All About Reef Safe Wrasses in Aquaria

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayKim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, yours turned into a stud. I got mine on April 19th. Got 1 male 1 female but the male sadly died next day. Here's May 22.

here's June 23rd.

VJM 21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I have not.
I see that you’re in Allentown. Not sure how the drive would be for you, but their fish selection is incredible, particularly wrasses. You’ll pay a little more, but all fish go through a quarantine protocol.

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I see that you’re in Allentown. Not sure how the drive would be for you, but their fish selection is incredible, particularly wrasses. You’ll pay a little more, but all fish go through a quarantine protocol.

I saw his website and emailed him, so hopefully he will get back to me soon

cody hendrix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the opportunity to get a lennardi wrasse for a pretty good price. I am wondering if it will mix well with my current list of wrasse. They are as follows Rhomboid, lineatus, flame,pintail,katherine, laboutei, coral sea exquisite, 3 leopard wrasse, red tail tamarin wrasse.

Thanks

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evidently I posted this question in the wrong thread...
I set up a new tank and plan to make it a softie/LPS tank with wrasses. Is there any rule to how many? I checked the compatibility chart and the 4 I ordered appear to be fine. Do i need to add any other type of possibly larger fish to break up any tension? Or will they work it out?
thx

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evidently I posted this question in the wrong thread...
I set up a new tank and plan to make it a softie/LPS tank with wrasses. Is there any rule to how many? I checked the compatibility chart and the 4 I ordered appear to be fine. Do i need to add any other type of possibly larger fish to break up any tension? Or will they work it out?
thx

What are the dimensions of your tank? What wrasses did you order....I love a new wrasse tank!

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a number of wrasses, some were aggressive in my tank with a numbers of angels and 3 tangs. They are doing great. I even have two male fairies of the same species.

I know my answer isn’t helpful, given so little information as is. You really need to give the specific so we can help more.

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So at first they'll go into a 40g QT tank. Next they'll go into a 100g. I ordered an orange back, exquisite, blue fairy & solorensis. A little worried about the Solor & the Orange back, but the Orange back is larger.

In the future I'd like to add both a labouti & lineatus, but that is down the road.

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish you the best of luck. But sounds like you acclimated the six line. That isn’t the issue. The issue is NOW that you have that 6 line in the tank. If and when you decide to add any other wrasse. You will likely have an issue on your hands due to the 6 line.
I feel the same ..... I love my sixline..... he’s the best fish ever! He’s never bothered anything or anybody. I’ve added other wrasses (orange back fairy and Naoko) and he’s never even glanced at them. He was the first fish I ever bought and I’ve had him nearly three years. Maybe he’s the exception to every rule. If he gets mean I’ll allow everyone to say, “told ya so!” But for now I stand by my opinion..... sixline wrasses are great fish and very misunderstood.....

ESAYARKAY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@evolved
Hi Hunter,

Your research and your guidance on Wrasses has been the Bible for my Wrasse collection. Every single thing you have said has proven to be true and before I found your research I experienced all the warnings that you give for things that shouldn't be done.

I need your help, please. I have the opportunity to buy a really healthy and beautiful Nursalim Flasher Wrasse. My concern lies with my Evansi and Ventralis Anthias. I saw an article which stated that the Flasher Wrasses might be too aggressive or too active for the delicate temperament of these Anthias, which could cause them to stay in hiding and eventually not even come out to eat.

My question for you is if you have experience or know this to be, in fact, the case.

The link is for the article which has been the cause of concern. I've also attached 2 pictures which are compatibility charts by this same author.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-09/hcs3/index.php
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-12/hcs3/index.php

Attachments

ESAYARKAY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for taking the time to write all of that. It really makes me feel Kamar and I'm considering bringing the Nursalim into the mix.
Can you post a video of your tank? I would love to see all those different Anthias.
And thank you also for the congratulations.

bhuyett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for taking the time to write all of that. It really makes me feel Kamar and I'm considering bringing the Nursalim into the mix.
Can you post a video of your tank? I would love to see all those different Anthias.
And thank you also for the congratulations.

Not the best video, but you will see the Pintail, Cresent and Brunneus swimming around in the vid. In addition to the Supermale Flame wrasse. Of the Anthias most hover in this corner. You should be able to catch a glimpse of three Evansi (two males and one female), and the male Amathest Anthias. I’m in the Philippines for a business trip, so not able to get an updated video with the Ventralis, sorry.

ESAYARKAY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the best video, but you will see the Pintail, Cresent and Brunneus swimming around in the vid. In addition to the Supermale Flame wrasse. Of the Anthias most hover in this corner. You should be able to catch a glimpse of three Evansi (two males and one female), and the male Amathest Anthias. I’m in the Philippines for a business trip, so not able to get an updated video with the Ventralis, sorry.

Gorgeous!

bhuyett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So at first they'll go into a 40g QT tank. Next they'll go into a 100g. I ordered an orange back, exquisite, blue fairy & solorensis. A little worried about the Solor & the Orange back, but the Orange back is larger.

In the future I'd like to add both a labouti & lineatus, but that is down the road.

What are the dimensions of the 100g tank? You already have some of the larger fairy's that will grow to 4" in size. I'm assuming it is something like a 47" Long x 19" Wide (front to back) x 23" height? Not sure if the last two dimensions are flipped. To me the 19" is a problem be it the height or width. Not much room to get away other than side to side. If it is height, you are going to have concerns with wrasses being spooked or chased and possibly jumping out or hitting the LID pretty hard, just not enough room top to bottom to compensate for a speeding missile shaped fish.

Plus your Solorensis and Orange back are from the same genus.. which isn't always a good thing either. They are more inclined to chase and show aggression to one another. Then wanting to add a Labouti and Lineatus... which are also equal on the aggression scale. The Lineatus is in the "Yellow", but depending on the size you plan on getting either he will be very aggressive to the others if larger, or if smaller you can have concerns with him jumping or stressed with the larger wrasses that are more aggressive.

My only suggestion would be to make sure to use an Acclimation Box when introducing them to the two you have now. Good Luck!

bhuyett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the opportunity to get a lennardi wrasse for a pretty good price. I am wondering if it will mix well with my current list of wrasse. They are as follows Rhomboid, lineatus, flame,pintail,katherine, laboutei, coral sea exquisite, 3 leopard wrasse, red tail tamarin wrasse.

Thanks

Curious.... What TEMPS are you running our tank at currently? The Lennardi are know to not fair well in higher temp tanks. They do much better in tanks that run Temps of 74-76 degrees. This is the main reason why I don't have one in my tank.

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a red Cori's, a melanaris and a Indo tusk in my 220. 6x24x31 I need small dither fish, and was considering some reef safe wrasses. What's the likelihood of that? There's other semi aggressive fish in the system too. Added a quoyi parrot, and my melanaris had a fit... Current stock is:

Lighning Maroon

Melanaris wrasse

One spot foxface

Tusk

Porcupine puffer

Dog face puffer

Red coris wrasse

Cow fish

Coral beauty

Niger trigger

Quoy parrot

2 large Chromis

Ill be adding a large angel and a smaller puffer likely after I add some more smaller size fish.

Starry blenny

Last edited:

Kirschy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@evolved my lfs just got fairy wrasses from the philippines. Theres c.lunatus and a c.lanceolatus. Im wondering if these would work in my tank. Its a 65g mixed reef. Fish in the tank are a perc clown, a dragonet and a golden dwarf moray that obviously worries me the most. The moray has never shown interest in the other fish and is rather shy.

Would appreciate your oppinion or anyone else that reads this!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 30 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back