I'm not Hunter, Only add a single specimen per species of most wrasses. You can add a few species simultaneously. You can also add them one at a time, but if you go this route be sure to utilize a social acclimation box. Also, if adding wrasses one at a time, trying to get less aggressive species first helps.

12. evolved

Yes, and either way works. There's nothing to say you can't do 2 different species in QT at once.
    Yup, to all of that. :)

13. andrew james

andrew james Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

I have a darwin glow fairy ive had for about a year and can never find good info. Can you tell me what you know about him and any intetactions I should be concerned about?

14. evolved

It's a really close cousin to cf. cyanopleura. There was (and still is a minor bit of) some disagreement a while back if they were actually a unique species or not. I am not sure who's working on describing it (if anyone currently?).
    In any regard, any info you find regarding cf. cyanopleura (Red Head) can be extended to this species, including being lumped into the cyanopleura group here: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/cirrhilabrus-complexes-inferiority-need-not-apply.17/

andrew james likes this.
  15. andrew james

andrew james Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Awesome thank you

evolved likes this.
  16. 40B Knasty

40B Knasty Well-Known Member

I have a yellow & purple wrasse, Banana. Well Banana is an awesome busy fish to watch. I would love to get another wrasse. I need a good point in the right direction if I was to add another wrasse to my 40B w/6 fish. Spotted mandarin, swissguard, clown, grammica lined dartfish, randall's prawn goby. zoanthids, candy cane, Xenia, 2xfrogspawn. Fire and skunk shrimp, astreas& conch, red tuxedo urchin. I just want to keep the peace. Looking for a blue or red colored one that has some sweet colors! Under $150, but has to be a peaceful. Fire away with opinions. Banana is just losing his spots now and the war paint is coming across his face very nicely. He sleeps in the sandbed. Just goes back and forth about 2k a day.

17. eatbreakfast

Any of the flasher wrasse species, except octotaenia would work. Smaller fairies such as C. lubbocki, rubeus, or isoscoles would also work.

40B Knasty likes this.
  18. Cflip

Cflip Well-Known Member

Stocking question. I have a lineatus wrasse. Which to add Vanuatu condel fairy or blue flasher wrasse? Both are male. I have a female. I was hoping my female would change to male.

19. eatbreakfast

Get the flasher. Condei are quite aggressive. Your female will most likely turn into a male.

20. ruth howard

ruth howard Well-Known Member Partner Member 2018

Thank you very much for the article! My husband and I just purchased our first two wrasses. We have a very small (1" to 1 1/2") yellow coris wrasse and a larger filamented flasher wrasse in our QT. We have a sand box in the QT, as well. I want to dose prazipro, but I heard wrasses can be sensitive to prazi. What would you suggest? Thanks

evolved likes this.