C exquisitus
H melanorus
H leucoxanthus
Firefish dartfish
Copperband butterfly fish
Randal goby
Dragonet mandarín
In a 150 gal + sump

I have the opportunity to add a halichoeres Iridis.
Do you think this addition will work?

Thanks

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I need some advice, currently I have:
C. Solorensis
C. Lubbocki male and c lubbocky female
C exquisitus
H melanorus
H leucoxanthus
Firefish dartfish
Copperband butterfly fish
Randal goby
Dragonet mandarín
In a 150 gal + sump

I have the opportunity to add a halichoeres Iridis.
Do you think this addition will work?

Thanks
Yes, it should be fine, just use a social acclimation box to introduce.

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
so why are dragon wrasse considered non reef safe?

Because they snails and shrimp, because they are so aggressive, because they "could" move rocks? Do they flip frags over? I really want one but don't want to get something that is going to cause terror. I have a 180gallon DT with all SPS dominant. Could really have any snails, maybe 10 very large turbo snails and 5 urchins (my favorite cleanup crew)

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so why are dragon wrasse considered non reef safe?

Because they snails and shrimp, because they are so aggressive, because they "could" move rocks? Do they flip frags over? I really want one but don't want to get something that is going to cause terror. I have a 180gallon DT with all SPS dominant. Could really have any snails, maybe 10 very large turbo snails and 5 urchins (my favorite cleanup crew)
They get big, eat most motile inverts, flip pretty large rocks, lose their green color...

Edmund Y.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Solar wrasse attacking mystery wrasse. Will it stop? Just added the mystery wrasse. Solar been in for about a month

Doc Lemonjello

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm interested in acquiring a pseudojuloides cerasinus (Shortfin Pencil Wrasse). I have an excellent LFS that quarantines and conditions the fish to feed before they sell their stock. My tank is 75 gallons and I have a few smaller wrasses (Cirrhilabrus) and my most assertive fish is a Sunburst Anthias. I have no other sand-dwelling wrasses. That being said I'm curious as to the likelihood that I can successfully keep one since I notice that they are a bit difficult to acclimate to the home aquarium. Any thoughts or experience that would be helpful?

Doc Lemonjello

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm interested in acquiring a pseudojuloides cerasinus (Shortfin Pencil Wrasse). I have an excellent LFS that quarantines and conditions the fish to feed before they sell their stock. My tank is 75 gallons and I have a few smaller wrasses (Cirrhilabrus) and my most assertive fish is a Sunburst Anthias. I have no other sand-dwelling wrasses. That being said I'm curious as to the likelihood that I can successfully keep one since I notice that they are a bit difficult to acclimate to the home aquarium. Any thoughts or experience that would be helpful?

@eatbreakfast @evolved

ascheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a friend who has both P. cerasinus (or maybe splendens) and P. xanthomos. He's had them for long and they have outlived many other fish, including other sand sleeping wrasses, through high nitrates and a bad disease outbreak. He treated them no different to other new fish - 5 days of tank transfer (without sand, surprisingly), prophylactic medication and prepared food.

I think most important is to buy one locally that you can see is healthy and eating, which for you sounds to be the case anyway. The real Hawaiian endemic cerasinus would also have had a comparatively short trip (if you are in the US) to your LFS, which is a bonus. I wouldn't hesitate to get one that is already conditioned.

Last edited:

Doc Lemonjello

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a friend who has both P. cerasinus (or maybe splendens) and P. xanthomos. He's had them for long and they have outlived many other fish, including other sand sleeping wrasses, through high nitrates and a bad disease outbreak. He treated them no different to other new fish - 5 days of tank transfer (without sand, surprisingly), prophylactic medication and prepared food.

I think most important is to buy one locally that you can see is healthy and eating, which for you sounds to be the case anyway. The real Hawaiian endemic cerasinus would also have had a comparatively short trip (if you are in the US) to your LFS, which is a bonus. I wouldn't hesitate to get one that is already conditioned.

Much appreciated!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find them similar to leopards. The first couple of weeks they are more delicate, but if they survive they are pretty hardy.

I definitely agree with acquiring one locally, so you can see firsthand how it is acting.

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone explain to me what is considered a show size wrasse?

I'm getting a super Male Lineatus, show size this week.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone explain to me what is considered a show size wrasse?

I'm getting a super Male Lineatus, show size this week.

I think "super male" is a bit of a marketing term...Probably a terminal (can't go back) male. A show size C. lineatus would be large or near max size...so, maybe, 4+"?

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They call the Super Male and Showsize when they want more money for them. :)

No doubt!

I've kind of learned to appreciate buying them as juvie/females and watching them transition. Many species are not easy to find females in but ones I recall seeing offered pretty often include some very desirable ones (Flame, Hooded, Labout's, Rhomboid and others). The added plus is they are in your system for a longer period of time.

This flame I bought for $129 as a 2" female 14 months ago. I lost most of my pictures/videos but did find a video about halfway through the transition and a recent one of the now terminal phase male.

and this 2 weeks ago.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This Eightline Flasher I got as a 1.5 inches Juvenile about 16 months ago. Now a fully developed Terminal Male
Here she was then in 4/2018
4E1D5842-77EA-4C4B-9AA8-D21A7BF7C326.png

Here he is now 6/2019
EightlineFlasher2019061603.jpg

EightlineFlasher2019062902.jpg

GtiKyle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, looking for some stocking advice.

Red sea 500 (130ish gal)
2 clowns
yellow tang
Algae blenny
mandarin
Red Head Solon wrasse
Exquisite wrasse
2 firefish

We're looking to add a few more wrasses. Would a Melanurus wrasse and carpenter wrasse be a good choice? Is there anything else we should consider?

Thanks,

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, looking for some stocking advice.

Red sea 500 (130ish gal)
2 clowns
yellow tang
Algae blenny
mandarin
Red Head Solon wrasse
Exquisite wrasse
2 firefish

We're looking to add a few more wrasses. Would a Melanurus wrasse and carpenter wrasse be a good choice? Is there anything else we should consider?

Thanks,
The sky and your wallet is the limit in your case.
All you have to to is read the first post by Hunter on THIS VERY thread.

GtiKyle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sky and your wallet is the limit in your case.
All you have to to is read the first post by Hunter on THIS VERY thread.

I did read the post. That is how i arrived at my choices. My question was for a knowledgeable person to double check my choices so i didn't miss anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back