Status
Not open for further replies.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of Diamond Tail Flasher, I got an Eightline Flasher about a year ago. She was a small tiny juvenile at less than 2 inches. Now, he is 3.5 inches and about to complete transform to terminal male. Still of some fins lengthen to do. Just yesterday I saw him flashes for the first time yesterday, I got a few poor quality picture because the light is going low so picture a little blurry, but the picture still show the complete transformation. Eightline Flasher is one of my favorite fishes. I will hunt around and get a Diamond Tail later. Right now I am QT and getting a Flame Fairy into shape in my QT system so I rather not added another fish in there.

5/10/2018
eightlineflasher2018051002-jpg.1067313

4/18/2019
eightlineflasher2019041801-jpg.1064369

5/10/2019
eightlineflasher2019051001-jpg.1067185

5/19/2019
EightlineFlasher2019051906.jpg

Last edited:

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to nurse this emaciated Flame Fairy back to health. I order two medium females, and two very emaciated flame arrived. One die overnight and the other is doing better. Here is the picture of the one that live. First two picture was what I took ahead of time to use to build my case to get refund if he did not make it. This is after he started to eat already. The third picture is after a few days of heavy feeding in my QT system.
Emaciated wrasse with large head and pinched stomach, thin body.
Flame2.jpg

Flame1.jpg

5/19/2019, after feeding for about 5 days. Healing fins.
FlameFairy2019051903.jpg

FlameFairy2019051905.jpg

Benj2112

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they're the first two fish to go in, no need for an acclimation box if adding them at the same time.

Thanks Evolved. The McCosker's did not look good at all so only the Carpenter (pic of Carl at the store when I was picking him up) came home. I guess I will need an acclimation box for when the McCosker's is added.
Carl_the_Carpenter.jpg

Benj2112

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are Wrasses susceptible to attacks by hermit crabs at all? I read about them hiding in the rocks at night and I wonder about a hermit crab finding them and taking a swipe at it in the middle of the night. I don't have a CUC yet and wonder about this.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any crab can be an opportunist, but most hermits don't go after most wrasses.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ agree. No crab can every be fully trusted, but I'd not much worry about any normal sized (small) hermit that is commonly sold in the trade for a CUC. Plus, the mucus cocoon that the wrasse sleeps in does help hide/cover their scent from the crab.

I do keep hermits in my tank, fwiw.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What is your summary of Vrolik's?
It is a sister species to H. melanurus, so care and temperament will be identical. They are mostly reef safe, though may go after shrimp, snails, and small crabs as they mature. Usually good for a community tank, but may be bossy to other peaceful wrasses.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a sister species to H. melanurus, so care and temperament will be identical. They are mostly reef safe, though may go after shrimp, snails, and small crabs as they mature. Usually good for a community tank, but may be bossy to other peaceful wrasses.
+1

dsinsocal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks guys. I suspected as much but wanted to make sure. As always, the help here is invaluable.

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently listened to a podcast that recommended yellow coris wrasse heavily for helping with parasite and nuisance snail control in reef tanks, and even the online description in LA states it will protect corals and clams. Then they are labeled "reef safe with caution." (I don't have a parasite problem currently, just planning and think they could be a neat/useful addition to a tank).

Any idea why this isn't labeled a "reef safe" fish?

DrOfWelshMagic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently listened to a podcast that recommended yellow coris wrasse heavily for helping with parasite and nuisance snail control in reef tanks, and even the online description in LA states it will protect corals and clams. Then they are labeled "reef safe with caution." (I don't have a parasite problem currently, just planning and think they could be a neat/useful addition to a tank).

I believe it's because they are likely to make a meal out of desirable inverts such as ornamental shrimp.

WMR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evolved, very exceptional read, I, too like wrasses. I try to include 1 or 2 in my tank. You are the WRASSE guy

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They are, in fact, a mostly reef-safe species. There's a small chance they might nibble on feather dusters, and an even smaller chance they might eat an occasional snail or hermit once they're a full-size adult. Shrimps are generally safe.

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are, in fact, a mostly reef-safe species. There's a small chance they might nibble on feather dusters, and an even smaller chance they might eat an occasional snail or hermit once they're a full-size adult. Shrimps are generally safe.

So if I don’t really mind them eating a $0.25 member of the CuC on occasion, they should be good? I can totally handle that, I’d just hate to have them eat a skunk shrimp, pistol shrimp or something I was more heavily invested in.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I don’t really mind them eating a $0.25 member of the CuC on occasion, they should be good?
Exactly.
I’d just hate to have them eat a skunk shrimp, pistol shrimp or something I was more heavily invested in.
It would certainly be quite the rarity. Anything is possible with wild animals, of course.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s great! Are there any other smallish peaceful wrasses that get missed in the typical reef safe category, that might be a similar story?
Check the species notes on the first post. ;)

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check the species notes on the first post. ;)

Cool! Just read through that, and it seems like this applies to most of the Halichoeres wrasses. I’ll have to look at them, but there appear to be some very neat animals in that group that aren’t terribly expensive. Thanks a lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back