Discussion in 'Fish Discussion' started by evolved, Aug 4, 2016.

All About Reef Safe Wrasses in Aquaria

Below, you will find sections about: these guidelines, wrasses which qualify as reef safe, the general requirements, feeding, shipping,...
By evolved, Aug 4, 2016 | |
  1. HomeSlizzice

HomeSlizzice Wrasse/Angelfish nut!

Hey @evolved any chance you finished the updated compatibility chart?

2. evolved

evolved The Wrasse Guy Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award AZ FRAG Member Expert Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

A while ago, but you'll have to wait for it to be discussed at MACNA. ;)

Maritimer likes this.
  3. HomeSlizzice

HomeSlizzice Wrasse/Angelfish nut!

Haha fair enough, I can't make it to MACNA this year, so be sure to post it up after your talk is finished! Also, hopefully they'll record your talk so I can listen in later.

4. evolved

evolved The Wrasse Guy Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award AZ FRAG Member Expert Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

It will be. :)
    And yes ;)

5. becks

becks Well-Known Member

Is it possible to add a meleagris to my system that is currently housing a bipartitus?

6. eatbreakfast

eatbreakfast Fish Nerd Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Expert Contributor Partner Member Partner Member 2018

As long as neither is a male, it is usually fine.

becks likes this.
  7. evolved

^this

If one is male, then you should be okay - the risk is notched up a bit though. If both are male, it's not likely to work at all.
    Macropharyngodon are the one genus exception where male/female dynamics matter between species.

ReefNoobie88 and becks like this.
  8. mdbannister

mdbannister Ahh...the Reef Life Staff Member Team R2R R2R Excellence Award SCMAS Member Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Such an excellent read! Bumping for those who may not have seen it yet. :)

evolved likes this.
  9. bigroost

bigroost Well-Known Member

I've been doing a lot of wrasse reading lately trying to decide which ones I will attempt to keep. I would also like to have some anthias, I saw something that suggested the they wouldn't get along. What is your opinion on this? I have a 180 gallon tank I would like to add maybe 4 dispar anthias, a C. lubbocki, C. exquisitus, C. isosceles and maybe a blue star leopard. I currently have a desardini tang, a yellow tang, 2 clowns, carpenters wrasse, a mandarin, purple firefish, helfrichi firefish, and a watchman goby.

10. eatbreakfast

eatbreakfast Fish Nerd Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Expert Contributor Partner Member Partner Member 2018

Anthias and wrasses usually coexist well.

11. evolved

Agree with TJ (above); it's usually not a problem.

12. scottsreef

scottsreef Member

Hunter what are your thoughts on cirrhilabrus naokoae. I have a melanurus in a 180gal. Will they be ok? I plan to use acclimation box.

13. eatbreakfast

Naokoae should be fine with a melanurus. However, a naokoae will prevent any more flasher or fairy wrasses.

14. scottsreef

scottsreef Member

Is that true with all cirhillabrus I would want to add or is it just the naokaoe specifically? Cant I mix cirhillabrus if I only add 1 per type?
    Tks

15. eatbreakfast

Naokoae is on the aggressive side of the scale. Many of the Cirrhilabrus species can be kpt together. Naokoae is one of the problematic ones.

16. scottsreef

scottsreef Member

Ok thanks for the info eatbreakfast. I want to have more fairy's so I will have to rethink adding him. Lesson learned, do lots more reading.

17. anew2thereef

anew2thereef Active Member

Question guys,

I just bought a 6 line wrasse and he went through the QT process and is ready to be put in my display tank. But my question is I heard eventually he would kill my yellow watch goby... Is this true? If that's the case then I'd rather not add it then...

Thanks,
    @

18. eatbreakfast

He may or may not kill a yellow watchman goby. Sixlines can vary as far as how aggressive they can be, but most end up being problematic toward peaceful fish, fish added after them, and other wrasses.

19. evolved

Agree.
    Refer to the chart here: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/cirrhilabrus-complexes-inferiority-need-not-apply-1st-revision.352/

20. anew2thereef

anew2thereef Active Member

Thanks!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted