OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@evolved is it normal for wrasse to change the time they bury because my female dusky wrasse does all the time
I wouldn't say it's "normal" - some shifts may occur of course, a few minutes a day. But if you're talking about hours of difference, than that's certainly a bit abnormal. They do tend to stick to their schedules pretty well, once they're set.

flamez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't say it's "normal" - some shifts may occur of course, a few minutes a day. But if you're talking about hours of difference, than that's certainly a bit abnormal. They do tend to stick to their schedules pretty well, once they're set.
Sometimes she Bury at 7 pm and other times at 8 pm does chasing her reflection have any thing to do with it because she does it most of the time

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes she Bury at 7 pm and other times at 8 pm does chasing her reflection have any thing to do with it because she does it most of the time
Eh, within the same hour is fairly normal. The reflection is just a "rival" for them, so that distraction could well explain the variation.

Conor_K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my leopard in QT for two weeks now. Given some of the info I had read and his apparent visible health when i picked him up, I decided to reverse the order of my normal @HotRocks QT protocol and started with internal/external parasite precautions instead of copper.

Fish is looking great and eating well, both medicated and other foods.
I plan to continue for another two weeks, but I am thinking about skipping the copper.
LFS said they are very resistant to ich etc.., but I take that advice with a heavy grain of salt.

Thoughts/advice from you wrasse/qt pro's?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my leopard in QT for two weeks now. Given some of the info I had read and his apparent visible health when i picked him up, I decided to reverse the order of my normal @HotRocks QT protocol and started with internal/external parasite precautions instead of copper.

Fish is looking great and eating well, both medicated and other foods.
I plan to continue for another two weeks, but I am thinking about skipping the copper.
LFS said they are very resistant to ich etc.., but I take that advice with a heavy grain of salt.

Thoughts/advice from you wrasse/qt pro's?
I agree with your LFS that they are very resistant. I keep 8 of them. All different species within the genus. Except I have a pair of potters. All of mine were treated with copper. While I agree they are resistant to parasites they are also really good at carrying them in the gills while being completely asymptomatic. Like a Typhoid Mary type of thing.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chelated coppers are pretty safe for most wrasses - just ramp the levels up slowly - over the course of 7-10 days.

CoralNerd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I missed that one if it was there...
But I don't foresee any issue there. I've never seen ventralis be really bothered by other active fish.
A little disappointing the Mckosters Wrasse does pay attention to my Ventralis Anthias. Small chases more of annoyance for the Ventralis. It's pretty much similar to how the male chases the female Ventralis. TBD if I remove the Mckosters debating it but it's so nice looking. I got a blacktail Mckosters, the one that comes out of Africa.

Last edited:
OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little disappointing the Mckosters Wrasse does pay attention to my Ventralis Anthias. Small chases more of annoyance for the Ventralis. It's pretty much similar to how the male chases the female Ventralis. TBD if I remove the Mckosters debating it but it's so nice looking. I got a blacktail Mckosters, the one that comes out of Africa.
You could add a different Paracheilinus species and give him something else to focus on.

CoralNerd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You could add a different Paracheilinus species and give him something else to focus on.
If I add another Paracheilinus, which would go best with the Mckosters? Paracheilinus attenuatus because it has a diamond tail that's different from the Mckosters? Would a female be good or male?

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know a lot of wrasses aren't safe with mobile invertebrates and I know this is a thread on Reef Safe Wrasses, but I know there's hazy a zone between reef safe and not reef safe. My question is: are Sixline Wrasses safe with mobile invertebrates (shrimps, crabs, and snails) and to what extent are they reef safe? This might be difficult to answer because each individual fish is different but I would like a small clean up crew and I'm wondering if it would be worth it to have a crew because I would rather have the fish over the crew if they're not very compatible. If at all possible I would like a single blood red cleaner shrimp in my tank if any single individual invertebrate would be possiible.

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@evolved just need your input above on a compatible flasher to go with my Mckosters. Thank you

I don’t mean to speak for him, but I’ve read enough of his responses to suggest his recommendation would be... any!

Male/female won’t matter as the female will transition. I have a Linespot with mine, and they get along fine.

Use an acclimation box for longer than may seem necessary... 3-4 days.

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don’t mean to speak for him, but I’ve read enough of his responses to suggest his recommendation would be... any!

Male/female won’t matter as the female will transition. I have a Linespot with mine, and they get along fine.

That is correct.

CoralNerd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Do you find the Linespot flasher to be the most peaceful? Liveaquaria mentioned "most peaceful members of all the Flasher Wrasse."

Dempsey941

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently lost my McCoskers after almost 2 years. Kinda bummed he was the king of the tank, but the last month or so he had been spending more and more time hiding in his burrow and really only coming out to grab a couple of bites of food, but for a week he didn't even come out for food. Found what the cleanup crew left behind in the morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back