OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@evolved also would a canary wrasse work as well?
One of the most mild Halichoeres, easily. But if you mean in addition to the red line, then it would just depend on the particular red line's attitude in the somewhat tight space.

Aheinz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally understandable but I was thinking of only one species of halichoeres
One of the most mild Halichoeres, easily. But if you mean in addition to the red line, then it would just depend on the particular red line's attitude in the somewhat tight space.

eschaton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years back, I had a Sixline Wrasse. He had a lot of character, he was fine with the other fishes, and I enjoyed his presence in the tank, but I came to the conclusion that they aren't 100% reef safe.

I mean, I should say that he in no way bothered any of the coral in the tank, and none of my ornamental inverts were affected in any way. But over time he decimated the population of the incidental inverts/hitchhikers. By the time the tank was torn down, not a single bristleworm was left in the main display (just in the fuge/sump). The LFS even remarked on how "thorough" he was. Also all of my spaghetti worms, micro stars, small feather dusters, spionid worms, etc vanished. I'd chalk this up to old tank syndrome, but once again there were thriving populations in the sump and fuge. He just picked at absolutely everything.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did I screw up?
I have a carpenter wrasse already in my tank. I came across a Quarantined McCosker Wrasse and ordered it. I know they look similar but will they get along?

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did I screw up?
I have a carpenter wrasse already in my tank. I came across a Quarantined McCosker Wrasse and ordered it. I know they look similar but will they get along?
Given the size of your tank they may be fine. But I would use an acclimation box when you introduce the McCoskei. You will then get an idea if the Carpenter will accept.

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anybody tell me a little about linespot flasher wrasse behavior? Also Would it be compatible with a melunarus, royal gramma, exquisite Firefish, bicolor blenny and blue green chromis?

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anybody tell me a little about linespot flasher wrasse behavior?
The behavior of all Paracheilinus, sans octotaenia, is pretty much universal. What is it you're specifically wondering?
Also Would it be compatible with a melunarus, royal gramma, exquisite Firefish, bicolor blenny and blue green chromis?
Assuming the tank is big enough, yes.

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The behavior of all Paracheilinus, sans octotaenia, is pretty much universal. What is it you're specifically wondering?

Assuming the tank is big enough, yes.
I have 80g rimless shallow.

What I was wondering is do they not quite bury themselves? It's like it would rather sit in a crevasse looking like he is dead.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I was wondering is do they not quite bury themselves? It's like it would rather sit in a crevasse looking like he is dead.
Paracheilinus do not bury - they sleep in a mucus cocoon.
The first post/article has a wide variety of info, like this:
Some genera sleep or seek refuge in the sand. These genera require a sand bed in the tank of at least 1” in depth. Also, the sand does not need to be sugar-fine, but should not be as coarse as crushed coral – this can lead to abrasions and bacterial infections for the sand-sleepers. Sand 2-4mm in grain size is suitable. Only these genera require sand; other genera sleep in a mucus cocoon in the rockwork or crevices: Anampses, Halichoeres, Macropharyngodon, and Pseudojuloides.
;)

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to get a wrasse for my Waterbox 60.2. It has a 1.5"-2" sand bed of Caribsea Fiji Pink. It will be a reef tank, so only looking at reef safe wrasse's. It will be a month or 2 before I add it to the tank. I'm introducing my first fish to the tank, a pair of XL Bullethole Clownfish, this Saturday. The plan is to add a Yellow Watchman Gobi and one other fish, besides the wrasse.

I luv the Black Leopard Wrasse, but probably isn't a good fit for me based on what Aqualocker is saying. The other Wrasse that really interest me is the Melanurus.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Thx.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The manufacturer claims 61.8 gallons, but it actually ends up being around 45 gallons.
It's basically a 60 cube, right? 24x24x18?
I hate to say, but that's not a very prohibitive tank size for many wrasses, as despite the volume it doesn't offer the swimming space many species need.
I would only consider the small Cirrhilabrus (species which don't exceed 3"), and the smaller Halichoeres (species which don't exceed 5").

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to say, but that's not a very prohibitive tank size for many wrasses, as despite the volume it doesn't offer the swimming space many species need.
I would only consider the small Cirrhilabrus (species which don't exceed 3"), and the smaller Halichoeres (species which don't exceed 5").

Yes, thank you.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
24X24X24 is about 60 gal. You are right that 24X24X18 is only about 45 gal. I don't have anything else to add to @evolved recommendations.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

interesting, i have a 24" cube too and thought all fairy wrasses were a no go. would you say anything from the lubbocki and lunatus complexes would work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back