All About Reef Safe Wrasses in Aquaria

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsinsocal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will make passes at the flashers too.

I've been in the hobby long enough to adopt an "I don't want any trouble" philosophy -- mostly because trouble tends to find me whenever I say "that *probably* won't be a problem". lol

When you say "make passes at", do you mean just *displaying* occasional dominance, or that there is a chance (even a slight one) that it will turn into physical conflict? If there's a chance of that happening I'll probably just stick with the Lubbocks instead. He's more size-appropriate anyway. (it would be either/or between those two -- not both)

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been in the hobby long enough to adopt an "I don't want any trouble" philosophy -- mostly because trouble tends to find me whenever I say "that *probably* won't be a problem". lol

When you say "make passes at", do you mean just *displaying* occasional dominance, or that there is a chance (even a slight one) that it will turn into physical conflict? If there's a chance of that happening I'll probably just stick with the Lubbocks instead. He's more size-appropriate anyway. (it would be either/or between those two -- not both)
Shows of dominance, not unrelentless chasing.

scobeyra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a pretty good TTM system. I have also successfully added many fish to my systems after TTM QT. The fish I just seem to have very little success with are the flasher wrasses. Now I recall reading that flasher wrasses tend to ship poorly, so I don't know if that may be one of the large contributing factors? I also add a dose of prime to each tank before I do the transfer to make sure there are no ammonia issues. Heat stays pretty consistent, I actually use a controller for the heater to keep the temp stable.

One thing I did notice about the flasher before it was laying on the bottom of the tank. The last time it was eating it would point its mouth straight up to the top of the tank to grab a piece of food, instead of just angling up. Almost like it may have had a bit of an orientation problem (swim bladder possibly?) It wasn't anything extreme but it did appear a bit different.

I would like to find a factor here that is causing this because I am hesitant to try keeping these fish right now.

One thing I remember reading recently is that adding Prime and Prazi together is a toxic combo. Not sure if you're doing that from your description but just throwing that out there.

Ciwyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I remember reading recently is that adding Prime and Prazi together is a toxic combo. Not sure if you're doing that from your description but just throwing that out there.
Well my latest attempt which ended in the same disaster I did not add any prime to the qt tank. Just monitored ammonia badges which never showed high ammonia. I added prazi during the second transfer and the carpenter wrasse looked fine after 2 transfers. Then same thing. I check on him one morning and he’s laying on the bottom of the tank with heavy respiration. It was time for the next transfer so I went to transfer him and he was still able to swim when I was attempting to catch him. Then after he was released in the new tank he laid back down with heavy respiration. Died the next day.

dsinsocal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question about Lubbock's coloration...

It appears that there is great variety in the coloration of Lubbock's Wrasses, but I was wondering if any of them were based on sex or maturity phase. This is a picture of the Lubbock's just received. I was expecting something along the lines of what Live Aquaria shows in their photo (multiple color blotches), but the one I got has a largely solid background color with two dark horizontal lines on it.

Is this a common coloration? Is this indicative of one of the transition phases, or a "new fish stress" phase, or is it permanent? Any information you can share would be appreciated. Thanks.

lubbocks.jpg

dsinsocal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And here is the little McCosker that came with him. He's less than 2 inches and already has full fledged dominant male colors. He's a ballsy little guy which is atypical of flashers in my experience (by comparison, the Blue Flasher I also got is still hiding in the rocks). Horrible cell phone photo doesn't do the colors justice.

mccosker and lubbocks.jpg

Jcarvallo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I planing in adding a Exquisity and a Pintail to my current Wrasse collection and would like to have some feedback.
I currently have Purple and Yellow (Halichoeres leucoxanthus), a solorensis faery, a Yellowfin Flasher and a Melanorus, in addition to a couple of firefish, a yellowhead goby (I´m planing to sell this one), a mandarin Dragonet and a Randall goby.
Do you think it migth work?
I m planing in using a socialization box with the pintail since is smaller, and it can handle only one fish.
Currenlty I have a 96gal tan, but will upgrade to a 125 in a couple of weeks.
It is difficult to obtain wrasses where I live and these are in my LFS so it is difficult for me to let them go.

Regards

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question about Lubbock's coloration...

It appears that there is great variety in the coloration of Lubbock's Wrasses, but I was wondering if any of them were based on sex or maturity phase. This is a picture of the Lubbock's just received. I was expecting something along the lines of what Live Aquaria shows in their photo (multiple color blotches), but the one I got has a largely solid background color with two dark horizontal lines on it.

