Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@evolved How about these together in a 72x28x30?

Powder Blue Tang, Purple Tang, Convict Tang, Tomini Tang, Osellaris Clowns, Flame Angel, Spotted Mandarin, Royal Grammas, Midas Blenny, Fire Shrimp.

Want to add:

Macropharyngodon meleagris
Halichoeres chrysus
Cirrhilabrus solorensis
Paracheilinus mccoskeri
Cirrhilabrus aurantidorsalis

Definitely don't want anything happening to my Mandarin and Fire Shrimp.

Thank you so much for all your help!

Last edited:

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Powder Blue Tang, Purple Tang, Convict Tang, Tomini Tang, Osellaris Clowns, Flame Angel, Spotted Mandarin, Royal Grammas, Midas Blenny, Fire Shrimp.

Want to add:

Halichoeres chrysus
Cirrhilabrus solorensis
Paracheilinus mccoskeri

I would be concerned about the Leopard and the Yellow wrasse out competing the mandarin for food(pods). Fairy wrasses, flasher wrasses...no problem.

Your tank is big enough that it might work but I have a 72x24x21 with a single Halichoeres and a single leopard wrasse and don't have enough pods to support a mandarin.

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be concerned about the Leopard and the Yellow wrasse out competing the mandarin for food(pods). Fairy wrasses, flasher wrasses...no problem.

Your tank is big enough that it might work but I have a 72x24x21 with a single Halichoeres and a single leopard wrasse and don't have enough pods to support a mandarin.

My Mandarin eats pellets, particularly Seaweed Extreme for the last 6 years.

I have no way of knowing how many pods he’s actually eating but I observe him sucking down 3-8 pellets at every feeding.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Want to add:

Halichoeres chrysus
Cirrhilabrus solorensis
Paracheilinus mccoskeri

Compatibility there is okay, but:

I do still have this concern as well. And we might have just made a big circle now! lol

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So basically any fairy wrasses together would be okay and will not deplete pods?
You have to be careful mixing fairies - there's a seperate article (and chart) linked in this article for that.
They won't put much pressure on your pod population.
Do any of the fairy wrasses eat pests off acros?
They will not - they feed from the open water column.
Some risk present with solorensis and aurantidorsalis being in the same complex.

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to be careful mixing fairies - there's a seperate article (and chart) linked in this article for that.

Some risk present with solorensis and aurantidorsalis being in the same complex.

Oh man, I placed my order already.

I have a 90 gallon quarantine that they will be in for a month or so.

Any suggestions specifically on how to introduce them to the 262 gallon? Is there an order that they should be introduced?

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any suggestions specifically on how to introduce them to the 262 gallon? Is there an order that they should be introduced?
Together would be best.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

trying to learn, you're only saying combining orangeback and solon is likely acceptable in this case because his tank is so large, yeah?

i'd love to have both orangeback and solon, but i'm assuming in a standardish 4 foot 120 gallon that'd be a bad idea? and even if they co-existed the orangeback would likely dull out in coloration due to the solon being dominant?

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
trying to learn, you're only saying combining orangeback and solon is likely acceptable in this case because his tank is so large, yeah?

i'd love to have both orangeback and solon, but i'm assuming in a standardish 4 foot 120 gallon that'd be a bad idea? and even if they co-existed the orangeback would likely dull out in coloration due to the solon being dominant?
Yeah, the tank size helps a lot. And the orangeback being more on the mild side of the complex is the other small contributor.
I wouldn't try it in a 120.

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I read on another thread that a member had the Solon and Orangeback in a slightly smaller tank than mine and they are fine together.

Hopefully mine go well!

Conor_K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Existing: Starry Blenny, Midas Blenny, Beta, Pair of clowns.
Future adds: Pair of Twin Spot Gobies White Tail Bristletooth

Wrasse to add: Pintail, McCoskers, and the real reason for this post is I sort of fell in love with an Indo Leapord at the LFS today. Wondering if this would work out and/or if I have room for(and should wait) to do a pair. I am not set on a pair, the LFS recommended it. Would the two other males result in the Leopard transitioning?

Would be adding all wrasse at the same time unless that's not a good idea.

130ish Gallon custom tank. 48.5" x 24.5" x 25"

Much Appreciated,
C

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That combination of fish should not cause any problem. The Leopard wrasse need a sand bed. None of the other wrasse need sand. I would add Leopard early in the process rather than late. You can add multiple of the same species as long as there are no more than one male.
Rarely sometime I have heard that more than one female turn male. If this is the case there will be war.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Existing: Starry Blenny, Midas Blenny, Beta, Pair of clowns.
Future adds: Pair of Twin Spot Gobies White Tail Bristletooth

Wrasse to add: Pintail, McCoskers, and the real reason for this post is I sort of fell in love with an Indo Leapord at the LFS today. Wondering if this would work out and/or if I have room for(and should wait) to do a pair. I am not set on a pair, the LFS recommended it. Would the two other males result in the Leopard transitioning?

Would be adding all wrasse at the same time unless that's not a good idea.

130ish Gallon custom tank. 48.5" x 24.5" x 25"

Much Appreciated,
C
The species mix is fine, but I avoid pairs. Leopards can be done in a group, but there always the risk one kills off the others.

Conor_K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The species mix is fine, but I avoid pairs. Leopards can be done in a group, but there always the risk one kills off the others.

Awesome. Thanks guys. I didn't really want a pair so that makes life easy.

Cheers,
C

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which fairy wrasse(s) grow the largest? Seems that most top out around 4-5 inches.
C. lanceolatus
FB_IMG_1583687161320.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 42.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 22.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 32 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back