Is this a common coloration? Is this indicative of one of the transition phases, or a "new fish stress" phase, or is it permanent? Any information you can share would be appreciated. Thanks.

lubbocks.jpg
There are 2 regional variants. Yours is the variant from Cebu. Those are standard male colors from there. The other color variant that you are referring to is the Bali variant.
Hi,
I planing in adding a Exquisity and a Pintail to my current Wrasse collection and would like to have some feedback.
I currently have Purple and Yellow (Halichoeres leucoxanthus), a solorensis faery, a Yellowfin Flasher and a Melanorus, in addition to a couple of firefish, a yellowhead goby (I´m planing to sell this one), a mandarin Dragonet and a Randall goby.
Do you think it migth work?
I m planing in using a socialization box with the pintail since is smaller, and it can handle only one fish.
Currenlty I have a 96gal tan, but will upgrade to a 125 in a couple of weeks.
It is difficult to obtain wrasses where I live and these are in my LFS so it is difficult for me to let them go.

Regards
Those wrasses will be fine together. The bigger issues are the firefish(unless they are a bonded pr they will kill each other off) and a mandarin may have trouble competing for pods with the melanurus and leucoxanthus.

Jcarvallo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are 2 regional variants. Yours is the variant from Cebu. Those are standard male colors from there. The other color variant that you are referring to is the Bali variant.

Those wrasses will be fine together. The bigger issues are the firefish(unless they are a bonded pr they will kill each other off) and a mandarin may have trouble competing for pods with the melanurus and leucoxanthus.

Thanks
The mandarin is doing fine, being really fat. The firefish are relatively new on my tank but doing well so far. Being honest I give them political asylum since my friend's Morey develop a taste for them and they have to be take out in a rush, 2 didn't make it though.

One question, Since I have the capacity to have only one of the new additions on the social acclimation box. Which one should I have in there?

Regards

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to a pet store and get a critter keeper. They are inexpensive. So then that can be a second acclimation box for you.

Jcarvallo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again.
Now I have a problem. The exquisity is not an exquisity at all. Since it does not have the oval mark on the base of the tail I think it is a Scottorum or a melanomarginatus.
If it is a Scottorum I'lll decline the buym. But what should I do if it is a melanomarginatus? I have read that is not nearly as aggressive as a scoottorum.
The pintail didn't make it through quarantine.
Do you think that it migth work with Purple and Yellow (Halichoeres leucoxanthus), a solorensis faery, a Yellowfin Flasher and a Melanorus, in addition to a firefish, a yellowhead goby (I´m planing to sell this one), a mandarin Dragonet and a Randall goby.

Last edited:

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks again.
Now I have a problem. The exquisity is not an exquisity at all. Since it does not have the oval mark on the base of the tail I think it is a Scottorum or a melanomarginatus.
If it is a Scottorum I'lll decline the buym. But what shold I do it it is a melanomarginatus? I have read that is not nearly as aggressive as a scoottorum.
Do you think that it migth work with Purple and Yellow (Halichoeres leucoxanthus), a solorensis faery, a Yellowfin Flasher and a Melanorus, in addition to a firefish, a yellowhead goby (I´m planing to sell this one), a mandarin Dragonet and a Randall goby.
Do you have picture?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again.
If it is a Scottorum I'lll decline the buym. But what shold I do it it is a melanomarginatus? I have read that is not nearly as aggressive as a scoottorum.
A melanomarginatus will be fine with those wrasses. As long as you like the look of the fish it will be fine.

Alex7845

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All
New reefer, well actually coming back to the hobby after a few years
Have a red sea max, all cycled with a couple ocellaris and a couple fire gobbies
Cuc are a few shrimp and snails
One acro, one goni, some leather corals and couple other lps

Plan is to do a mixed reef with things i love from diving experience

I won a trio of monsoon fairy wrasses at the lfs xmas event. Totally unexpected but no they are mine...
Are they considered reef safe? Any specific issues to consider ?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All
Have a red sea max, all cycled with a couple ocellaris and a couple fire gobbies

I won a trio of monsoon fairy wrasses at the lfs xmas event. Totally unexpected but no they are mine...
They are reef safe, but I would advise against keeping multiple specimens of the same species of fairy wrasse together. Females readily transition to male, even if a male is present, and males are intolerant of each other.

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi All

Welcome to Reef2Reef! Like TJ mentioned, I'd keep one. Maybe the LFS can re-home the other two and you can get two other wrasses! Good luck!

Alex7845

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef! Like TJ mentioned, I'd keep one. Maybe the LFS can re-home the other two and you can get two other wrasses! Good luck!

Hi guys
Thanks
I had to take the 3 as it seems it came from a sponsor as a package
I guess once they become a problem ill have to catch 2/3 and find someone to swap or host them

Btw great forum and resource :)

Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back